NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
User avatar
Reprise
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3628
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Earth

Re: Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

by Reprise Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Thanks, that's much more informative. If it's credential stuffing, then that's much better than I had first feared. Fortunately I change my passwords once every year or two (probably not as often as I should, but possibly more often than many) and use loads of different passwords, which I believe are all strong.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9960
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

by marurun Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:12 pm

I think the real problem is there are a lot of older accounts that haven't been updated in a long time, making them easy to stuff, especially with leaked password lists.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10808
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:23 pm

That makes sense. Thanks, guys. I feel pretty good <fingers crossed> about my security.

I do wonder, however, what someone would gain by hacking a Nintendo account? Presumably, they could play all my eShop games on a different Switch, name their Switch as the primary console, and buy games I don’t want. Is that it?
User avatar
opa
64-bit
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:25 am

Re: Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

by opa Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:36 pm

I don't know if you could use a nintendo account for this but some shady sites sell game keys that were purchased using stolen credit card info.
User avatar
Reprise
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3628
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Earth

Re: Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

by Reprise Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:42 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:That makes sense. Thanks, guys. I feel pretty good <fingers crossed> about my security.

I do wonder, however, what someone would gain by hacking a Nintendo account? Presumably, they could play all my eShop games on a different Switch, name their Switch as the primary console, and buy games I don’t want. Is that it?


This is exactly what happened when my PSN account was "hacked" a few years ago. Fortunately Sony were quite helpful and returned my console to being the primary one and kicked the other user.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8336
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

by alienjesus Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Reprise wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:That makes sense. Thanks, guys. I feel pretty good <fingers crossed> about my security.

I do wonder, however, what someone would gain by hacking a Nintendo account? Presumably, they could play all my eShop games on a different Switch, name their Switch as the primary console, and buy games I don’t want. Is that it?


This is exactly what happened when my PSN account was "hacked" a few years ago. Fortunately Sony were quite helpful and returned my console to being the primary one and kicked the other user.


My psn was hacked over Christmas and they bought lots of fortnite virtual currency, which they then apparently sell for real money. Stuff like FIFA’s ultimate team card packs are likely targets too. Presumably, similar stuff is the goal with switch .
Image
User avatar
Reprise
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3628
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Earth

Re: Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

by Reprise Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:09 pm

alienjesus wrote:
Reprise wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:That makes sense. Thanks, guys. I feel pretty good <fingers crossed> about my security.

I do wonder, however, what someone would gain by hacking a Nintendo account? Presumably, they could play all my eShop games on a different Switch, name their Switch as the primary console, and buy games I don’t want. Is that it?


This is exactly what happened when my PSN account was "hacked" a few years ago. Fortunately Sony were quite helpful and returned my console to being the primary one and kicked the other user.


My psn was hacked over Christmas and they bought lots of fortnite virtual currency, which they then apparently sell for real money. Stuff like FIFA’s ultimate team card packs are likely targets too. Presumably, similar stuff is the goal with switch .


Yeah, I think this is probably what the aim is with any hacks like this. Interestingly though, when someone accessed my PSN account they really did just make their PS4 the primary console and started playing all of my games. It was telling me on the home screen that I had recently played games I hadn't played in years and years. That immediately gave it away.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Return to Nintendo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests