lol @ anyone playing NES instead of Famicom in 2019

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: lol @ anyone playing NES instead of Famicom in 2018

Post by Erik_Twice »

I'm one of those Europoors so yeah, I'm also planning to get a Famicom at some point. Like you say, the games are cheaper and ocasionally better. They are also easy to find boxed and in good condition which is impossible for the NES.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote: Epic floppy disk peripheral. Only "disadvantages" are the inferior controllers, inability to open carts, small number of NA/PAL exclusives, and language barrier

Another disadvantage of that floppy disk peripheral is the loading times, and having to constantly flip the disk(s). That shit gets old.

I think the Famicom is excellent though, don't get me wrong. It has a huge library of exclusives that never left Japan (many of which have English fan translations).

I wouldn't say it's better than the NES overall, but it's certainly the NES's equal.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Look I too have a soft spot, I got in with the NES during the test launch. It got me so entrenched with their quality IPs and third parties as well starting in 1985. I may have gushed over the FC, but that's mainly because I've done most the above average to excellent NES games already in all these years. Couple that with the asinine prices over 5 years or so now and it's just more appealing. It's still kind of a virgin territory of lost awesomeness that's all, and in cases, a grossly large savings of big money too.

I stopped collecting for the NES and basically the FC too. I have most the games I had growing up with a few percent of games picked up in the last 15 years that just rock but i'm under 60 (70 with the FC included.) I have most of what I'd ever need, and as prices go I do have a N8 because of that, not that I like that route, but it's a necessity. I can get any old legit system to work too and can clean and security mod the most cranky of them to work solidly too. It's not a matter of bad wonky parts or weird stuff, entirely cost now. I do emulate too, but not much, not the time to really bother so I use what I have. Even if the N8 is kind of a turn off, it's far more reliable and easier to handle FDS stuff obviously, but FC too as some stuff rarely shows up. Combine that N8 and legit games with my HiDef NES mod and you get all the best of any world of the NES, FC and FDS audio, colors and all.

As Ghegs said the FDS is just a bandaid, awful, poor design, and magnetic media especially 30 year old stuff is a ticking time bomb, the n8 has that covered and without the read/write waits, disk flipping/changing, or worrying about a belt popping too.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The biggest problem for US players is that the most common and easy to procure model has RF-out only on a channel US TVs can’t display. So you either have to mod the system or spot for a more expensive AV Famicom. Also, because the pads are hard-wired, addition modding is necessary if you end up with a bum pad.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

As I indicated earlier, Sharp Twin Fami is the way to go. Plays carts and disks, AV out. Perfect.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'd say iffy controllers can be a dealbreaker, though. The default NES pads are excellent, and the dogbones are even better.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The controller problem is an easy fix. You can easily build an adapter to use two NES controllers on the Famicom. No modding to the console is nessecary, it plugs into the 15-pin controller port. Just grab a Famicom / Neo•Geo controller extension cable and two NES controller extension cables. All you really have to do is splice some wires together.

Alternatively, you could just buy a third party Famicom controller like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hori-Commander ... 1961!US!-1
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ooh, excellent. That's good to know if I decide to get one.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

All valid points gentlemen, but where does one cheaply and conveniently source Famicoms, games, and related accessories?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well it's been 5-10 years since I bought for the Famicom, so I don't know if this is true presently, but I did just fine with eBay.