A fond farewell to the Wii Shop Channel

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ESauced
64-bit

Re: A fond farewell to the Wii Shop Channel

Post by ESauced »

Oh yeah I forgot about the imports. Only way I would have been able to play Sin and Punishment (which did transfer to the Wii U eshop) and one of the easiest ways to play Gradius 2 (which sadly did not transfer). Also the Japanese Super Mario 2 with the original graphics; I’ve grown to really love that game.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I've decided I'm gonna buy Pole's Big Adventure and Discipline. I'm still lookin' at other stuffses. Too much to choose from! Too much weiiiird stuff that I very well may wanna play some day otherwise Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

So, before the WiiConnect24 functionality was disabled a few years back, there used to be another function of the Wii Shop Channel that me and my buddy used frequently - it used to have a gift function. This was such a great feature that it amazes me that most console storefronts nowadays don't have it.

Every birthday for several years, me and my friend would send each other a couple of games. We tended to spend about 1500 wii points, which was only £10, but it was exciting to see what surprises we had in store for each other.

Over the years, I recieved games such as:

Pokémon Rumble (WiiWare)
Street Gangs (NES - aka River City Ransom)
Blaster Master (NES)
Cave Story (WiiWare)
Kirby's Fun Pak (SNES - aka Kirby Superstar)
Startropics (NES)
Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)

And in return, I sent some classics like:
Fantasy Zone (Master System)
Wonder Boy 3 (Master System)
Blazing Lazers (TG16)
Paradroid (C64)
Super Punch Out (SNES)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (TG16)
Bubble Bobble (NES)
DoReMi Fantasy (SNES)

It's a tradition me and buddy continue to this day, with him giving gifts such as Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Undertale and Contact to me, and me giving him a few bundles of Game Gear and N64 games as examples.

I hope they add gifting functionality to the Switch eShop one day, but there was nothing more exciting on my birthday than the wii disc slot lighting up blue to indicate a message had been recieved.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

If I get Discipline, Pole's Big Adventure, the Super Dodgeball sequel, one of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, and Line Attack Heroes, that's around 45 bucks so I could get one more $5 thing. Damn you, AJ! These were until now very unforeseen expenses :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

We're less than 2 weeks away from the date when no more money can be added to the Wii Shop Channel.

If you need some inspiration about what might be worth buying, check out the awesome video My Life In Gaming put out about the various Wiiware and VC options they recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9DvJdTDfRU
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Well, I actually bought a Wii in order to get all the cool Wii Shop games while I still can!
(I might be eating ramen every day for the next month, because I know how to prioritize my life...)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Nemoide wrote:Well, I actually bought a Wii in order to get all the cool Wii Shop games while I still can!
(I might be eating ramen every day for the next month, because I know how to prioritize my life...)

Don't worry; you could never be as bad as me.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I added a whole bunch of Wii points at the weekend and picked up these games:

- MUSHA (MD)
- Gley Lancer (MD)
- Alien Soldier (MD)
- Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES)
- Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
- Castlevania Rebirth (WiiWare)
- Contra Rebirth (WiiWare)
- Excitebike World Challenge (WiiWare)
- Hydroventure (WiiWare)

I still have 2100 points to spend, which I'm undecided on how to use right now. I hear good things about You, Me and The Cubes and MotoHeroz on WiiWare, but I could also splash out on some more cool VC stuff too. Still, now the points are on there I still have ages to decide yet.
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

The Wii shop sparked a nostalgia and got me into collecting physical consoles and games for several years. Got $100 or so free Wii points during the Guitar Hero/Pepsi exploit of '09, but I still probably spent enough in the eShop to buy a cheap used car. Too many games syndrome became a real thing, but for all the ones on the "someday" back burner, the games I go back to over and over make it seem worth it.

My real life collecting pretty much stopped after a point, but once or twice a year I would still get the itch to play "What am I willing to spend and how can I cancel out the point balance?" while that sweet low key jingle played in the background. Upon realizing the deadline to add points is near, I added $10. There's still a few 500 point games I liked but never pulled the trigger on.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm still debating whether I want to drop the cash for Sin & Punishment or Gradius ReBirth. Since I snagged the Neutopia games, I think I'm covered for TG-16.