Discuss all hardware and software modifications
jay_red
Next-Gen

Dual modded Wii/Ps3 arcade stick

by jay_red Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Hey guys, wanted to share with you my dual mod arcade stick. I started with a nice minty Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Wii arcade stick (very nice quality stick, just like the Street fighter 4 SE sticks on other consoles) for $35 shipped.

I then picked up an adapter that allows wii classic controllers to be used on PC, well a little research turned up that these also worked with the PS3, so I grabbed one for $10 shipped.

I initially had no intentions of keeping any Wii functionality, since I didnt even own a Wii at the time, so I had just stuffed the adapter inside the case and used the USB straight into my Ps3. I have since gotten a Wii and wanted to have the option to use it as well, so I did some cutting with my dremel.

You can see the whole thing here pretty well, I have a spot for the cable to come out of the case from the adapter, as well as the standard cable hole. I gutted the adapter from its casing and glued it into place. There is also a velcro strap that I have attached to the case to keep the wires in check.

It went pretty smoothly, the only thing else I had to change was the button wiring, I swapped them to match up with my actual ps3 stick so I can use a default setting for controls.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Re: Dual modded Wii/Ps3 arcade stick

by swiftzx Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:25 am

That's awesome!
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:08 am

does this allow you to use the 'home' button on ps3?
fvgazi
Next-Gen

by fvgazi Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:10 am

I am very interested in this! I'm assuming it's this one [ http://www.amazon.com/WII-CLASSIC-CONTROLLER-PC-USB-Nintendo/dp/B003711698/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ]

Do the buttons map well to ps3? I'd like to use my TvC wii stick as my main ps3 stick until I get around to finishing my own custom builds.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 am

fvgazi wrote:I am very interested in this! I'm assuming it's this one [ http://www.amazon.com/WII-CLASSIC-CONTROLLER-PC-USB-Nintendo/dp/B003711698/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ]

Do the buttons map well to ps3? I'd like to use my TvC wii stick as my main ps3 stick until I get around to finishing my own custom builds.

That is the adapter yes, as for the button mapping I tested what the default mapping was and figured out what button matched the ps3 commands, and then swapped the wiring untill it matched the layout of my actual ps3 arcade stick so I wouldnt have to change it in game every time. if you look at my pic and match the colors to the buttons as I have you will get the same result.

It worked ok with TvC after changing the buttons, though it wasnt how it was intended, but i dont plan on playing that game all that much honestly.

The only other thing I would mention is that the usb coming off the adapter is kind of short, so I picked up a usb extension cable off amazon too. Like a 3-4 foot would be just fine and only cost a couple bucks extra.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:55 am

fvgazi wrote:I am very interested in this! I'm assuming it's this one [ http://www.amazon.com/WII-CLASSIC-CONTROLLER-PC-USB-Nintendo/dp/B003711698/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ]

I also have this stick and adapter, the home button does not work nor does the third buttons (L2/R2) of each row by default.
If you don't want to rewire the buttons boot the PS3 up and pres the Wii Home button and one of the non working ones to switch the stick's "mode" and that fixes the L2/R2 problem.
Overall this stick is great and a cost effective for the PS3.

jay_red I love the mod and may do the same thing, or something similar, to mine.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:

I also have this stick and adapter, the home button does not work nor does the third buttons (L2/R2) of each row by default.
If you don't want to rewire the buttons boot the PS3 up and pres the Wii Home button and one of the non working ones to switch the stick's "mode" and that fixes the L2/R2 problem.
Overall this stick is great and a cost effective for the PS3.

jay_red I love the mod and may do the same thing, or something similar, to mine.

Didnt know about switching the modes, good to know since I was curious why those buttons didnt seem to register at all. Not too worried since this is mainly to play MvC3 and SS4 and only need the 6 buttons.
Return to Hacks and Mods