lol @ anyone playing NES instead of Famicom in 2019

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: lol @ anyone playing NES instead of Famicom in 2018

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yes, eBay.

Loose Famicom carts are notoriously cheap. I'm talking like $1-$5 for so many quality games. It's pretty close to Atari 2600 pricing, now that I think of it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Well, some loose Famicom games are notoriously cheap. There are a few that I'm interested in that are definitely not. :(
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well you cheaply start by sourcing large lots from Japan where you may end up spending like a dollar a game.

But if you're looking more for specifics, I'm not sure how they fare today as I haven't looked in a year but I know both some Japanese and US vendors I kept in a watch bin to look out for. US-pal52, retro_saikou, and shiochou I would use. Japan there were play-japan, japan_4_you, ryoplanshop and those 6 I'd pull quite a good selection of FC games and also GB games from as well. The Japanese vendors would either beat out or match the US guys, usually beat them in most cases, but sometimes not, or close enough the wait wasn't worth it.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

What I love is when I find that Famicom ports are different than the NES ports.
Like Fantasy Zone, which looks and plays better than the US game. Or Tetris, or Star Wars (still don't have that one). Or even Super Mario Bros 3, which shrinks you to small Mario when hit no matter what power you had (this is Mario 3 Hardcore to me).
When I found out that Castlevania III had enhanced music on the Famicom version, I just had to get it.

I'd love to hear others (beyond obvious ones like Doki Doki Panic on FDS).
...just another lost soul...
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Power Blazer/Blade is one, but the NES got the better deal there. The only other one I can remember off-hand with notable differences is Jackal.

Many games have differences between regions, sometimes smaller, sometimes bigger. Battletoads' JPN version has tons of bug fixes (it's actually possible to complete in 2-player) but it's also considerably easier.

I wouldn't really count Star Wars here, since it's a completely different game from a different developer, just the IP is the same.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Man, Battletoads is one of the pricey ones on Famicom too.

I'd count Star Wars (for my purposes), as I wouldn't know they were different before I read about it.
...just another lost soul...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Fantasy Zone is an interesting case. The differences between the Famicom and NES versions has nothing to do with localization. They're literally two different ports by two different teams. Rampart is another example of this. Of course the most obvious comparison is the two types of Tetris, but in that case both games were released in the U.S.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I have a Famicom styled Gameboy Advance. Does that count?
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

nightrnr wrote:What I love is when I find that Famicom ports are different than the NES ports.
Like Fantasy Zone, which looks and plays better than the US game. Or Tetris, or Star Wars (still don't have that one). Or even Super Mario Bros 3, which shrinks you to small Mario when hit no matter what power you had (this is Mario 3 Hardcore to me).
When I found out that Castlevania III had enhanced music on the Famicom version, I just had to get it.

I'd love to hear others (beyond obvious ones like Doki Doki Panic on FDS).

What's different about Tetris? I know the PAL version is very different, not familiar with the Famicom version
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Don't own a Famicom. Just an NES but not fired up the NES in years. Famicom is on my bucket list with many other consoles. I know it'snot the most pricey but its not a major priority. The time will come.