Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
bmoc
Next-Gen

Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

Post by bmoc »

Limited retail and digital release for 3D All Stars....why?

EDIT: I went ahead and preordered with Best Buy. I already have these games so I may cancel before it ships. Just want to lock in that physical copy in case I decide to get it.
Last edited by bmoc on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by fastbilly1 »

I actually dont own Sunshine so I am pretty excited to finally play through it. But yeah limited run on digital games is just stupid.
Ziggy

Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

Post by Ziggy »

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is being released for the Switch on Septermber 18th. This collection includes Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy (1 but apparently not 2). All three games have a resolution bump, and Sunshine is in 16:9.

It has a limited physical AND limited digital release. Apparently it will only be available digitally until the end of March 2021. As for the physical release, it's Nintendo so who knows. I wouldn't count on being able to casually get a physical copy, if you want one you should probably pre-order it. You can pre-order it from Best Buy, I'm not sure if the physical release is available to pre-order form any where else. I just quickly checked Amazon and GameStop and didn't see it up. You can use PayPal checkout on BestBuy.com if you don't have or want a BestBuy account.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-reve ... uxbndlbing

Ziggy

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Ziggy »

fastbilly1 wrote:I actually dont own Sunshine so I am pretty excited to finally play through it. But yeah limited run on digital games is just stupid.

I'm curious to see what they do with Sunshine regarding Flud. The Gamecube had the analog triggers, which controlled how much your were spraying water. Then, if you depressed R all the way, would lock Mario in place so you could aim. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this.

So... Super Mario Galaxy 1 but not 2? I mean... Why? That seems as stupid as having the limited release, which yeah, is also really dumb. Super Mario All-Stars on the Wii had a limited physical release and no digital release, but that sort of made sense because it was just an emulated SNES game. But these 3D games, people have been wanted HD remasters of them for a long time. Why have a limited physical release? And even with a limited physical release, why have a limited DIGITAL release? That makes even less sense.
opa
128-bit

Re: Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch - LIMITED RELEASE!

Post by opa »

Gotta build that hype with artificial scarcity.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I caved and pre-ordered the physical copy. I’m a sucker for compilations of older games on modern systems.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I caved and pre-ordered the physical copy. I’m a sucker for compilations of older games on modern systems.

Same.

I am guessing we'll get a volume 2 with:

Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D World
Flake

Post by Flake »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I caved and pre-ordered the physical copy. I’m a sucker for compilations of older games on modern systems.

They are the only types of games I really buy physically anymore. Modern games require so many patches and updates that, before long, there's less on the disc or game card than there is on your video game's system memory.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

dsheinem wrote:

Same.

I am guessing we'll get a volume 2 with:

Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D World

I was scratching my head at the lack of Galaxy 2, but then I was thinking that it might be included in a second volume. Didn't someone say 3D World was already announced?

If a second volume gets released with 3D World and Galaxy 2, assuming there's a third game, my guess would be New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

opa wrote:Gotta build that hype with artificial scarcity.

And given the way some recent Nintendo releases went, the mere mention of "limited" will probably cause a crap storm. People will pre-order copies just to scalp them.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I don’t think there’s going to be a volume 2.

It’s worth saying that the limited collection may end up just being the collection. Maybe come March they’ll just release each separately one shop and up the price.