NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: SNES Misconceptions Over the Years

by o.pwuaioc Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:07 am

Axelay isn't one of my favorite shooters either, but it is an incredible game. Just not my cup of tea. R-Type III has some great graphics, some advanced tech, and great music. I know of very few people who dismiss it outright. Super R-Type, on the other hand...
marurun

by marurun Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:09 am

The reason so many shooter bog down is that the SNES just doesn’t seem to be able to perform a ton of collision calculations efficiently. Space Megaforce is one of the few SNES games where the developers (Compile, apparent masters of collision code) really figured out an approach to collision math that the SNES could do well with. Other SNES shooters are good despite slowdown.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:41 am

Super Aleste is another good and early-ish example. The backgrounds are more tiled (square-shaped) and not super varied or detailed, so maybe that plays into it.

R-Type III is well put together otherwise (though I personally found it way too frustrating), just talking about slowdown.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Return to Nintendo