SuperNT Save States?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: SuperNT Save States?

Post by racketboy »

Oh. Just curious how it is easier on Software emulation the Hardware emulation.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

racketboy wrote:Oh. Just curious how it is easier on Software emulation the Hardware emulation.

With emulation being software, you can save the state of the emulation and software to disk, take a snapshot of it. With hardware, this is being done physically electrical currents, tough to take a snapshot.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I remember when I bought my Mega ED V2 there was caveat the save states weren't 100%. They worked but could be a bit quirky at times. I had them get what I can only assume to be corrupted for Castlevania Bloodlines.

Also, my M-ED V2 save states worked on both actual Genesis & clone hardware.

Unfortunately, the N8 ED save states only worked on real, original hardware. I couldn't get them to take on clones.

That said, have someone with a NT & SD2SNES test. As JMustang mentioned, more going on at a physical circuit level.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

racketboy wrote:For carts that makes sense. But with the SuperNT letting you play ROMs off an SD card (and so many other great settings) I was hoping for more.

You're making a flawed argument about the SuperNT over the SD2SNES having any value. SuperNT is as bad if not worse than the everdrive when it comes to chipped games. Given what it costs to get Mega Man X2 and X3 for the SNES, the SD2SNES is covered. Now figure all those FX1 and FX2 games, the SA1 titles like the 2 Kirby's and Mario RPG and the third parodius and panic bomber w from japan and you're into the profitable range there. Taking it yet another step, all chips work but 4 currently and 2 of them are being worked on (SDD1 is far along, and he SPC7110 is not.) There are 2 chips, both Japanese, and both for just one single SHOGI game due to advanced AI routines that'll never get added as they're larger than the space the FPGA has to use. In the end the SD2SNES this year or next will support basically every single SNES ROM other than 2 Japanese shogi games. You're looking at hundreds in games, maybe a grand worth of games over what the jailbroken SuperNT can do.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I think assigning these rom files values is flawed. The monetary value in the games is having the original carts and such, not the files on a card.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
racketboy wrote:Oh. Just curious how it is easier on Software emulation the Hardware emulation.

With emulation being software, you can save the state of the emulation and software to disk, take a snapshot of it. With hardware, this is being done physically electrical currents, tough to take a snapshot.

I guess that does make some sense.
I don't suppose you know of where the team mentioned this at least semi-officially (that it would be a challenge/problem)?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

This was in a forum referencing discord chat.

save state was discussed on here previously by members and contributors and I believe what was decided was that it may be possible but the time needed to do it well would make it unlikely that it did happen.
Also, save states would likely be more unstable on a system like this in comparison to pure emulation so even if they did the work to support having them on an emulated system like the Nintendo minis so if people were relying on them they may actually cause more problems than they solve for people.
It was a while ago this was discussed but that's the way I remember it, hopefully if one of the tech guys involved in the discussion remembers it they give a better explanation than I could.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

There is a build around that does save/load states on the SD2SNES. Some speedrunner cam guy called Furious I believe did it, and it worked ok with issues, then did some bug fix after that and I guess it made it more stable.

But the real reason here I am posting is this: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... d2snes.rar
(SDD1 support, and it works great, you're welcome.) :)