Post Your Non-Auction Goods Here
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Interest in PS2 Mod Service? HDD & USB Load, OPL, PS1 POPS

by Jagosaurus Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:15 pm

I've been thinking of this for some time. Would other users be interested in me helping with modding a PS2? I can softmod to make digital PS1 & PS2 game ISOs playable off USB & HDD from authentic PS2 hardware.

My idea is to do this at no cost to you. I'd just like to help out the RB community interested in playing PS1 and PS2 digital game files on real hardware. This is also a great way to save a PS2 (phat or slim) with a broken disc drive or laser. It can save wear on a working laser as well. Of course, HDD loading requires a PS2 phat with HDD/LAN expansion bay.

I'd ask you be an established forum member with a history in BST. This is simply to prevent others from selling my time on ebay. I will also ask you pay shipping & packaging. No funny business, just cost. My initial thought is that you provide your own mem card, USB(s), or IDE HDD(s) but we can discuss. There is NO NEED to mail me the entire console.

I can throw in some test PS1 and/or PS2 game ISOs on the storage devices for your testing. I have 75+ PS2 ISOs running in OPL with a dozen or so PS1 ISOs successfully tested in POPs. Of course, I'm not selling game rips. If you see some must play games in my list of ISO titles, I can help you out. This is really for testing of your setup and so you can see where game files go for future use, etc. Keep in mind, once I have you set up, you can rip games on your PC and transfer to HDD or USB. You can also rip PS2 games directly from your PS2 disc drive from within HD Loader to the HDD.

The creators of POPs and OPL got in a p*ssing match some time ago. They started blocking integration of each other's work. There are workarounds to link POPs in OPL and run these off the same HDD, but I recommend keeping them separate on the HDD route (to avoid partitions and loop holes). For USB, we can put them on 1 device.

List of options below. What do you guys think?

Free McBoot Memory Cards
I can create FMcB mem cards. We can get more in depth and customize from there. Apps we can install:

- Open PS2 Loader
◦ OPL will boot PS2 game ISOs off HDD & USB (roughly 98%+ compatible off HDD)
◦ OPL will play import game ISOs
◦ GSM within OPL allows for 480p & HD upscaling
- POPStarter
◦ Plays PS1 ISOs off HDD & USB (roughly 85% compatible)
◦ Can force to 480i and 480p
◦ 480 support is huge! Allows me to play PS1 over component on my LCD that doesn't accept 240 over component.
◦ Supports virtual PS1 mem cards
- HD Loader
◦ This was surpassed by OPL, but today allows you to rip games from PS2 disc drive to HDD. OPL will recognize them.
- ESR
◦ Plays burned disc games. Must be ESR patched.
- UlanchELF
◦ This is the file manager essentially.
- Simple Media System
◦ Highly doubt you need a mp3 player or to watch a .avi movie in 2019, but hey.... it's fun
- Retro Emulators
◦ There are better ways to emulate but this is fun novelty to see in action.
- Homebrew - DOOM
◦ We have some Doom nutters around here with me. Doom is really the only homebrew I've bothered to get running. Launches from OPL.

This is how OPL GUI looks. Artwork can be added.

My current HDD set up. I have 2 drives dedicated to PS2 OPL and another for PS1 POPs

For PS1, you'll be booting out of ULaunch file browser (I've added some titles since).

PS2 Doom:

goatlll
16-bit

Re: Interest in PS2 Mod Service? HDD & USB Load, OPL, PS1 PO

by goatlll Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:42 pm

You know, I have modded a thousand systems but for some reason I have never been able to get Mcboot to work. So I am interested.
If you don't have any soundtracks on vinyl you are doing yourself a disservice
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:49 pm

goatlll wrote:You know, I have modded a thousand systems but for some reason I have never been able to get Mcboot to work. So I am interested.

Shoot me a PM bud. We can work out details of what you're looking for. Happy to help.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 am

Good guy Jago
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:15 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Good guy Jago

Thanks man. Spreading the love! In all seriousness, POPS & OPL are amazing. Would enjoy getting others hooked.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 pm

I'd be interested in ripping all my PS2 and PS1 games into digital form. Thanks for putting in all the research for figuring this out. Correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm assuming that I'm going to need a setup like this:

• Fat PS2
  • Memory Card
  • Ethernet Adapter
  • IDE hard drive or two

or like this

• Slim PS2
  • Memory Card
  • External USB drive

Is that right?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Correct on both. Some high points:

For PS2, you can rip games from PS2 disc drive to HDD, or do this from PC. For PS1, you'll rip and transfer from PC.

Keep in mind, the PS2 USB port is 1.0. Many PS2 games will have cut scenes that stutter over USB. Some on gameplay. I recommend HDD for PS2 OPL.

For PS1 games, the USB 1.0 port is fine. You can run POPs for PS1 off HDD or USB.

I recommend keeping POPs and OPL HDDs separate due to developers blocking each other's hooks.

Just by the nature of OPL & POPS, the compatibility is 95-98% on OPL (PS2) and 80-85% on POPs (PS1).

You may have to activate "modes" on some games within settings.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:47 pm

So it’s both. I would need a fat PS2 with an internal IDE drive and an external USB drive, but the USB drive is bottlenecked at USB 1.1 speeds. What about that iLink port? That should be able to run at FireWire400 speeds. Has anyone managed to launch games off a FireWire drive via the iLink port?

Also, is there a compatibility list?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:53 am

samsonlonghair wrote:So it’s both. I would need a fat PS2 with an internal IDE drive and an external USB drive, but the USB drive is bottlenecked at USB 1.1 speeds. What about that iLink port? That should be able to run at FireWire400 speeds. Has anyone managed to launch games off a FireWire drive via the iLink port?

Also, is there a compatibility list?

I personally use a Phat so I have all more flexibility. Having HDD in for PS2 & USB in for PS1 prevents the swapping of HDDs. I personally don't mind taking the 2-3 minutes it takes to put in my PS1 dedicated HDD though.

There was some movement on firewire at one point. I'd have to filter back through this thread but IIRC HDD device compatibility was spotty & only some phat models have firewire port. This likely isn't implemented in OPL builds which are released quite often.
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5844

OPL compatibility for PS2:
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/opl- ... ity-list-1

Fairly comprehensive list. You'll see vast majority compatible for OPL.

POPS compatibility for PS1:
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/app.php/p ... ity-list-1

List not as comprehensive. Except more trial & error.
nwalt36

by nwalt36 Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:31 am

Pm'd about ps2 setup. Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.
Return to Buy/Sell/Trade