Building a Super Famicom Collection

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Re: Building a Super Famicom Collection

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Sarge wrote:So most of my Super Famicom collection doesn't even get played, because they're all RPGs I can't understand. But I recently got this bug where I wanted legit copies of some of these awesome fan-translated titles, so I started importing quite a few that weren't crazy expensive. My favorite title that we never got has to be Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Amazing, amazing game. It's basically RPG Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator.

Super UFO+IPS patches for the games you're looking for.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Front Mission for the SFC is beyond cheap!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I agree that Front Mission: Gun Hazard is great. Cybernator/Valken is probably my favorite side-scrolling mecha game ever, so definitely check that one out if you haven't.

Actraiser is one that warrants a peek, its a nice and unique game. I'm certain this is an unpopular/maybebad opinion, but I think Actraiser 2 is absolutely lovely, one of the better 16-bit action games, stunning visuals, nice slower-paced "thinking man's" action. The setting and theme set around the deadly sins is portrayed so, so beautifully. At least give it an evening and see what you think, it has a learning curve with its pretty varied moveset, but I think things may click for you once you get used to blocking and diving.

Final Fight games are obvious, the port of 1 is kinda bad, but I thought 2 stood well as a sequel that keeps the feel of the original in tact, and 3 (my personal fav) takes things up a notch, adding quite a healthy amount to the formula. And, while slight sprite changes aren't usually enough to push me to importing, losing an iconic character in Poison just feels wrong, so I went SFC on these.

Contra III is the best run 'n gun ever made, imo. The US version, to me, is actually better, since it locks the TLB strictly behind the excellent Hard mode. Feels more rewarding there, rather than the JP placing it in both Normal and Hard. Both versions are excellent either way, though.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is also very good, if you like these sorts of games. But, it probably doesn't need mentioning either.

Wild Guns is killer, obviously. Even if "light gun shooters" aren't normally your thing, this game plays at arcade clip, and dodging and shooting around the stages is damn fun. I also think Pocky and Rocky is an excellent game, and nicely rounds out Natsume's efforts on the console with Wild Guns and Ninjawarriors. Sadly, Pocky and Rocky 2 seems a clear step down in quality, wasn't a big fan of that one. Their Power Rangers side-scroller is also pretty good, and uses a sort of pre-TNWA engine. And, the 1v1 fighter plays pretty similar to Endless Duel, which is great.

A few more super obvious ones, but for my money, Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country 2 are the best platformers on the system, and some of the best ever made. The RPGs hardly need mentioning either, but Super Mario RPG is the tits. Its known about, but occasionally seems to get a bad rap as a "kiddie rpg", but its mixture of genres, timing-based combat, music, and general vibe hit home with me, love the game to bits.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I enjoy a lot of SNES games, but current prices are stifling for some of them. I pared my collection down to just 15 titles and I don't regret it. The SNES is one of those consoles where I think having just a few beloved titles is a much better value proposition than paying what people are asking for everything you can get your hands on.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

That has been my approach too, though I do it for every console I still buy games for. It saves money, but the curating is just interesting in and of itself. I like the idea that someone could walk into my house, look at my shelf, and only see stuff that I love, and could talk up all day.

I couldn't get SNES down to 15, though :lol: I think its at around 30 right now, and there are still 4-5 games I really need to pick up. Just... yeah, pricing.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I can agree on that with the scaled back, but I could never do 15. I'm around 50-55 only because almost every one of them were games I got new myself or gifted, a few I bought second hand at one shop in the 90s. They hold far more value to me and still are replayable so they sit until used. The rest had to go. If something aged bad enough I can't find amusement too, they're gone as well. It works out not having a hoard.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Cheaper games is another reason I went Super Famicom, while plenty of games are still pretty high it's not as bad.
I bought Axelay last night for around $33 US. not bad considering what US carts go for sometimes.

I DO have Wild Guns Reloaded on Swtich, I used to have it on PS4 but sold it and once I saw it on Swtich for a decent price I grabbed it.
Speaking of Ninja Warriors Again is coming to the Swtich.
I pretty much buy anything Retro on my Switch so this is huge (and Just read a Darius collection is inbound...)

Pretty much my focus with Super Famicom is getting obscure Japanese games or stuff we never got over here, and a handful of essentials like F-Zero, Super Mario World and All Stars, Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That's why I have some of the Famicom carts I do, and also when I finally after years of putting it of, bought not a Duo, but a Core Grafx II to enjoy PCEngine (TG16) games because the prices are dramatically more fair.

I know you're into collecting so that's fine. I have what I need, anything new 99% of the time I'm relying on kits now, but if something hits me so well I feel I must have it I'll grab stuff still in due time.

I'd bother with SFC but it would eat at me, when I got the stuff in the later 90s and earlier 00s I got the complete in box for the price or less(a little) than the loose carts go now so it's annoying. As I said I had at least a couple dozen games, and I'd have to thumb a list to remember them all but a list would do it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Banpresto's "Great Battle" series is worth a look. Especially IV and V. I did a write-up on IV here. https://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtop ... le#p900080

I also quite enjoyed the Go Go Ackman trilogy of platformers.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Gunstar Green wrote:Banpresto's "Great Battle" series is worth a look. Especially IV and V. I did a write-up on IV here. https://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtop ... le#p900080

I also quite enjoyed the Go Go Ackman trilogy of platformers.

All great games