New Super Mario Bro. for DS

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
bawitback
64-bit

New Super Mario Bro. for DS

Post by bawitback »

Its been about fifteen years since the original platform debuted on the NES. Nintendo's New Super Mario Bro. Sold over 900,000 in Japan in four days, and a million in the US. Has anyone played it, what did you think? If you haven't; Check out my Review :)
CurulleanCat
32-bit

Post by CurulleanCat »

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH thats a sexy new LCD friendly layout I see. also you forgot to mention the other games you have previews of.. :)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'd love to try it out.
If all goes well, I may get a DS Lite later this year.
But I may have to decide between the Lite and the Wii
Unless business goes very well ;)
Wanderer - Vega
16-bit

Post by Wanderer - Vega »

Nice review. A couple of things in the game made me very sad.

1.) You can't throw shells up. So..you can bounce off of walls, but you can't throw shells up.
2.) Way too easy; if you get hit as Fire Mario then you turn into Big Mario(instead of going small). Likewise, if you are Small Mario and grab a fire flower, you're instantly Fire Mario(you should end up as Big Mario instead).

HOWEVER..the game has proven challenging in the replay department. Getting all three coins(like Yoshi coins in Super Mario World for SNES) on every world is a pain in the ass. They did a very good job hiding little routes to different levels and hiding things..a VERY good job(I've had to look in a FAQ for a couple levels).

I'm still working on it..infact, I'm gonna go play a little right now.
Conn
24-bit

Post by Conn »

Despite some interesting additions to Mario's moveset (climbing/swinging on ropes, wall jumps, ground pounds) I found the game boring and a bit easy. Maybe Yoshi's Island set a new standard for Mario games in my eyes, I don't know. It seemed to be banking on nostalgia way too much. Not just the Canadian commericals (which showed the first stage of SMB1; Mario hits the mushroom block, out comes a Mega Mushroom and it changes to NSMB) There were no power-ups like the Racoon, Tanuki, Rabbit, Cape, etc or even YOSHI. Come ON.

Also, the save system sucks ass. Nintendo, you allowed us to save any time in your Mario World port, why can't we do it NOW?

And not only that, but it lacks the 'addicting' sense a new Mario game always gives you. I've put barely any time into the game. Super Mario 64 drove me to continue playing it, despite me sucking ass at the game, and 64 DS kept me playing until I got everything (characters, stars, rabbits) despite being a remake.
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Game is still not that easy

Post by Mega-Dan »

I heard some people complaining about how easy it is, its still not that easy...I think its just about right. Some of the older mario games Mario 3 and original super mario were just to difficult even for me and I like really difficult games. They got to frustrating. I think the difficulty in this game, while a tad easier than I expected, I found I still died quite a bit going for the extra goodies. Its just a fun game, and thats what matters, I didnt even realize until today how many extra minigames there were, I havent tried them, but that makes the game which I considered a must buy the best game for the system. Its really that good.