Post Your Non-Auction Goods Here
racketboy
Site Admin

WTB: Game Cover Printing Service

by racketboy Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Just checking to see if anyone could do some high-quality case insert prints for me.
I don't have a ton of needs at this point, so I can't really justify buying a color printer just for this purpose.

I mostly want Genesis inserts right now that match the original box art as good as possible.

Here's the games that I would like covers for (mostly those that came in cardboard boxes)

Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Sonic & Knuckles
Contra Hard Corps
Dynamite Headdy
Ristar
Comix Zone
Beyond Oasis

I might have a few others later

Can anyone help out with some quality work?
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: WTB: Game Cover Printing Service

by Ziggy587 Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:20 pm

A couple of years ago when I needed to get some covers printed for the Charity Auction, I used FedEx. It was cheap, quick, and fairly painless. I was able to do it all online and had them shipped to me (although you can also select to pick them up at your local store). They were only a couple of bucks per cover. Literally like $2.

I know some places wont print such things, having copyrighted material, but I didn't have a problem whatsoever.

I'd offer to print them for ya, Racket, but I currently don't have a printer that is of very good quality.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:A couple of years ago when I needed to get some covers printed for the Charity Auction, I used FedEx. It was cheap, quick, and fairly painless. I was able to do it all online and had them shipped to me (although you can also select to pick them up at your local store). They were only a couple of bucks per cover. Literally like $2.

I know some places wont print such things, having copyrighted material, but I didn't have a problem whatsoever.

I'd offer to print them for ya, Racket, but I currently don't have a printer that is of very good quality.

All online and everything? I might have to give that a try!
Thanks for the tip :)
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Yeah, here's the post I made when I got them printed, and two posts down from that I posted some pics of them. They were $1.25 per print! Can't beat that price.

My only complaint was that they were a little dark. But those covers I made were pretty dark to begin with. If I were to do it again, I would have brightened the images up just a tad before getting them printed. But it's a gamble. A lot of times prints come out darker, but some times they're close enough. Red Genesis covers are pretty bright, so you might not wanna adjust them at all. This was also two years ago, so who knows if FedEx is using the same printers. Or if the location by you is using the same as the location by me. So maybe order just one or two covers and see how they look, then adjust the brightness if needed. You can always reorder the one or two, since they're only $1.25 each.

But other than that, they were pro quality. They looked stunning.

The only other thing, which I wont say is a complaint, is the online service had me a little baffled for a few minutes before I figured it out. It's a little picky about formats and sizes, and I wanted to be sure they'd print 100% correct size without stretching or cropping. What I did was load my covers up in Photoshop and then enlarge the canvas size to fit the next largest size print they offer, which was 8.5x14 IIRC. So basically, I had my cover with a white border around it, and the total image size was 8.5x14. Then I saved it as a .pdf which made uploading it to them a cinch. They printed and shipped the same day. I could have went down and picked them up to save on shipping, but I was too busy.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:45 am

Getting them professionally printed is probably the best option. You can do this through FedEx/Kinkos, as well as almost any copy shop.

What you want to pay attention to, though, is image quality and card stock. Rule of thumb is, 300dpi is the minimum density you want for printing any image, as there is a far higher density on paper than your screen. It's one of the primary reasons I'm somewhat annoyed with those cover sharing sites (compressed jpegs that are 72 ppi :| )

With card stock, you should go down to a local store if you have them and bring some paper examples of the kind of paper you want and some examples of the finish you want, and they can tell you the closest weight and finish you can get. As long as you don't want foil, they can probably help you out.

Also, they usually print on laser printers that are industrial quality ... so it blows inkjet away, I wouldn't really suggest people print this kind of think on inkjet at all anyway. The paper gets saturated with ink and it causes distortion and bleeding, even with the nicest printers.

Make sure you ask what's the highest quality resolution, density, and file format they can accept, and you'll want to use that as a target for your prepped images.

In obtaining the images ... you might want to get in contact with some artists you know, or do it yourself. What you generally don't want to do is just print out some jpegs you found. It can get the job done and it looks ok on a shelf, but the second you look closer at it, it looks pretty bad. You generally want to completely retouch the artwork digitally. If you can find high enough quality scans, you can use those as a base. What I would suggest doing is running them through a vectoring algorithm like in InkScape (freeware) which should be able to help eliminate the issues with scanning paper so you have a good quality source image. You'll probably want to try to find unaltered images online too for sources.

If you don't really care about the quality, then you can forget all that. But if you want something that looks pretty much official, that's generally what you gotta do. It's not too bad, just some time and effort.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Revisiting this topic. I haven’t pulled the trigger on this task but want to soon. Any fresh information?
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Stone Age Gamer prints artwork, but I believe they only print covers in their Bit Box format (which are the cases they sell). So this wouldn't help if you're looking to use official (or replica of official) Genesis cases.

https://stoneagegamer.com/bitbox-sega-prints.html
GryeDor
64-bit

by GryeDor Fri May 10, 2019 11:34 am

There's a guy on twitter who mostly does console mods and repairs, but has been doing an Etsy store for high quality CD repros including case art. Just throwing it out there, maybe could work something out to do just cover prints.

https://twitter.com/cliffsrepaircor
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Sun May 12, 2019 1:10 pm

Back when i was doing neo geo shockboxes i had them printed at my local office max was also really cheap like 2-3$ on really high quality glossy thick paper, they even cut them for me
Return to Buy/Sell/Trade