Wii Remotes (Off Brand?)

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
SpaceBooger

Wii Remotes (Off Brand?)

Post by SpaceBooger »

I was trying to play my Wii the other day and the emulators keep messing up. At first, I thought it was the emulator or the hack (which I have used for years) but I figured out that it was the Wii Remote not working (using it caused the home button to trigger at random times).

I logged on to look for new Wii Remotes and they were hard to find for a decent price. There was a plethora of off-brand ones on Amazon. My question is, are there any good off-brand Wii Remotes? Does anyone here use any that they would recommend?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Re: Wii Remotes (Off Brand?)

Post by marurun »

I went looking for this same info a few years ago and never did find a satisfactory answer. I can say that, based on the varied reviews, ALL of the off-brand units are lower quality. Whether that reduction in quality is meaningful or not is something I don't know.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Quality does something to me and I mainly use the Wii in my room for emulation. I love the official when used sideways like a NES controller.
Quality may not be work the triple pice off the original vs the $15 off-brand.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

SpaceBooger wrote:Quality does something to me and I mainly use the Wii in my room for emulation. I love the official when used sideways like a NES controller.
Quality may not be work the triple pice off the original vs the $15 off-brand.

The few times I tried playing with a third party wii-mote, I was disappointed with the results. The buttons were mushy. the d-pad was unresponsive. I would recommend you just pay the money for a nintendo brand wii remote.

If you want to save money, you could consider a wii-mote withOUT the motion plus. Most original Wii games do not require motion plus, but WiiU does require motion plus. The wii-mote with motion plus costs more than the wii-mote without motion plus. Double-check the back of the boxes on your favorite Wii games. Aside from Skyward Sword, most of the good wii games play perfectly fine without the motion plus.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Technically I have 8 working official remotes. 4 motion plus for my WiiU and 4 regular for the kids Wii. The one I want to replace is for my Wii.... Yes I have 3 Wiis set up.
Really, I should just use the ones I already have and resync if needed for another console...or just not have 3 Wiis hooked up at once. LOL
BLOG | BST
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

SpaceBooger wrote:Technically I have 8 working official remotes. 4 motion plus for my WiiU and 4 regular for the kids Wii. The one I want to replace is for my Wii.... Yes I have 3 Wiis set up.
Really, I should just use the ones I already have and resync if needed for another console...or just not have 3 Wiis hooked up at once. LOL

Retro gamer problems :lol:
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

This is a deceptive one. It looks like a legit special edition, but not:
Wii U Remote Controller, Built in Motion Plus Remote and Nunchuk Controller with Silicon Case and Wrist Strap for Nintendo Wii and Wii U (Retro White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082F7VH5S/re ... lEbXRFD9EY
BLOG | BST
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I have used these before:
https://www.amazon.com/PL-8560B-Controller-Wii-Blueberry-Nintendo-6306000/dp/B008U2XJNA/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wii+controller+candy&qid=1580341795&sr=8-3

Very cheap and plastic-y feeling and I'm not sure about the longevity. However, they seemed to function okay.

Personally, I'd look for a lot of Wii stuff in a yard sale or an ebay listing. My first-party Wiimotes have stood up to quite a bit of use over the years. Surely used controllers would be okay (assuming they weren't thrown through a television during Wii bowling).