Best HDMI NES?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Best HDMI NES?

Post by SuperDerpBro »

High-Def NES or retroUSB AVS or Nt mini? Pros? Cons?

I've been putting off buying one of these for a long while. Mostly because.. expensive. Also, i know it will make me end up buying a Super NT, and possibly a Mega SG, too. Worse ways to spend near 1k Canadian LGBT bucks but i'm not sure i want to go down that hole... But i guess i am ready :(
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Ziggy

Re: Best HDMI NES?

Post by Ziggy »

The Hi-Def NES is a mod kit for a real NES that will add HDMI out. The AVS and NT Mini are FPGA clone consoles. Quite a huge difference there. You're either getting a REAL console or a CLONE console.

If you choose to go with a clone, the AVS is still in productions while the NT Mini is not. The NT Mini is currently going for over $1,000 on eBay, but you can get the AVS for $185 new.

Here's a top loader NES with the Hi-Def NES installed and a recap, probably wont find one much cheaper than this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Loader-Hi- ... SwL-Bc3hXx

As usual, My Life In Gaming is one of the best resources to learn about these three...

Hi-Def NES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI60A3DpI6w

Analouge NT Mini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMwBxL5ZlGw

retroUSB AVS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSidnlOhd4
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

AVS it is. :)

Wont actually cost me too much if i sell both my AV Famicoms i never use :)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

And for what it's worth, I sold my Nt Mini. I got a really good resale price on it on eBay after I got fed up with out sensitive the cartridge slots are (even with diligent cart contact cleaning). The jailbreak firmware is a nice bonus, but not as refined as its newer Super Nt Mini (not that it plays NES ROMs). But to me, it was better to just take the resale money. I'm kinda hoping Analogue does a new NES in the near future, but could invest in modding an NES or picking up an AVS.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Thanks RB.

DAMIT.. need to buy a GBA Consolizer now too.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

I absolutely adore my Analogue NT Mini, but since I've never tried out the AVS I can't really make any comparisons. I haven't had any troubles with the cartridge slots either, everything I've thrown at it has worked without issues right away.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ghegs wrote:I absolutely adore my Analogue NT Mini, but since I've never tried out the AVS I can't really make any comparisons. I haven't had any troubles with the cartridge slots either, everything I've thrown at it has worked without issues right away.

Wow -- consider yourself lucky. Some of my carts could work ok after cleaning, but I could not get my Punch Out cart to play without glitches/quick blackouts -- NOT a game where you want that to happen (unless you're one of those guys that has that game pretty much memorized). I probably un-assembled,, cleaned, and reassembled that cart about 14 times trying to get it to work reliably. And I didn't see any physical marks on it -- it looked nice and shiny.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Just gave it a try with Punch Out - worked fine on the first go, I played through the first title bout without any issues. Have you tried your cart with any other consoles?

Most of my collection is Famicom carts (including Punch Out) so I've mostly been using the NT Mini with those rather than NES carts. But I don't recall having any problems with NES carts either, I was using it for NES Tetris just a little while ago.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Instead of buying an AVS, Super NT, Mega SG, GBA Consolizer, and whatever is comming next. I bought a $220 (CAD) Dell 3060 micro with a i3-8100T to run RetroArch on.

I would have loved to try a Mister but i didn't want to spend much more than i did. For something that doesn't really seem ready yet.

Anyways, I cant play my carts on it but it should serve me well for everything up to light Wii games. :D

And i don't have a 1200+ CAD hole in my savings :)

Well, i could retrode some carts on it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

That’s a perfectly legitimate way to play. I say go for it. Emulation gets better every year.