Zig's SNES Repros

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Ziggy

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

Post by Ziggy »

Those links you've provided are for the patches only, you need the ROM to apply the patch to.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/19/

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/395/

One is called "SMW2+" and the other is called "SMW2+2". They are both by the same author. 2+ is the first hack he did, 2+2 is the second hack he did. You can click to read the readme file to learn more about them.

Could they be put on a cart? The short answer is yes. The only thing to worry about would be if the hack created any bugs that would have problems while playing on real hardware. It might run fine on emulators, but there might be bugs that can cause the game to freeze (among other things) on real hardware. This is true for any hack or translation.
Arseen

Post by Arseen »

Ziggy587 wrote:Those links you've provided are for the patches only, you need the ROM to apply the patch to.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/19/

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/395/

One is called "SMW2+" and the other is called "SMW2+2". They are both by the same author. 2+ is the first hack he did, 2+2 is the second hack he did. You can click to read the readme file to learn more about them.

Could they be put on a cart? The short answer is yes. The only thing to worry about would be if the hack created any bugs that would have problems while playing on real hardware. It might run fine on emulators, but there might be bugs that can cause the game to freeze (among other things) on real hardware. This is true for any hack or translation.

I have watched the SMW 2+2 on Youtube.
Anyway, any chance that you could make cart versions of these?
I have no skill nor equipment top do it myself.
Pretty please and thank you. :D
If yes, how much would it cost, about.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I could, but I wouldn't be able to get to making it for some time.

I would suggest putting both hacks on one cart, as to use less donor carts.
Arseen

Post by Arseen »

Ziggy587 wrote:I could, but I wouldn't be able to get to making it for some time.

I would suggest putting both hacks on one cart, as to use less donor carts.

Better late than never, as Gameproductions.com said these would be impossible to create, but i wanted second opinion. :D

Well tell me when/if you are sure that these would work.

And I'd prefer separate carts, so my collection looks bigger AND I HATE MULTICARTS.
Besides how can you use the save function if you have two separate games on one cart?

BTW here are somewhat messy pictures of my collection, out of date. Will try update it soonish:
http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/i ... pic=2738.0

Thank you.
Ronnie
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hmm, haven't really posted much in this thread lately. Yes, I'm still tinkering with SNES carts. I've hinted many times to something I've been working on, regarding SNES carts. I think I'll be announcing that project (hopefully) soon. Anyways, here's a few other things I've been doing lately...

Sevin wanted me to put Star Fox 2 on his Yoshi's Island cart. YI doesn't have enough SRAM for Star Fox 2. I didn't know until recently that GSU games actually use SRAM for some kind of buffer. Isn't it neat how the InTeRnEt is full of misinformation? Anyways, Sev talked me into installing a larger SRAM on his YI cart. So I did... successfully.

^That's 1Mb of SRAM on a Yoshi's Island cart.

And below, I leave this picture to those that know what they're looking at. :D

Oh, and by the way, this stuff is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQqjggeklo I got some off eBay and used it today. It's really amazing. Here's a video of some one using it on an N64 lol : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kyaz4Zrd78 The video is awesome because of the music he has playing. I feel like I'm watching How It's made. LOL

Arseen wrote:Well tell me when/if you are sure that these would work.

Well here's the deal: I am sure that those ROMs could be put on a cart. What I can't be sure of is if those ROM hacks have any bugs that will cause problems on real hardware. Don't forget, a ROM hack might work perfectly fine in an emulator, that doesn't mean there isn't a fatal bug on real hardware. Since the game uses the GSU-2 chip, it will be impossible to test on a flash cart prior to putting it on a cart. So there's only one way to find out, and that's that. I'll never be sure until it's actually put on the cart, and even then, I don't have the time to sit and play test every inch of the game.

Arseen wrote:Besides how can you use the save function if you have two separate games on one cart?

That's actually quite possible. I recently saw some one do this very thing, they put two games on one cart, installed a larger SRAM, and had a toggle to select each half of the SRAM (one half for one game, the other for the other). Not that I know exactly how he did it, but I know that it can be done.
Last edited by Ziggy on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Well here's the deal: I am sure that those ROMs could be put on a cart. What I can't be sure of is if those ROM hacks have any bugs that will cause problems on real hardware. Don't forget, a ROM hack might work perfectly fine in an emulator, that doesn't mean there isn't a fatal bug on real hardware.

This is a very important point. Bahamut Lagoon, for example, has two different patches; one for emulators, one for copiers. If you use the one for emulators then you'll get lots of glitches and the game is unplayable.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Ziggy587 wrote:Sevin wanted me to put Star Fox 2 on his Yoshi's Island cart. YI doesn't have enough SRAM for Star Fox 2. I didn't know until recently that GSU games actually use SRAM for some kind of buffer. Isn't it neat how the InTeRnEt is full of misinformation? Anyways, Sev talked me into installing a larger SRAM on his YI cart. So I did... successfully.

8)
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
bartre
24-bit

Post by bartre »

Ziggy587 wrote:And below, I leave this picture to those that know what they're looking at. :D

The two wires that run from the EEPROM to the second mask ROM are to correct the two solder pads that I broke, they have nothing to do with the mod.

hmm, it's got the sdd-1 chip, so it's got to either be star ocean or street fighter alpha 2.
and the u1 rom has been changed, but that's not an eprom, did you swap the chips between games for some reason, or am i way off base?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well you're right, there's only two games that use the S-DD1. But SFA2 only has 1 mask ROM, and no SRAM/battery, so it must be Star Ocean. Yes, the first mask ROM has been changed, and it is not an EPROM. It's an EEPROM. It's 3.3v though, so I had to step the voltage down.

edit: DO NOT USE THIS METHOD. TO safely use 3.3v memory with a 5v supply you need a voltage regulator as well as a logic level shifter. If you use only a regulator or voltage divider, you risk damage to the cart and/or console!
bartre
24-bit

Post by bartre »

so does that mean that you found an easier way to do the english translation of star ocean?