Can we talk about 3DS models?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Can we talk about 3DS models?

Post by noiseredux »

So I've been considering re-acquiring a 3DS for myself. My wife claimed my old original model years ago when I picked up an XL. And then over the years I got rid of the XL figuring we could just share the OG 3DS. But she uses hers a lot so I've been looking into getting another for myself. I'm just not sure which model to get. I should mention that I'd like the 3DS to be totally portable. Like comfy enough to keep in a pocket. The original 3DS is a nice size, though kind of bulky I think, given the screen size. The XL has a great screen size, though maybe a bigger body than I'd like.

So I think my main thought is that I'm considering either another original 3DS which is decently sized for pockets and can be acquired for like $75ish, but has a tiny screen; or a New 2DS XL which has a bigger screen and I've HEARD is pretty thin and has a smallish body. I can get one of those for like $125. My main question is... is the upgrade worth the price hike? If it is, then I'm in. But I don't want to waste money either.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Can we talk about 3DS models?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Two things...

Most of the OG models I've seen that actually go in pockets get that scratch ring on the upper screen (from the bottom border).

I am almost certain on this but recalling from a few year back... DS games, when ran at native resolution (hold start upon booting) on a 3DS XL are almost the exact same size as the DSi XL. Meaning you have a DSi XL and 3DS XL in one without stretching games out to weird aspect ratios. Cool bonus.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

What he said about the scratch bit too here.

That said, did you care about using 3D mode at all?

Yes? - Look into the New3DS model they shut down if you want smaller, or suck it up and get the XL. Also camera is now based on headtracking for 3D so it's stable.

No? - Save some money, get the New 2DS XL (the 2DS is a big flat not going to pocket brick.)

Either way don't rely on the old guts, go with the New. There is a far too slow growing library of games that only work, or are optimized to work (Hyrule Warriors should have been required it's that bad) on the NEW style systems. Xenoblade, Minecraft, and some others need it or they won't happen at all much like the translucent GBC games in the day.

If price is a problem, NOA store, get a refurb, still has the 1yr warranty with a price cut.

See the thing is with the NEW model you get a 2x faster CPU and I think spread around its 4x the system RAM there. The system now boots up from menu pretty well instantly without the wait. The browser if you even used it is pretty peppy unlike the old 3DS where it dragged like some old java flip phone browser from hell. An example, some games greatly boost load/performance time using it. Smash Bros is like loaded up in a few seconds to the menu, but like almost a minute I think it was on the old model. The old 3D if you shifted the system even a centimeter off center you'd get double vision instead of 3D depth, but the NEW model uses as I said the camera to head track you so it stays stable even if you shift it all over the place. There are plenty enough perks to justify the buy there.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

No.
/thread

Just kidding.

Jagosaurus wrote:I am almost certain on this but recalling from a few year back... DS games, when ran at native resolution (hold start upon booting) on a 3DS XL are almost the exact same size as the DSi XL. Meaning you have a DSi XL and 3DS XL in one without stretching games out to weird aspect ratios. Cool bonus.

While I believe you're correct, I didn't like the picture quality of original DS games since they appeared washed out despite the resolution being similar. I ended up just getting another DS Lite.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Thanks for the input guys. To answer a few things - I don't care at all about the 3D effect. I definitely don't want the non-clamshell 2DS vanilla, as the goal here is to find the most comfortable model for a pocket. The faster booting that Tanooki mentioned is certainly worth considering the "New" models for. I think I'm leaning towards the New 2DS XL, but don't want to be too hasty.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

From what I've read, the New 2DS XL has some tradeoffs that just may not be quite worth it in today's market. It is a little smaller than a New 3DS XL, but that comes at tradeoffs to speaker quality (meh) and battery life, along with a short stylus.
The less-reliable aspect of them is that with a New 3DS XL, you're playing a panel lottery - you can luck out and get an IPS screen, or not. Far as I know there isn't that chance with the 2DS XL - pretty much gonna get TN screens with that.

I think a consideration is that the original price gap isn't always there. The MSRP for the New 3DS XL and New 2DS XL are $199.99 and $149.99 respectively...but Amazon has routinely been selling the SNES edition New 3DS XL (exclusive to them AFAIK) for $149.99. So while I agree that losing 3D isn't a huge deal, if you also lose the $50 difference in price it feels like you might as well go for the 3DS. That version does skip on including the AC adapter though, if you don't already have one (I bought one, but, I already had an extra new in box adapter).
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well that would help knowing the 3D part. I'd have to agree with all there is, that best choice would be to pay the little extra for the NEW 2DS XL. The price is less than the 3DS model, the size of it is rather small still in profile, and you get all the perks of the New model outside of the 3D so you can do those more powerful titles if they're an interest. There are plenty of color choices now so you have that as a perk too. I think they just put a new color out with MK7 installed on it already as well as I saw it at the Meijer over the weekend and it shocked me how small the box was.

And since the site warned me of the added post as I tried to set my own. I agree with that logic there. If you can score the $200 3D unit for the price of the 2D unit ($150) just do it. Even if you don't want to use the 3D, you may find it useful in a game or two, so why leave money on the table? As far as the panel thing goes, that's really getting into nitpicking territory as I've seen that come up for years over multiple devices and it's just not that big of a deal unless you're really touchy about it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I have a New 2DS XL as well as a New 3DS XL (one Japanese- and one US-region), and I will say that the build quality on the 2DS XL is definitely noticeably worse than the N3DS XL. The shorter stylus is definitely annoying, but honestly I had the same problem of it being too short on the N3DSXL, but each model now has extendable styluses available online for pretty cheap, so that's not too much of an issue anymore unless you just don't wanna spend the extra 5 bucks for a comfortable stylus.

I've had problems with the N2DSXL's buttons kinda sticking pretty dang soon after I bought it. Not like, unplayable, but for the first time I'll turn it on, the smaller shoulder buttons or the X face button will make me do a harder 'click' the first time I press it, and then they're fine. I don't know what's causing it, but it's an issue I've never had on the N3DSXL. I've never had any problems with the N2DSXL's speakers, and I also like how both the micro-SD card and the game card-slot are hidden away behind a clasp on the bottom of the console so you don't need to take off the back of the unit to upgrade your micro-SD like the N3DSXL, and there's just NO chance of the game card accidentally falling out or getting pushed in your pocket. I would definitely say that even though it's a liiiittle bit bigger, the N3DSXL's build-quality pros outweigh its cons, but the N2DSXL isn't entirely worse and does have its plus-sides.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hmm, Gamestop has an online only bundle deal that seems inciting. It's a refurb New 2DS XL that comes with NES Remix and Sonic Generations for $130 (normally $170). Given that they sell used systems alone for $120, this seems like a nice price. My concern is the condition of everything. In fairness, comments have all said that the refurbs are in really good condition. But I have no way of knowing if those games are new or used, and if used will they be cart only?

I wonder if I could exchange in store if the console screen is scratched, or if the games end up being cart only?
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Could the bundled games be digital instead of either boxed/cart only?
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|