PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-17: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via USB POPS, Em

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay, so I haven't dove into POPS HDD but I am currently back to ripping my PS2 games, organizing (both physical games & digital files), selling extras, etc. That alone is a task. I need a new external HDD just for PS2 .isos! Well, I happened to stumbled upon this awesome news I missed...

OPL - Add DualShock 3 support over USB and Bluetooth
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2170

DualShock 3 support over USB and Bluetooth thanks to @belek666

Of course you'll need a bluetooth USB adapter.

belek666 wrote:
Bluetooth usb adapters needs to support EDR. Not all dongles are full compatible. I found full working one after testing 3 adapters: http://www.nuvolashop.com/en/bluetooth- ... -play.html

Now that's slick!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

A very nice option, especially if you are across the room or like to put your system above your TV.

Kind of makes my Logitech wireless controllers less special.

I do like to stick with wired when possible though; cuts down on battery management.
...just another lost soul...
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

I haven't read this entire thread so sorry if I missed something, but I find that playing burned games via psxlauncher is much easier/more reliable, though I can understand not wanting to put any extra strain on your console. I just bought another ps2 (slim - my other one crapped out) and am for some reason having issues with psxlauncher now, it seems to freeze at the initial screen where it tells you to swap discs. The ps1 emulator would be great if it didn't seem like such a pain in the ass to set up. Maybe I need to read this more thoroughly. Haha
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@nightrnr, same. Replacing batteries is a hassle. At least the DS3 in rechargeable versus swapping out AA/AAA. I need to invest in rechargeable AA/AAA.

@Harper, the main reason is that the first thing to go out on a PS2 is often the ability to read CDs and in turn PS1 games.

I also haven't burned a CD or DVD in probably 7 years. I prefer to keep everything digital. Now ripping existing CDs/DVDs to create digital copies... I do that often 8).

POPS isn't too bad once you check out the post in this thread. I still need to get the POPS HDD method going. I recommend USB first. This could also save your faulty PS2 Slim, or at least repurpose it to a digital (USB load) PS1 machine.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Modding for PS2 and PSP is a cakewalk next to some other consoles. They were the 1st systems that I was able to use in this way.
Really, any system that has proper access to USB is golden.
The PS1 emulator on PS2 was only inconvenient because you had to search for some hard to find files. Using them was the easy part.

I feel like the golden age for soft modding has come and gone.
...just another lost soul...
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Jagosaurus wrote:@nightrnr, same. Replacing batteries is a hassle. At least the DS3 in rechargeable versus swapping out AA/AAA. I need to invest in rechargeable AA/AAA.

@Harper, the main reason is that the first thing to go out on a PS2 is often the ability to read CDs and in turn PS1 games.

I also haven't burned a CD or DVD in probably 7 years. I prefer to keep everything digital. Now ripping existing CDs/DVDs to create digital copies... I do that often 8).

POPS isn't too bad once you check out the post in this thread. I still need to get the POPS HDD method going. I recommend USB first. This could also save your faulty PS2 Slim, or at least repurpose it to a digital (USB load) PS1 machine.

Ok so last night I think I got everything together that I need for it. Except I'm having trouble finding the "pops.pak" for download. I was however in a bit of a hurry and will try again later. Hopefully after that I'll be good to go. I went through a similar process as you recently with softmodding my wii and half the fun is getting everything set up and finally having everything working so I can understand your excitement with doing this on your ps2. And I have also only recently gone the freemcboot route so it's still a bit of a learning process but that's also part of the fun. Haha
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

If you can't locate a file needed. PM me. I just don't want to post the PS1 BIOS files publicly.

Make sure to run CUE2POPS app as admin on your PC when converting .bin/.cue to vcd. Then you have to name the .elf correctly. Hope this helps below:
FROM OP:
Quick Summary:
You have to create a POPS Folder with the 2 respective app files. You then need to use a desktop app called CUE2POPS to convert your .bin/.cue PS1 file into a .vcd file. Forget using the slick GUI version. This crashed on my Windows 8 machine. Go with the CLI/Command Prompt version.

The folder named "Crash Bandicoot" you see is the VMC (virtual memory card) directory which will automatically be created by games that support it (after initial boot) for saving your game on the USB versus a mem card.

You have to rename the POPSTARTER.ELF as "XX.Exact Game Name as VCD File.elf"

Run your correctly named .elf file! and.... wait for it! seriously... after about a 15 count you'll see this glorious logo.

Yeah, tinkering is half the fun 8). I was planning on getting my POPS HDD running but instead I got MAME running on my oXbox :P. I get project A.D.D. sometimes. It is a lot of fun to play the games this way too. I like knowing I've "future proofed" the system to likely last longer.

@nightrnr, agreed. While it might seem like a lot on the surface, softmodding these older guys isn't bad. I looked a bit into PS3 CFW and decided it wasn't worth it to get OPL running on a PS3. The internet and manufacturers' updates definitely changed that world.

Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

My question has probably already been answered on here, but there is a LOT of text to go through for my simple question... so sorry in advance.

Question: If I load PS2 ISOs onto a USB drive and have FCMB, can I just run the games off the USB drive or do I need to do something special?
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

that's right Sano , i prefer SMB ( running ISO's over a Network ) the games load faster and the FMV's don't skip. I have a USB Hard Drive connected to my PC via USB and it's shared , so i just press the power button on it and go. I can stream PS1 games with POPstarter on PS2...........and on the same USB Hard Drive i have PS3 ISO's which i stream over to my PS3's ( CFW needed )
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sano wrote:My question has probably already been answered on here, but there is a LOT of text to go through for my simple question... so sorry in advance.

Question: If I load PS2 ISOs onto a USB drive and have FCMB, can I just run the games off the USB drive or do I need to do something special?

Correct as s8n said. OPL will directly boot .isos. No proprietary format such as .xbe with xbox. You have to name the file correctly and have the folder structure in place. Keep in mind that as my USB got more and more cluttered with emus and other mod files, I had a few booting issues. I recommend a dedicated OPL USB for game booting. You obviously need ULaunch.elf on your FMBC mem card to boot programs directly off USB :]

Place DVD and CD folders in the root in capital letter. Most games will be DVD, put there. Place "blue disk" games in the CD directory.

Name the game such as:
SCUS_973.99.GodofWar.iso

That naming scheme is only needed for USB. SLUS_xxx.xx or SCUS_xxx.xx . There is a program that names them for you but I just looked at my covers or checked artwork online. It is written on the spine. That is app is overkill to me.

Compatibility on USB is lower than HDD, mostly due to USB 1.0. Some games required modes enabled which as simple as going to the OPL menu (with game highlighted) and activating a mode. They have a lot of games listed but not all. Check here:
PS2 Compatibility List has a new dedicated site & easy to search GUI:
http://sx.sytes.net/oplcl/games.aspx
Table/chart is mobile friendly.
Main: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=175

PS2 Home forum has latest versions of OPL. It should be OPL 0.9.3 which has a nicer interface as well. Go to OPL subforum and hit "OPL Project - v0.9.3 [Official Release]" thread.
Forum: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/index.php

HOPE THAT HELPS! 8)

I obviously need to work on my image hosted :roll:. That is the second time photobucket has randomly done this to me. I had a photo of the games correctly named for USB that would've been nice.