The Yoshi Series

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: The Yoshi Series

Post by Reprise »

Although I was also incredibly confused by its title as a sequel to Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece and one of my favourite games of all time. It's a huge shame that they were never able to follow it up with a title that matches the original's quality.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So although I own a legit Yoshi's Island SNES cart with a save file that I got pretty far in, and although I started a new save file so I could play the no crying hack on my Sd2snes, I decided to start a new save file on my SNES Classic just because it was more convenient to play that this weekend. One thing I've noticed is that Nintendo doesn't even call this game "Super Mario World 2" on the SNES Classic. It is simply Yoshi's Island.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, so I've made it to mid World 3 in Yoshi's Island.

Does anyone else think this game is a tad slippery? I always have an adjustment period after not playing this game for a while. When you tap left or right, the camera pans pretty fast. It's almost dizzying, and it always takes me a little while to get used to. But also, Yoshi himself seems a tad slippery when you're doing tight platforming. I often find myself falling off of small platforms when I'm concentrating on avoiding enemies.

I've already mentioned, I think the soundtrack to this game is amazing. There's so many memorable tracks, but I especially love the underground theme in this game.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I made it to World 6 last night. This is officially as far as I've ever gotten in this game. I'm hoping to beat it this time! Is World 6 the last world?

Since I'm playing on my stock SNES Classic, I'm playing the vanilla version of the game with crying. Honestly, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. In fact, I hardly even notice the crying at all.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ziggy587 wrote:I made it to World 6 last night. This is officially as far as I've ever gotten in this game. I'm hoping to beat it this time! Is World 6 the last world?

Since I'm playing on my stock SNES Classic, I'm playing the vanilla version of the game with crying. Honestly, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. In fact, I hardly even notice the crying at all.

World 6 is indeed the last world! And good job! World 5 ain't no joke, but world 6 is where the kid gloves really come off!

And in response to how the game feels kinda slippy, I think I know what you mean. Compared to how Mario moves in something like Mario World, Yoshi defeinitely has a much more Luigi-ish fluttery and momentum-filled speed to how he moves. Just getting down Yoshi's physics are probably one of the bigger parts of dealing with the game's difficulty, tbh XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think that's why I never come back to Yoshi's Island if I put it down for too long, because I get rusty at the controls/physics. But if I start a new save file, by the time I get to the later game I'm more adjusted to the controls.

edit: Ha, just came across a Yoshi's Island jazz medley (insaneintherainmusic): https://youtu.be/NU9KCsTSILU
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Just beat Yoshi's Island for the first time! It feels good to finally cross this one off my list. I want tackle some other Yoshi games now, but I think I'll take a break from the series so I don't get burnt out.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ziggy587 wrote:Just beat Yoshi's Island for the first time! It feels good to finally cross this one off my list. I want tackle some other Yoshi games now, but I think I'll take a break from the series so I don't get burnt out.

Awesome! How'd you like it? Was the last world difficult? :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The last world was difficult, but the difficulty rise was consistent throughout the game. World 6 was a little challenging, but fun and not maddening! Overall, I loved the game. I always liked it, but this time it finally clicked with me.