Discuss all hardware and software modifications
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3370
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

by Jagosaurus Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Nice work!

I only have an 80 GB HDD in my PS2, as that was the only spare HDD I had way back when I first set it up with HDAdvance. I have another network adapter that's been modified to fit a SATA drive (I think I scored it from the Charity Auction here one year) but I never got around to setting up a new HDD. I'll have a couple of spare SATA HDDs soon ranging from 500 GB to 1 TB, so I should probably use one of those. I guess the real reason I haven't got around to it yet is because the 80 GB has been working. I have something like 5-10 games that are always on there, then I just rotate the rest. If I'm playing through a game, I'll install it on the HDD. Then, if I'm finished playing through that game, I'll delete it when I add the next game.


Thanks! It was a labor of love. Also helped me part with a bunch of my physical PS2 collection. ~90% of the 109 disc images are rips of physical games I own now or did own before my sell off. That's some serious time on the PC ripping & transferring games! :shock:

Yeah, I would've already gone the SATA route also after my original 250GB IDE, but then I saved those (3) 80GB drives from work PC that were headed to an electronics salvage company. So then I had another 240GB to play with for free.

Now there's easier SATA options out of the box. These third party Chinese SATA adapters run $15 to $20. Supports 2.5 & 3.5 inch HDDs. I'll eventually go this route as most "new" IDEs are NOS on borrowed time.

https://youtu.be/SdAlDYKBZtA

Note the LAN/Ethernet port is just for show.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12272
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

by Ziggy587 Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Now there's easier SATA options out of the box. These third party Chinese SATA adapters run $15 to $20. Supports 2.5 & 3.5 inch HDDs. I'll eventually go this route as most "new" IDEs are NOS on borrowed time.

https://youtu.be/SdAlDYKBZtA

Note the LAN/Ethernet port is just for show.


No LAN was the deal breaker for me on those. That has been my primary method of dumping games to the HDD. I found it too annoying taking the HDD out to connect to a PC, then doing the reverse to put it back in the PS2.
Image
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3370
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

by Jagosaurus Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:No LAN was the deal breaker for me on those. That has been my primary method of dumping games to the HDD. I found it too annoying taking the HDD out to connect to a PC, then doing the reverse to put it back in the PS2.


I figured that might kill it for you. See, I'm the opposite, use FTP all the time for oXbox but never got around to it for PS2 scene. I get it though. Extremely convenient once setup. I'm just usually moving over multiple games at once so breaking out the IDE to USB isn't too bad.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12272
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

by Ziggy587 Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Yeah, the LAN transfer speed is really slow on the PS2. So if you're doing a bunch of games, it's definitely worth it. Heck, even for just one game, it'll probably be faster to take the HDD out and put it back. That's how I was doing it at first, but it got old. The LAN transferring is also incredibly finicky. These days, I go a long time in between using it. Every time I use it it's like I have to relearn how to use it first.
Image
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3370
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

by Jagosaurus Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Yeah, the LAN transfer speed is really slow on the PS2. So if you're doing a bunch of games, it's definitely worth it. Heck, even for just one game, it'll probably be faster to take the HDD out and put it back. That's how I was doing it at first, but it got old. The LAN transferring is also incredibly finicky. These days, I go a long time in between using it. Every time I use it it's like I have to relearn how to use it first.


Yeah WinHIIP via IDE to USB is fairly quick.

LAN can't be as slow as PS2 USB 1.0 port to HDD for POPS transfers... painfully bad :lol:. Does LAN work for POPS on HDD? I haven't even bothered googling that yet.
Return to Hacks and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests