Cleaning the Switch pro controller

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Cleaning the Switch pro controller

Post by Dikdikvandik »

My Switch pro controller is a mess. Compressed air fixes the dust but there's another problem, the oils from my hands are reacting with the shell so some parts of my controller

Glass cleaner didn't fix it, Lemon pledge didn't fix it. Maybe a higher grade Alcohol might fix it?
I'm to think of modding the controller and if I can't keep the plastic clean I might swap out the shell.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Re: Cleaning the Switch pro controller

Post by Arenegeth »

Sorry, but are you frequently playing with dirty hands?

Because under normal operation circumstances, Windex or and equivalent cleaning solution should be enough to keep the controller clean considering you clean it semi-regularly, like let's say once a week.

In any case, the best way to clean your Pro controller, is the best way to clean any controller or system since time immemorial. Disassemble, put under the faucet and scrub with detergent (usually dish one works fine) and some fine brush (you don't want to scratch the plastic).

There's YouTube videos on how to disassemble a Pro controller and pretty much every official controller under the sun, though the Pro controller is a bit more fussy than some older controllers were, shouldn't really have any problems dissembling it and putting it back together.

After that, and considering you do not use it with particularly dirty hands, you should be able to keep it clean with either a window clearer solution or my favorite choice, alcohol based baby wipes. There's electronics specific wet-tissues but at least in my area they are not as easily found in any convenience store like the alcohol based baby-wipes, but any wet-tissue option that doesn't leave a residue (some baby wipes do) would do.

Also, for the future and if possible, given your set up, try to keep your controller in a drawer or container of some kind when not in use, it avoids any dust build up that way.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I'm not the controller is just getting this odd sheen in some places. A few friends of mine have similar issues

Controllers I don'f often use I do have in a storage bin. I have a case for my Switch pro as well.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Maybe the finish just wears smooth if using it a lot?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

It's a little of all. The matte finish with enough gripping/movement can rub away to the shiny smooth plastic undercoat. I've seen this a lot with second hand controllers out in the wild. If it's not worn odd are it's hand oil mixed with dust in the environment and an isopropyl alcohol rub down, even if needing to be firm with it, will break it away. It's just the nasty design of the eye pleasing lame materials used now. In the day you really didn't see it unless someone was so abusing and dirty of a controller they'd grub a brownish yellow ring around a d-pad area or some buttons.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

So replace the shell with something else when I mod it?

some parts of my XBOX One controller are getting a bit smooth too, and I've had it less than a month, it's not as bad though.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Hmmm I don't know.

My Pro Switch controller seems fine, and I wish I could say I haven't used it very much, but just between Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Octopath Traveler I must have more than 500 hours total with it.

My Xbox One controller, which I've used extensively and pretty much exclusively on PC (I don't have an XBox One) is also fine, and I haven't been cleaning it as regularly as the Switch Pro controller.

Same with my PS4 controller.

Could this be a regional and/or climate thing?

All my controllers are European, though theoretically this shouldn't matter at all, and my Switch Pro controller is the Xenoblade Chronicles one.

Unless I'm missing something here, how does this shiny sheen affects gameplay or texture in any way? Is it even? Is this just an aesthetic thing?

I'll be getting the Super Smash Bros controller soon and since it will be brand new, I will compare it with the Xenoblade one and see if there's any difference and I'm missing it.

Another thing I could suggest for potentially fixing this, though I'm not exactly sure what the issue is at this point, is one of the Novus plastic shiny and/or scratch removers. If that doesn't fix it, nothing short of a Retr0Bright (which is silly on a non-yellowed colored controller) will.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Preergo wrote:Hello beside charging one with a turned on console is there an ac power supply or whatever to charge the Pro controller? Thanks for any help

You can charge your Pro controller with anything that supports a USB slot, with the USB-C cable that comes supplied with the controller.

I've never charged mine on the console itself, I have charged one by plugging it to a PS4 while it was on, and currently I have the cable plugged in on one the USB slots on my PC.

Having said that, I tried plugging it in an IKEA KOPPLA USB charger and it wouldn't charge, everything else I plugged in work, so it must be specific to the controller or that it was USB-C (both micro and mini that I tried worked). But IKEA replaced the KOPPLA with some newer fancier USB chargers, so it will probably work on newer stuff.

Other than that, I don't know if there's any third party docks for Pro controllers or anything, there's plenty of stuff for the Joycons though.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Dude was either a troll or a spammer. Half his posts were nonsense
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

marurun wrote:Dude was either a troll or a spammer. Half his posts were nonsense

Could be. He had listed his location as Croatia, could be an English language barrier also.

Though there was an influx of bots/spammers here recently, I thought that kinda stuff stayed in comment sections, guess they're going after forums now too.

Oh well, the information I provided is still relevant, you'd be surprised how many people don't know you can charge these controllers from any USB source, and not just from the consoles they are for.