lol @ anyone playing NES instead of Famicom in 2019

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ESauced
64-bit

Re: lol @ anyone playing NES instead of Famicom in 2018

Post by ESauced »

I have a huge NES collection because it’s what I grew up with. I could probably sell it off and replace it with a Famicom collection with more games but they wouldn’t feel special for me. Plus I love the NES dog bone controller.

That said, I plan on buying a Famicom when I go to Japan in the next couple years. I’ve always thought it’d be a cool thing to have but they’re always $70 in America and I’ve never wanted one enough to pay that.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Nert wrote:What's different about Tetris? I know the PAL version is very different, not familiar with the Famicom version

Completely different port. Different music, different interface, and the control is different (like up/down controls the turning and a or b make the piece fall fast. Not sure exactly and can't be bothered to fire it up right now. Mostly I like the regular NES port better, but I enjoy seeing the variances of other ports now and again (music alone makes it worth it to me). Good for one handed play maybe (and/or with the right controller)...
ESauced wrote:Plus I love the NES dog bone controller.

2nd model famicom came with and uses those. Pricey though (just got mine :D ).
...just another lost soul...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

casterofdreams wrote:I have a Famicom styled Gameboy Advance. Does that count?

Counts in my book, I have the GB Micro release of that in like spotless shape so I keep it put up. Been meaning to find a little plastic display box to put it in except if I care to use it at some point.

About this Tetris stuff I'm aware of just 3. Nintendo made, Tengen/Atari made, and then the Famicom one by BPS/Mirrorsoft which never left the region. Is that the one we're talking about here or is there yet another?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awl_BPdXS8k
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

@ Noise's first response lol - ya.

I wouldn't subject a good Famicom to what the NESes I maintain at friends and families garages and smoking rooms to. Everyone's got a small CRT kicking around and it's great to play a few rounds of Dr. Mario, or Duck Hunt while outside. Of course I have fully modded consoles - NES & Famicom and nearly every iteration of high-end RGB scaling and transcoding hardware, but in the end they are not important to enjoy the game, only to show the game well while using the high-end screens. The most important thing IMO is the direct-view and 0 response time (even if the console sometimes has slowdown). On an average sized CRT, the picture is OK and the gameplay is perfect. A few cheap flash carts installed, and everything's disposable and the hardware was mostly free.

Tetris? I tried them all, but grew up with the Tengen one, so I still prefer it. I bring it along sometimes to play 2-player in the smoking room (that place has a toploader).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

@Tanooki, yeah, that looks like the Tetris I have for Famicom.

My favorite is still the regular Nintendo port. I like seeing crap fly across the screen when I beat levels.

I do have the Tengen cart as well, but like it mostly for the crazy 2-player simultaneous in the same game field.

Not sure what the Pal port is about, but if different, that would be a 4th version.
...just another lost soul...
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Tanooki wrote:
casterofdreams wrote:I have a Famicom styled Gameboy Advance. Does that count?

Counts in my book, I have the GB Micro release of that in like spotless shape so I keep it put up. Been meaning to find a little plastic display box to put it in except if I care to use it at some point.

Bingo that’s the one I have. I use it everyday!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

lol @ anyone playing NES instead of Famicom in 2019
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

You need to update the thread title.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I am, on an everdrive or the classic edition. :D

Now anyone PAYING for NES instead of Famicom, hells no. FC cheaper and lots more variety.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I kind of hate the original Famicom, but the Sharp Twin Famicom pictured in the OP is indeed a sexy beast.

I had a Famicom collecting kick a few years back and it was a lot of fun. I discovered a lot of games I didn't really know much about in the process. Most importantly it was very affordable.