17%
Chickorita
No votes

Total votes: 12

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: 8-bit Pokemon Games

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Has anyone played around with any of the fan hacks? I think Snakewood sounds REALLY interesting, but I've heard that Brown is a really good one, too.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Charmander and Totodile both have fun evolution lines. I think Gold & Silver are better games than Red & Blue, but I also think that the remakes of Fire Red and Leaf Green blow all the 8-bit versions out of the water.

To be honest, I have never finished a Pokemon game. Turn-based JRPGs are just too boring for me. I always get tired of navigating the menu and watching the same battle animations over again. I'm usually done with the whole experience less than halfway trough the game.

On the other hand, Pokemon Go is consistently fun for me. I still play all the time. PoGo gets me out exploring new places in the real world. I can't think of another video game that's done that for me. I hope that the success of PoGo inspires more augmented reality games that take place in the real world.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Pokemon Go to me in a way feels more like the original rigid original. The difference is the badge system is way different and that you don't deal with trainers. Outside of that you do have gym battles, you do have XP that raises and wild pokemon to catch. All that added fluff over years is micronized or removed, and the tiresome aspects that grew out of it changing from gotta catch em all to -- save the universe get anything legendary, are removed for the better. I'm still messing with that game daily and am mid-point through lv32.

I've only finished the original red and yellow, nothing since as it gets tiring but FireRed I'll play over red for certain.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I never liked these games. I was a teenager when the first ones were released, so the "kiddie" element was a big turn-off. The obsessive "collecting" element is something I find unappealing as well.

That said, as a huge 8-bit JRPG nerd I feel almost obligated to give one of the first entries (Green?) a go someday.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Squirtle is my favorite starter out of the first two gens, just beating out Cyndaquil (Froakie is my favorite overall). I have a soft spot, though, since the deck I took to "competitions" for the card game when I was a kid used him. Plus, Squirtle Squad is badass.

As for Pokemon overall, I am a huge fan of it conceptually, but its such a huge time sink when I do get into it that I skip several gens before going back.

Its mainly the competitive aspect that appeals to me, though. When I started to really get into it, I realized they actually have a really complex game that just doesn't get to shine in single player. The amount of team customization is unreal when you get into movesets, EV training, Abilities, Natures, etc. Just one individual Pokemon can be set up in dozens and dozens of ways.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I never liked these games. I was a teenager when the first ones were released, so the "kiddie" element was a big turn-off. The obsessive "collecting" element is something I find unappealing as well.

That said, as a huge 8-bit JRPG nerd I feel almost obligated to give one of the first entries (Green?) a go someday.

I totally get this though. I was a bit younger when the craze hit, and it was the first time every person I knew was playing the same game, so Pokemon was all but mandatory. :lol:

If you want to play one, I'd say just go with Red/Blue. If you specifically want to play it in Japanese, then go for Blue. They got Red/Green, which had all sorts of issues, and then Blue which fixed those (And our Red/Blue are mostly that fixed version, though more a mix of both)
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I never liked these games. I was a teenager when the first ones were released, so the "kiddie" element was a big turn-off. The obsessive "collecting" element is something I find unappealing as well.

That's a big issue with Pokemon. The way the series has stayed so stationary mechanically has made it very stationary with its fan base as well. If you aren't into the core concept of one, you won't like any of the other ones.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

The series as a whole hasn't changed much since the first gen. The overall concept is the same. I haven't played it but the last set of games attempted to change that and from what I've read, have more or less succeeded.

I am currently honing through the 1st gen remakes, Platinum, and Y. I switch between each when I feel like changing things up.

Some have mentioned time sink: yes it is but I've made it run a bit faster by going into the options menu and setting the "battle scene" to [off] and "battle style" or something like that to [set]. This way it won't ask if I want to switch out a Pokémon every time I knock someone out. I usually brute force my way through the games so I don't care for switching every moment. And I've seen the moves countless times on my life. I'll save those seconds please and thank you.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

casterofdreams wrote:The series as a whole hasn't changed much since the first gen. The overall concept is the same. I haven't played it but the last set of games attempted to change that and from what I've read, have more or less succeeded.

Sun and Moon have diverged from the old formula in the losest of senses. They've made HM's no longer moves that Pokemon need to learn. Other than that and SOS battles (which are kinda dumb), it's exactly the same as it ever was. HM moves just being skills you can hotkey to the D-pad REALLY makes the game flow better, but 7th gen Pokemon is nowhere near the level of jump in mechanics that something like Youkai Watch had between 2 and 3 where the entire battle system was drastically changed. It's still teams of six, it's still one at a time moves, you can still only learn 4 moves per Pokemon.

I guess if I had to mention another change it'd be that the world is 100% no longer grid-based for your movement, which is kinda nice, but again, not a ground-breaking mechanical change in any way.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I haven't played any beyond Yellow, tho I did play through all of the 1st gen games. If I was going to play Pokemon, I'd play Moemon - it's a hack of Firered, itself a reboot of Pokemon Red for GBA with all the pokemon replaced with moe anime girls.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Anapan wrote:I haven't played any beyond Yellow, tho I did play through all of the 1st gen games. If I was going to play Pokemon, I'd play Moemon - it's a hack of Firered, itself a reboot of Pokemon Red for GBA with all the pokemon replaced with moe anime girls.

I'm definitely playing this. Definitely.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.