Building a Super Famicom Collection

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Building a Super Famicom Collection

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Companion piece to this thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&p=1136076#p1136076

So I used to have an SNES then I was like, Oh I'll just emulate and like an idiot threw all my old stuff out, THEN THE RETRO BOOM HIT.
2 years ago I get a Raspberry pi and I hate it I HATE IT Lakka sucks, Recal box sucks, Retropie sucks. Fast forward a year and I decide I'm going to get an AVS while everyone was going nuts over the NES and SNES Classic. Somehow that became me getting that, A Framemiester and the machine I've wanted since 1990, A Super Famicom.

Now I DID have an SNES growing up but all I had for it were fighters. In the Genesis thread I mentioned my current Super Famicom Collection is AWESOME so here's my line up of games, I'll be using American titles as some I can't spell the Japanese titles without looking them up.

Battle Tycoon
Super Bomberman 5
Cotton 100% (just came in today)
Hammerin harry
Gundam Wing Endless Duel
Kirby Super star
Kirby 3
Power Instinct
Psycho Dream (gotta love Telenet Japan)
Super Mario Kart
Puyo Puyo 2
Street Fighter II Turbo
Thunder Spirits
Tsuppari oosumo
TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures

On order:
Osu Karate Bu

I'm underwhelmed by my Genesis collection but I am in LOVE with my Super Famicom Collection. Not a bad game in the bunch, a little bit of everything represented.
Unlike my Genesis which I have going into my Framemiester through RGB, I have my Sufami running through a decent S-Video Cable into my Framemiester, Picture is a little soft but I figured out the right settings (I used one of Firebrand X's Saturn profiles as a baseline and just darkened it to my liking) and got it looking as good as my Genesis running RGB but as of right now my SNES has to share that cable with my Gamecube.

There are SO SO many Super Famicom games I probably only know maybe 1/8th of the good stuff/expensive stuff. Majouu is on my radar I know that got a reissue, there was some UFO Ramen guy beat em up, The Rushing Beat games, Akiman, The Great battle, The Sailor moon and Dragon ball games. Tons of others I'm probably forgetting.

Next thread I make will be about my Famicom collection, which while it's the first one I started on has the least games, and it's almost all Konami.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Building a Super Famicom Collection

Post by Tanooki »

I could probably given some time to remember it recommend a good couple dozen SFC games as I used to have a healthy boxed up set of things over 15 years ago before some losses. I would point towards trying out Ganbare Goemon 2 (sequel to Legend of the Mystical Ninja) as it's a solid fun title with even big robot fights in cockpit you'd find a few years later on the N64 early release.

Off the top of my head I do recall being very worthy of the time SDF Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, both fighters and both side scrolling brawlers based on Sailor Moon, Zenki (an anime platformer), Popn Twinbee and Twinbee since you have Rainbow Bell and of course their friends the Parodius shooter trilogy too. Cotton was a good call on your part or I'd have gone there. Hyper Iria and Appleseed manga/anime had really good SFC outlets as did Lupin the 3rd. I wish I could remember more but I'd have to skim a list and there are a LOT of SFC games. I will say though if you're a mega man fan, the best game period for the hardware is rockman & forte (the GBA game is shitty compared, too hard, didn't scale the visuals to fit the smaller resolution.)
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I do not like Rockman and Forte a Masochist designed the 2nd half of that game. I love Mega Man though that's my Childhood there, so for the right price I'd still get it. My CIB GBA version is going to find it's way to either John Riggs or Shawn Long.

That aside that game is proof Mega Man 8 could have been done on Nintendo's 16 bit beast.

Everything else you listed is a must Iria is Great, Scrambled Valkirie is close to Glaylancer. Spriggan powered is also on my Radar. I actually have Parodius for the Famicom along with Gradius 1 and 2.

I want Tetris Battle Gaiden, maybe Tetris 3, that Majouu reissue. Super Metroid when I have time.
Levelup7

Post by Levelup7 »

Ah, your biggest mistake was throwing out your OG stuff and switching to emulators. Don't feel bad, I went thru my emulator phase too, thinking it was like the oracle.. like a true God send.. but there's nothing like having the physical games on hand.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Levelup7 wrote:Ah, your biggest mistake was throwing out your OG stuff and switching to emulators. Don't feel bad, I went thru my emulator phase too, thinking it was like the oracle.. like a true God send.. but there's nothing like having the physical games on hand.

I know I know. I still emulate, mostly PS1, PC Engine, Handhelds, Arcade games and Japanese computers I will never own or be able to afford even on a six figure Clinical Psycologist income.

The Ghosts of my old games still haunt me.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Jaki Crush! Its in the same family as the Crush pinball games on the Turbo, and its just as good imo. Its also really cheap.

Its also worth mentioning Biometal. Its port to the states saw its OST replaced with the 2Unlimited tracks, but the original tracks are great. The game is solid too, of course.

The Ninjawarriors Again is a 10/10 beater, and its SFC release is optimal, since the US version censors one of the enemies by cutting it from the game completely, replacing it with more instances of another enemy, throwing off the balance and mixups.

Hagane is good in either region, but much more affordable (And just as good) on the SFC.

I like Super Aleste more than Space Megaforce, as the little anime scenes are nice. Either way, if you like Compile, its one of their better releases (Though you seem to already have a solid grasp on shmups, you probably know about those)

Another console I could go on about for days. :lol:

Is this a sort of SNES-aside collection, or is this your entire SNES/SFC library? Asking because a lot of the given stuff isn't present, but recommending stuff like Super Metroid or Contra III would be silly.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I am one of those rare naysayers about Space Megaforce. I think it is one of Compile’s weaker efforts. That still makes it a passable shooter, however. I dont think any of the Compile shooters are any less than competent.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

For me, what makes Super Aleste stand out is it's extra modes. There are quite a few, and they make the game pretty tense and fun. Being more used to arcade shooters, Compile tends to fall a little too far on the easy side for me most of the time, and that this one can bring the heat is a big plus.

I do think its overall presentation and OST aren't quite as good as some of Compile's other efforts, though.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I agree Super Aleste is one of the better Shooters on the Sufami. But might be weaker compared to the other Aleste games.

Jaki Crush might be my favorite Crush game.

I grew up on the Ninja Warriors arcade game I think even my non gamer grandmother got in on it once so Ninja Warriors again is a must for me....if I can find it at a decent price.

This IS my Nintendo 16 bit collection. I didn't want an ugly boxy American SNES so I got a Super Famicom instead, THEN realized that I need to figure out how to play western carts on the thing. I'm guessing a Super UFO would work? Otherwise all the western only games I'll Everdrive.

and I need something for PAL there was a SNES Jr look alike Clone Console but it's since sold out.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

So most of my Super Famicom collection doesn't even get played, because they're all RPGs I can't understand. But I recently got this bug where I wanted legit copies of some of these awesome fan-translated titles, so I started importing quite a few that weren't crazy expensive. My favorite title that we never got has to be Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Amazing, amazing game. It's basically RPG Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator.