NES in 2019 - clone console or original?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
opa
128-bit

Re: NES in 2019 - clone console or original?

Post by opa »

I like the idea of the retron 5. It'd be sweet to have an all in one retro machine with rom patching. However, I've seen comments that people have experienced broken cart slots (either arriving broken or from use). Now granted I don't know how rough randoms on the internet are on their consoles but I've seen the same complaint on every other clone system review. Im thinking at the moment I'm gonna go for a cheapie clone if I can't find a decent original.
Anyone have any cart slot issues with the retron 5?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Original model Retron 5 systems had some issues. The cart slots were indeed rather crappy.

The new model seems just fine (I have both, for the record).

Assuming you're buying new, you shouldn't run across an older model Retron 5.

I still recommend the RetroFreak over the Retron 5, especially if you're into the PC Engine, FDS, or SG-1000.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I still recommend the RetroFreak over the Retron 5, especially if you're into the PC Engine, FDS, or SG-1000.

So I've just read this about the Retro Freak... "Here is the real kicker: the Retro Freak will also allow you to rip and install all these games from the cartridge onto the console with the use of an SD card!" Does that mean you could put ROMs on an SD card and boot them on the Retro Freak? Or does it prevent you from doing that, only allowing to rip a game from a real cartridge?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ziggy587 wrote:Does that mean you could put ROMs on an SD card and boot them on the Retro Freak? Or does it prevent you from doing that, only allowing to rip a game from a real cartridge?

Yes, you can indeed download a bunch of ROMs from the internet and place them on the SD card (this is the only way to play FDS games on the thing actually, there's no disk drive!).

However, you're "supposed to" just rip from carts. The whole "downloading" business is never mentioned or suggested in the console's instructions. Wink wink nudge nudge.

But yeah, the ripping aspect is amazing too. I generally just play my own carts, and I only have to insert one once, that very first time.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Can you also read/write cartridge save data? Or just ROM?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Save data is dumped too! (This is true of both the Retron 5 and RetroFreak).
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Um... I accidentally clicked "bump this topic". Didn't know that was a thing. Oops.

I guess I'll update. I still haven't gone out hunting for an original console. Work is keeping me busy. I may just go retron 5 after all... We'll see!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'd also make sure you know your HDTV.

My 3 Vizio sets will only let me force to 4:3 over 480p on HDMI. Move to 720p or 1080i/p it hard sets to 16:9 widescreen in the TV menus. It's up to the output device at that point on 720p and up to force 4:3. For that reason I steer clear of most "on a chip" devices as the video settings are limited and I want 4:3.

Now... fortunately more clone devices are starting to have a 4:3 & 16:9 aspect ratio toggle switch (see Hyperkin RetroN 2 HD for NES & SNES).

Keep in mind the expensive upscalers (Framemeister & OSSC) have these options built in at device level & the RetroTink outputs at 480p already.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Get an AVS.

that's how you do it in 2019.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Original model Retron 5 systems had some issues. The cart slots were indeed rather crappy.

Just wanted to second this (I know it is an old post), my original model Retron 5 has been in its box for a few years as eventually, each and every slot on it died. On the NES slot i pulled a game out and literally a pin flew out of it. Horrible piece of hardware.