All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL RULES FOR B/S/T FORUM - READ BEFORE POSTING HERE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:38 pm 
Next-Gen
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hobie-wan wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
Here's another idea. Should we start including "neutral" feedback in the feedback thread? Perhaps designated as:

"+1.....=1......-1

Some transactions certainly seem to qualify...

Seems reasonable to me. I specifically put those dots in when people have both to delineate them and had wondered if neutrals should be given too but forgot to bring it up.

sounds like a good idea to me also.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

noiseredux wrote:
how about +1, -1 or 0 instead?

Good point as it would be easy to make a =/+ typo

~1?

My trade, sale and services - Refurbishing thread - Rough want list - Shipping weight reference chart - AC Power Adapter reference list

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm 

Hobie-wan wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
how about +1, -1 or 0 instead?

Good point as it would be easy to make a =/+ typo

~1?

I edited my post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm 

Flake wrote:
It is a notion I have been sharing for a long time. Whenever we get an influx of new members it seems like for every one or two that stick around and add something to the conversation, there are even more that head straight for the B/S/T.

Honestly it's this behavior I hate the most. I recently had a new member PM me about the two weeks rule. I responded telling him it was to prevent scamming and spammers and said it was a rule we enforced heavily. But to help pass the time, I invited him to join in the discussions. His response was to tell me to inform him when his two weeks were up, and then he left. He hasn't posted since. In fact, the last time he logged in was a day after he sent that message, which was over a week ago. I'm not going to tell him when his time is up, especially since he's refused to join in after I politely invited him to do so.

Look, if somebody joins the forum and posts mostly in the B/S/T but does come out from time to time to join in the conversation, that's fine. Maybe there's not much they feel they can add, but they add something to the community when they feel they can. But the folks who are coming here simply to sit in the B/S/T and never venture out, I see it as them just unloading their crap on us and then jetting as soon as they have money in hand. I don't see them as contributing anything, and if a deal goes south, as a moderator I have to admit that it's going to be harder for me to be unbiased towards them because I don't feel I know them at all, especially if the dispute is with an established member. And no, I'm not saying that in an attempt to drive folks away, I'd prefer they actually join in the discussions and have thoughtful conversations on a hobby we're all supposed to love so much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:58 pm 
Next-Gen

Flake wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:
Then there needs to be a 'How to use the forum' tutorial and they need to learn. Of course we all know that 90% of the visitors won't bother reading that either since many don't read the rules.
Right on both counts. Ironically, it would be members like me who would actually want to use the tutorial. I just figured out 'view active threads' like a month ago.
THIS. I think why so many repeat new threads and maybe some great discussion missed. Appreciate the honesty.

I admit I didn't know about Hobie 's method. The small font "View Active Posts" works out for me to see all the recent posts even if I don't log in for a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

CRTGAMER wrote:
I admit I didn't know about Hobie 's method. The "View Active Posts" works out for me to see all the recent posts even if I don't log in for a few days.

Didn't mean to pick on you CRT, I'd rather not add clutter that will just be ignored by most people. :)

My trade, sale and services - Refurbishing thread - Rough want list - Shipping weight reference chart - AC Power Adapter reference list

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:11 pm 
Next-Gen

Hobie-wan wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:
I admit I didn't know about Hobie 's method. The "View Active Posts" works out for me to see all the recent posts even if I don't log in for a few days.
Didn't mean to pick on you CRT, I'd rather not add clutter that will just be ignored by most people. :)
No worries, a good point about the clutter not addressing the problem.

What do you think about maybe having a "View New Posts" or "View Active Posts" in the Blue Bar? Maybe at least in a larger more pronounced Font? Waiting for Racketboy's reply as well.

Also how does everyone feel about the Buy-Sell proposals?
CRTGAMER wrote:
Two proposed changes:
1. A strict policy of only one post for a Buy-Sell or Interest Check.
2. In addition to minimum days, require minimum posts to promote discussion.
.. This in particular is useful, especially for new members with fresh ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:31 pm 

My only beef with the proposed minimum posts is that if the bar is set too high, we are going to scare a lot of people off. Some people are wall flowers, some people lurk, and others use their experience in B/S/T to get to know people on the site.

I am all for protecting the market but we need to be careful not to shoot ourselves in the foot here. We also need to remember that it is every traders responsibility to ask questions and use their judgment in a trade.

So if we do put a minimum post count, let's not make it wicked high or beyond what a person could reasonably get in the established 2 week time frame that already exists.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm 
 WWW  Profile

CRTGAMER wrote:
What do you think about maybe having a "View New Posts" or "View Active Posts" in the Blue Bar? Maybe at least in a larger more pronounced Font? Waiting for Racketboy's reply as well.

I'm using the lighter colored theme as shown in my picture above which is missing quite a few things like the 'good' search and the Racket Logo, but it has links for "View unanswered posts | View active topics" & "View new posts | View your posts" in the upper corners. Are those not there in the default black and blue theme?

CRTGAMER wrote:
[b]Two proposed changes:
1. A strict policy of only one post for a Buy-Sell or Interest Check.

Seems reasonable.

Quote:
2. In addition to minimum days, require minimum posts to promote discussion.

I agree with Flake and think this can be too off putting. I want people to post instead of hit and run too but some people do lurk a lot. The 2 week thing should keep people looking for a quick hit and run will be stymied so we just need to keep down multiple thread clutter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:25 pm 
Next-Gen

Hobie-wan wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:
I'm using the lighter colored theme as shown in my picture above which is missing quite a few things like the 'good' search and the Racket Logo, but it has links for "View unanswered posts | View active topics" & "View new posts | View your posts" in the upper corners. Are those not there in the default black and blue theme?
All showing, but not in the front home page that I think most visit.

But even when in the actual forum, the "View Active/New Posts" as well as the important Blue Bar links font is small, missed by many.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the Racketboy bloat free pages. Most sites have too much java script that take forever to load.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next