SNES Classic - What's YOUR list of games ?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

SNES Classic - What's YOUR list of games ?

Post by Ziggy »

So at this point, adding games to your SNES Classic is trivial (grab an app, connect your SNES Classic to your PC, click a few buttons, done). The SNES Classic comes with a good list of games, but it's missing some must have gems.

Although it's possible to use external storage and put the entire SNES ROM set on there, what's the fun in that? So there's a few rules for this thread...

1) There's a 30 game limit. Why 30? Because this is about how many covers can be shown on the thumbnail bar.

2) Although 30 is the limit, you can choose any number of games less than 30 if you desire.

3) You can choose ONLY SNES and SFC games (I say this because it's possible to load emulators for other consoles).

4) You CAN remove any of the original 21 games if you choose, so all 30 games are up to you!

5) In the spirit of "I wish THIS is the list of games Nintendo included," no hacks, homebrew, or similar. Just officially released games.

"What's your favorite X games for X console?" threads have been done to death, but I thought this would be fun nonetheless since it's a real situation. I've decided that I want to add games to my SNES Classic using the above rules, and I thought it would make for a fun thread. I'm going to post my list later on, I want to think about it some first.

I think the list of games that Nintendo included are all solid choices with the exception of one. Kirby's Dream Course. I understand that there's licensing to consider for third party games, but there are so many first party SNES games that they could (and should) have included instead of Kirby's Dream Course. SimCity, Pilotwings or Kirby's Dreamland 3 would have been much better choices. But I think it's criminal that they included Kirby's Dream Course over SUPER MARIO ALL STARS!
Ziggy

Re: SNES Classic - What's YOUR list of games ?

Post by Ziggy »

OK, I think I've come up with my list!

Subtract:
Kirby's Dream Course

Add:
Arkanoid - Doh It Again
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Final Fight 3
Hook
Mortal Kombat II
Super Bomberman 2
Super Mario All-Stars
TMNT IV - Turtles in Time
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

So my complete game list would be:
1 Arkanoid - Doh It Again
2 Contra III: The Alien Wars
3 Donkey Kong Country
4 Donkey Kong Country 2
5 Donkey Kong Country 3
6 EarthBound
7 Final Fantasy III
8 Final Fight 3
9 F-ZERO
10 Hook
11 Kirby Super Star
12 Mega Man X
13 Mortal Kombat II
14 Secret of Mana
15 Star Fox
16 Star Fox 2
17 Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
18 Super Bomberman 2
19 Super Castlevania IV
20 Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
21 Super Mario All-Stars
22 Super Mario Kart
23 Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
24 Super Mario World
25 Super Metroid
26 Super Punch-Out!!
27 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
28 TMNT IV - Turtles in Time
29 Yoshi's Island
30 Zombies Ate My Neighbors

The only game I removed from the original 21 is Kirby's Dream Course, so I was only able to add 10 games to the existing ones. This was really hard to do. I had to ax quite a few of my favorite games. But my goal was to have a list of good games to have a plug-and-play style console, not necessarily my all-time favorite 30 SNES games. I was tempted to remove Super Mario World and add the version of All-Stars that includes SMW, but I wanted to keep as many of the original 21 games as I could. I also wanted to make sure I was adding games that have good 2-player modes in addition to being a great single player game. And after considering this, I realized that the original 21 is lacking beat em ups! That said, I also wanted to make sure I had a good range of genres.

So I only ever intend to use the SNES Classic as a plug and play type of console. That said, I wanted games on there that I can play at any time. For example, E.V.O. Search for Eden is one of my favorite SNES games, but how often can you play it? Versus something like a platformer that you can play often. I envision bringing my SNES Classic around with me, and who knows what mood I'll be in? So I needed to choose games that I'm almost ALWAYS in the mood to play. And then it would be a bonus if I had some good multi player games on there, if I happen to bring it somewhere with friends.

I feel like my additions are real obvious ones, with the exception of two. Arkanoid Doh it Again and Hook. These two are favorites of mine that probably aren't nearly as popular as I would think they are.

