U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

Post by noiseredux »

racketboy wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:I'm all for ports of older to as many consoles as possible. I have a hard time seeing it as a negative to consumers in any way. I'm with Soap, it's less cynical than half-assed remasters which are trying harder to get you to double dip.

This. But also they help reduce the resale value of the Wii U copies I'm buying now for me and my kiddo.
Yay for cheap games on a non-popular console!

Exactly! Honestly, the U is such a fun console to be picking games up for right now as they are almost all dirt cheap.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Being an avid wii u buyer when it was alive, I do not mind the ports to switch at all. Outside of Mario Kart, I didn't feel like the added features were of that much worth to merit another purchase. I can miss out on funky Kong and not bat an eye. The same for captain toad content. I played the hell out of it and got my money's worth and feel no need to revisit for a handful of levels... Especially at a premium price.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I love the ports and I would like more. I don't like playing with the WiiU gamepad at all, so the more that gets carried over, the less I have to use it ha. I didn't pay for many WiiU games full price anyway, so that hasn't been a big issue for me.

Ziggy587 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Even more interesting is something like Captain Toad which is on U, Switch and 3DS.

I think Captain Toad pisses me off the most. I rather enjoyed this game on the Wii U. The Switch version adds a few things, mostly 2-player and the Odyssey levels. But the Switch version also has the DLC levels. But the game plays way better on the Wii U. I guess if you're in handheld mode, the Switch wont be any different than the Gamepad. But if you're docked, the touch controls are kinda awkward the way they're implemented in the Switch version. Most of the time this doesn't matter. But the on-rails level was very difficult to aim.

So the game plays better on the U, but there's more content on the Switch. It's a trade off either way.

It's funny, cause Captain Toad is one that I'm especially looking forward to playing on the Switch :lol: I really enjoyed playing it on the WiiU, but I really didn't like the touch screen sections (I don't like switching between looking at the pad and the TV) and I especially didn't like the minecart sections. For some reason I just couldn't ever get those sections to aim correctly. I would always have to twist around weirdly or it would jitter around and make it hard to aim. Maybe it will still be awkward on the Switch, for me it will probably be at least somewhat better than on the WiiU.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I actually find the U pad really comfortable to hold since it has some form to it. When it comes to Virtual Console games for instance, I always opt for the U version rather than 3DS.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Doesn't bother me. The Wii U versions of things I have will still work as well as they ever would have. If the Switch version ends up being preferable, cool. It'd be preferable if the license transferred, a la PC gaming or Xbox BC, but ports to new platforms are better than just letting things get obscure/rare/expensive.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Maybe it will still be awkward on the Switch, for me it will probably be at least somewhat better than on the WiiU.

Let me know what you think after trying it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Ziggy587 wrote:I have no animosity toward Nintendo for doing this. I guess I'm mostly angry with myself for wanting to buy the same games twice, for little to no reason.

Yeah, seems like you need to change your mindset and tell yourself you don't really need something when you legitimately don't. I have the same struggle when it comes to retro compilations. I managed to keep myself from buying the latest Genesis compilation on current consoles, so far.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Pft. You're talking to the guy who bought a PS4 primarily because it's the first (and so far only) console release of the official English version of Rondo of Blood! I bought a PSP for the same (and only) reason. :P
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ports are good. I have most of the decent first-party Wii U titles by Nintendo, and I'll just stick with those. No reason to rebuy them on the Switch. I tend to think of original versions of games as more "definitive" anyway, and I prefer them over future iterations.

I am amused that we now have a game called New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on the Switch.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I was pretty surprised to see Zelda BotW WiiU still on the shelf at Wal Mart earlier this week. It was the lone WiiU game!

I like that more folks are getting a chance to experience these, but I also wasn't a WiiU owner. I think a proof of purchase for a highly discounted DL copy would be cool. Not sure how'd they'd accomplish this to avoid folks passing around 1 copy though.

Also, I think when people look back on the WiiU as a failure, they'll have to consider these ports sales figures in the subsequent generation. Software sales are where the money is, and sure they were able to crank these out with minimal overhead costs. Then, there's intangible factors like, how many users/parents bought the Switch with this part of the library in mind. They definitely beefed up the library fairly quick. Much quicker than normal current game development time-frames. Also, not to mention the Switch is basically the opposite of the WiiU idea combined with an NVidia shield. I don't think without the WiiU, they ever get the end point of the Switch design. They're linked in multiple ways.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5