Discuss all hardware and software modifications
evildragon
8-bit

Genesis Region Hack

by evildragon Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:47 am

I hacked my Genesis with the multi region hack.. I installed two switches on it, one labeled "50Hz/60Hz", while another labeled "ENG/JAP"...

Here's the thing.. on the genesis video out, when in 60Hz, it's NTSC like it should.. when it's in 50Hz, it's a totally messed up PAL signal, with the colors looking like this: http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/oddity.jpg

But, with the Sega 32X, it's a totally different story.. ( i do know that the 32x only uses the RGB lines, and re-encodes it, it never cares about the composite video lines )

on the 32X, when in 60Hz, it's NTSC, when it's in 50Hz, it's in the rarer "NTSC-50" signal.. Now, while that's cool with me, most of my TVs can do that (with slight adjustment to vertical hold), my HDTV can NOT..

My HDTV "expects" PAL when it's fed a 50Hz signal, which leaves me a black and white picture.. is there any way to modify an NTSC 32X to output PAL when in 50Hz? If not, what's an easy way to convert NTSC to PAL?

(i am almost considering buying a JROK RGB to Component adapter.. That would in my situation, but that's the expensive route)...
Skullmonkey

Re: Genesis Region Hack

by Skullmonkey Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:11 pm

evildragon wrote:
My HDTV "expects" PAL when it's fed a 50Hz signal, which leaves me a black and white picture.. is there any way to modify an NTSC 32X to output PAL when in 50Hz? If not, what's an easy way to convert NTSC to PAL?

(i am almost considering buying a JROK RGB to Component adapter.. That would in my situation, but that's the expensive route)...

I know this is an old topic, but I will answer it in case anyone else is having the same problems.

You have two solutions:

1) Get a PAL 32X unit, perform the PAL/NTSC mod, and use this for any PAL 32X titles that you may have.

The reason you'd need PAL 32X is because the 32X the world over are all identical apart from 2 things
a) PAL unit has a seperate PAL frequency colour crystal, NTSC seperate NTSC frequency colour crystal
b) That point where you placed your PAL/NTSC switch on your 32X, (I am assuming this has been done, otherwise about 99% of PAL 32X games won't run in an NTSC unit, even if the Genesis has been moded). The 32X is jumpered to run in PAL or NTSC.

Knowing this, if you put a moded NTSC unit under a moded NTSC 32X, switching to PAL, will only give you PAL 50, as the 32X itself has an NTSC colour crystal in it, so you will be stuck with black and white.

If you put the same Genesis under a Moded PAL 32X, you will then get PAL 60, as the 32X in question now has a PAL colour crystal.

2) Buy a NTSC to PAL colour booster. These can be fairly hard to get a hold of at a reasonable price now days, Lik-Sang used to stock them, I think play Asia still does, but don't have time to check for a link right now.

Hope that info might help someone.

Skull
Return to Hacks and Mods