Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo Account Breach April 2020

Post by Reprise »

Thanks, that's much more informative. If it's credential stuffing, then that's much better than I had first feared. Fortunately I change my passwords once every year or two (probably not as often as I should, but possibly more often than many) and use loads of different passwords, which I believe are all strong.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think the real problem is there are a lot of older accounts that haven't been updated in a long time, making them easy to stuff, especially with leaked password lists.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

That makes sense. Thanks, guys. I feel pretty good <fingers crossed> about my security.

I do wonder, however, what someone would gain by hacking a Nintendo account? Presumably, they could play all my eShop games on a different Switch, name their Switch as the primary console, and buy games I don’t want. Is that it?
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I don't know if you could use a nintendo account for this but some shady sites sell game keys that were purchased using stolen credit card info.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:That makes sense. Thanks, guys. I feel pretty good <fingers crossed> about my security.

I do wonder, however, what someone would gain by hacking a Nintendo account? Presumably, they could play all my eShop games on a different Switch, name their Switch as the primary console, and buy games I don’t want. Is that it?

This is exactly what happened when my PSN account was "hacked" a few years ago. Fortunately Sony were quite helpful and returned my console to being the primary one and kicked the other user.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Reprise wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:That makes sense. Thanks, guys. I feel pretty good <fingers crossed> about my security.

This is exactly what happened when my PSN account was "hacked" a few years ago. Fortunately Sony were quite helpful and returned my console to being the primary one and kicked the other user.

My psn was hacked over Christmas and they bought lots of fortnite virtual currency, which they then apparently sell for real money. Stuff like FIFA’s ultimate team card packs are likely targets too. Presumably, similar stuff is the goal with switch .
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

alienjesus wrote:
Reprise wrote:

My psn was hacked over Christmas and they bought lots of fortnite virtual currency, which they then apparently sell for real money. Stuff like FIFA’s ultimate team card packs are likely targets too. Presumably, similar stuff is the goal with switch .

Yeah, I think this is probably what the aim is with any hacks like this. Interestingly though, when someone accessed my PSN account they really did just make their PS4 the primary console and started playing all of my games. It was telling me on the home screen that I had recently played games I hadn't played in years and years. That immediately gave it away.