Analogue - Super Nt

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii

Is the Analogue - Super Nt Worth the Money??

Poll ended at Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Yes - The Analogue SNES Nt's Hardware and Build-Quality is Truly Superior!
80%
No - The Analogue SNES Nt is for Pretentious Posers.
20%

Total votes: 5

marurun

Re: Analogue - Super Nt

Post by marurun »

It depends on whether those fixes are game-specific, or instances where the game revealed something unusual about the hardware and the core is actually being adjusted to be fundamentally more accurate. There's been some of that going on with the SDD3. The creators are using these bug reports to fix timing issues and make the core more accurate rather than game-specific hacks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Wasn't this basically like a decades worth of work by byuu here used to get it down to an accurate science of things like his emulator promised to do? If that's the case I'd probably go with maru there and say it was a bug in the system, not a game specific issue. There is no public documentation on the SNES and all of it has been done with years of reverse engineering and prodding at things time and again, and re-running the same stuff over as technology to inspect improves too. The SNES had some really quirky garbage that goes on that isn't what people figured out and have caused problems in the games, even on what byuu put out, up until he figured out that undocumented quirk and addressed it clearing up the issue. I recall an overhead flight game was fouling up shadows which also affected a few other titles in some ways too because it was some quirk with the Nintendo design, and when handled, the stuff displayed right.

I imagine that the marketing is fair in its claim, but given you don't have a fat Nintendo technical and coding manual in front of you let alone the original chip diagrams and data sheets to know what every little iota of it does, you learn by picking up on bug complaints or finding them yourself and doing the work. I remember way back the GB had the same problem as it's not running a 100% bone stock Z80, and the NES had problems too some nagging for many years because it wasn't off the shelf 6502 either and the off the shelf did decimal which NES does not.

I know that NTT hack has value, weird stuff happens. Try firing up Panic Bomber W an SA1 game from Japan without it, it'll whine about a MOUSE of all things. Enable NTT, game runs as it should.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

marurun wrote:It depends on whether those fixes are game-specific, or instances where the game revealed something unusual about the hardware and the core is actually being adjusted to be fundamentally more accurate. There's been some of that going on with the SDD3. The creators are using these bug reports to fix timing issues and make the core more accurate rather than game-specific hacks.

That's a better way of conveying what I was trying to say, and I should have worded things more clearly. All the articles were breathlessly extolling how accurate the system was, but in truth, it wasn't quite to that point yet. It's definitely not the case where they're hacking in game-specific fixes like the older emulators did to make things run, it's that they're fixing the behavior of the Super Nt to match what the real system would do in that case. As you say, certain games expose edge cases that don't get seen in most carts. My issue was that too many people were already overselling it as this perfectly accurate system that would replace a real SNES, when it wasn't to that point yet. Certainly better than the clones floating around, and I believe it will get there eventually, at which point I will seriously consider snagging one.

As mentioned, byuu took a long time to get the emulation to where it is at in bsnes/higan. Hopefully all that knowledge will be applied well to the Super Nt. kevtris has a good rep, so I figure it's gonna happen.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I was originally just gonna get an original console and CRT TV, but then I learned this console has Super Turrican 2 (an expensive ass game to purchase from a non-Chinese eBay seller), and the original uncut Super Turrican. That alone made me wanna buy this thing. It'll be a bit before I can afford to drop two hundo on yet another console, but I plan to get one. I'll still get a CRT TV though. To my knowledge, there isn't any equivalent to this for the Genesis, and I have an N64 that it'd look better on. :D
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

GSZX1337 wrote:I'm thinking about getting one of these. I was originally just gonna get an original console and CRT TV, but then I learned this console has Super Turrican 2 (an expensive ass game to purchase from a non-Chinese eBay seller), and the original uncut Super Turrican. That alone made me wanna buy this thing. It'll be a bit before I can afford to drop two hundo on yet another console, but I plan to get one. I'll still get a CRT TV though. To my knowledge, there isn't any equivalent to this for the Genesis, and I have an N64 that it'd look better on. :D

ST1 is Director's Cut, they fixed the balancing issues of the game and doubled or more the stages. It makes the retail game look and feel just sorry. If you're tied up in what a game costs, the value of those 2 alone are making the nice system free basically. Unless someone is some unholy CRT purist, it's more than fine, and the default settings on scanlines coupled with 720p mode (you can go higher, just tweak the lines) it's like a nice soft notable line you'd find on a Sony WEGA.