Arkanoid Doh it Again, unlike the NES Arkanoid, is relaxing. It isn't insane and boarder line impossible to beat like the NES game. And there's MANY more levels. I don't enjoy playing it on a real SNES so much these days because the passwords are such a pain in the ass, so this will definitely benefit from save states! I wanted to get at least one good puzzle game on the SNES Classic. It was between this, Bust-A-Move, and Little Magic (SFC) which are probably my three favorite puzzle games for the SNES. I went with Arkanoid because it has a 2-player mode and level builder, so I figured I'd get more bang for my buck. I just discovered The Lost Vikings which I really like, but it's too new to me to be a favorite just yet.

Hook is my favorite SNES platformer after the Mario games. It's not too long, but I'd give it a high score in every other department. It's definitely one of those games that I can plow through often and never get bored with it, so it must go on my SNES Classic for that reason alone! Although it's not long, it doesn't have any passwords or save function which is always a bad thing in my adult life. So this will benefit from save states as well.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I've been thinking this over, as I recently received a customized SNES Classic. However, my fiancee has also declared there are several games that we must play together, so I don't think she'd ever let me remove them. I was considering swapping out everything I'd beaten and continuously updating based on what I play through, but that may not be the case. I'll have to mull it around a bit more.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I don't really want to remove any of the included games on my SNES classic, but there are nine I'd like to add. I'm thinking I need to add a few beat 'em ups to my SNES classic.
-Turtles in Time
-Final Fight
-Knights of the Round
-Super Double Dragon
-Captain Commando
-King of Dragons
-Maximum Carnage
-Separation Anxiety

Oh, and come to think of it....
-Sparkster! I'm a big fan of Rocket Knight Adventures on Genesis, but I've never played the SNES sequel. I should check it out.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ack wrote:However, my fiancee has also declared there are several games that we must play together, so I don't think she'd ever let me remove them.

Damn, Ack. Why you gotta hold out on all the details? Shoot. (Translation: What games are those? I'm curious.)

My list is going to look pretty funky to most, but in alphabetical order:

1. Donkey Kong Country 3
  2. Cosmo Gang: The Video
  3. Dragon Quest I & II
  4. Dragon Quest III
  5. Dragon Quest V
  6. Final Fantasy V
  7. Hamelin no Violin-hiki
  8. Jaki Crush
  9. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079 (for the nostalgias)
  10. Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden
  11. Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (for Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei)
  12. Mickey's Magical Adventure
  13. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition
  14. Rockman & Forte
  15. Rockman X
  16. Seiken Densetsu 3
  17. Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing: Endless Duel
  18. Shin Megami Tensei
  19. Soul Blader
  20. Super Mario RPG
  21. Super Mario: Yoshi Island
  22. Terranigma
  23. Umihara Kawase

A few of those are just in there to fill things out a little more--like Dragon Quest V, and Shin Megami Tensei--even though I'd rather play them on other consoles.
Ack

Post by Ack »

pierrot wrote:
Ack wrote:However, my fiancee has also declared there are several games that we must play together, so I don't think she'd ever let me remove them.

Damn, Ack. Why you gotta hold out on all the details? Shoot. (Translation: What games are those? I'm curious.)

Ha, sorry, I was rushing when I typed. These are the games she demands be kept:

Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Kart

These are all games she used to play with friends or in college while sitting in someone's dorm waiting for them to get out of class. They hold a lot of good memories for her. We've revisited Mario Kart a few times, but this may get her into the game room more.

Well, that and if I could find a decent chair for her. She complains about how I play games on the floor.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Get a high-quality bean bag chair, like a Fuf
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Oh, I was kind of expecting them to all be multiplayer, like maybe she really wanted to get good at Street Fighter II, or something, but that’s cool.

I actually can’t believe you game on the floor still. No wonder you only play thing on PC these days. :P
Ack

Post by Ack »

Haha, I've pretty much always played console games while sitting on the floor. I am from Alabama, after all.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

pierrot wrote:[*]Kidou Senshi Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079 (for the nostalgias)

Ah yes, who among us doesn't feel wave upon wave of childhood nostalgia whenever the phrase "cross dimension 0079" is uttered? I'm tearing up just thinking about it.