Best / Most Interesting Controllers for the SNES?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Best / Most Interesting Controllers for the SNES?

Post by racketboy »

I'm planning on revamping some of my old 101 Beginner Guides for consoles (some are over 12 years old Face with open mouth) You can find the full series here http://www.racketboy.com/guide/retro-gaming-101

I'm planning on starting with the SNES as it's obviously an important one, but it's also the most dated and simple one compared to newer guides -- You'll see in some of my newer ones, I have little controller/accessory guide -- like this one for the Saturn http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega-sat ... ners-guide

With that being said, what SNES controllers and accessories are worth showcasing. These can be ones from the original retail era or more modern creations. With so many out there, I'd like to focus on the best and most interesting.

Thanks in advance!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Best / Most Interesting Controllers for the SNES?

Post by Anapan »

Having an Asciipad was a status symbol among my group of friends back in early high school.
One of my friends had an Interact SN Programpad. We'd record the characters finishing moves for Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 before starting a tournament.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'll second the Asciipad; it felt basically the same as a stock controller in your hand but then had turbo and autofire.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Oh yeah, Hori's SGB Commander is really cool. I lent mine out to a friend, and kinda forgot about it until just now - Super Gameboy.
The mouse, of course - Mario Paint.
The Super Scope is probably worth mentioning, but nobody I know who had or has it liked it or used it more than the first few days.
I don't know anyone IRL who has even seen a Super Multitap, let alone play a 3 or 4 player game.
Newer stuff - 8bitdo's wireless receivers so you can use their many bluetooth controllers including the tiny "Zero 2" or their cheap DIY board to convert your own OEM controller to bluetooth.
Game Genie? Broadcast Satellaview? Those early backup devices with floppy disk drives?
SD2SNES allowing the homebrew community to add PCM soundtracks and FMV to classic games
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

If you want the most interesting as in weird, well look no further than the Turbo Touch 360!

There was also a Genesis version.

I think the two most interesting "controllers" are the super rare exercise bike and US Army light gun.

https://snescentral.com/article.php?id=0793

http://snescentral.com/article.php?id=0901

The Acclaim Dual Turbo wireless set was fucking awesome in the 90's, but the IR wireless technology is just unusable today since we have BT.

Which raises the question... Are you looking for controllers of when the SNES was relevant? Or anything, which would include currently produced stuff? I have new stuff listed here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52551

This page has a lot of controllers listed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ccessories

There's a lot of generic SNES multi taps that were made, but the coolest is the Bomberman multi tap! How else are you suppose to play 3-5 player Super Bomberman?

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I think I'm going to aim for the best recommendations in this modern era, but then make more simple notes of other stuff.
Then I can either link to an external page (either another site, if one exists or build my own) that has like a more thorough catalog of accessories with pictures)
Kyuss015

Post by Kyuss015 »

I think you could include the Hori Fighting Commander pad. It is essentially a super snes controller but the shoulder buttons have been moved to the face of the controller as you can see . It makes playing fighting games a lot easier and each button also features variable auto functionality . The way the other face buttons are in place doesn’t make it useful for some games such as Super Mario World but it can be useful for games that let you remap buttons . I noticed this was release alonsigned the SNES classic but was surprised to see an actual SNES version released . Since I prefer six button pads like the Saturn, this has become quite a functional controller for me. Like other Hori controllers it also a licensed Nintendo product.
Attachments
715A880E-BD51-4986-9725-EF986BDDE349.jpeg
715A880E-BD51-4986-9725-EF986BDDE349.jpeg (27.78 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Thank you! I will include this!