Wii Resolution Issues Getting Out of Hand!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Wii Resolution Issues Getting Out of Hand!

Post by racketboy »

Jagosaurus wrote:True isiolia. I've never really jumped into the receiver world as I've never really had a sound system and/or that many devices hooked up at once.

Anapan brings up a good point. Racket, you mentioned picking up new Wii games and this setup working previously. Have you tested this with a game you knew worked in the past? Some games might not like that converter worse than others and the aging Denon may compound this.

Yeah New Super Mario Bros is a strong constant. Played it a lot before and after. But the menu system also has been effected. Going to direct composite connection makes everything good. Its definitely the receiver.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

isiolia wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Sounds like we have 2 Denon units acting up reported on this thread before my post here. Is this normal of receivers?

To a point, I think it depends on where you look, since obviously looking at support type topics/threads will tend to show people having problems :lol:

That said, I do think that HDMI-era audio gear tends to be quirkier - both because of dealing with a fairly-quickly upgraded, copy-protected A/V path, and because of the sheer amount of tech that tends to get crammed into them these days. Typically, audio gear lasts quite a while - I've owned A/V receivers for over twenty years, and in that time (until today anyway) owned a grand total of three, which were upgraded for features, not because they failed. (I bought a particularly cheap open box one today for my PC, so that'd be a fourth I guess). The only one that ended up breaking was due to my brother borrowing it and blowing the amps running low ohm speakers on it :cry:

While I have had oddities with my (~9 year old) Denon in the living room, the only thing on it that actually doesn't work is one of the RCA audio jacks...which I only ever used for the Wii anyway, so I just moved it to a different set.

Rest of my family has pretty much the same story...other than my one brother who destroyed at least one other one in a similar fashion.

Still, I think far more often that gear gets replaced to support newer/better formats than actual failure. Which isn't to say that it doesn't fail, or that you couldn't find relatively common failures for particular model years (HDMI boards on some Onkyos for instance)...but in general, it lasts.

marurun wrote:5.1 audio decoding and other digital functions really screwed with audio receiver longevity. The best receivers are classic stereo ones. You can't really count on a modern receiver to last you a lifetime.

Thanks, gentlemen. It's good to know I'm not crazy, but sad that's the lifespan. I'm not one to upgrade quickly to something like 4K or a new surround audio or something. This thing is probably overpowered for what it's used for upstairs. The more expensive one is downstairs and hopefully holds up better (it's actually a year older too).

I wonder if quantity of use on a certain input makes a difference. A lot of my downstairs usage is pure HDMI so it gets a lot less conversation activity.

I actually have to figure out how to get my component to show up through the receiver downstairs now that I have my HDRetrovision cables -- I've just been plugging them directly into the TV for now...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Interesting. You're lucky your set recognizes 240p over component for those cables. Most modern sets do not. Your receiver likely won't.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Interesting. You're lucky your set recognizes 240p over component for those cables. Most modern sets do not. Your receiver likely won't.

Well that could be the case with the receiver. I did try quickly but I may have done it wrong.

The Genesis and Saturn look beautiful on my Panasonic Plasma.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

On that set you could also play PS1 games in a PS2 consoles with component out. Try that out.

Most of us cannot :(

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Racketboy is rocking the Plasma! 8)

I'm jealous. :P
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Aren't plasma TVs prone to burn in? That's a bad combo with video games because the HUD display tends to stay in the same place. Even worse with games designed for 4:3 resolution because you'll get the black bars at the sides burned in too.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

alienjesus wrote:Aren't plasma TVs prone to burn in? That's a bad combo with video games because the HUD display tends to stay in the same place. Even worse with games designed for 4:3 resolution because you'll get the black bars at the sides burned in too.

The earlier generation ones yeah, but the generation I bought in was supposed to be pretty solid (about the same risk of burn-in as any other display type). I've been running mine for 5 1/2 years and no issues.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jagosaurus wrote:On that set you could also play PS1 games in a PS2 consoles with component out. Try that out.

Most of us cannot :(

Believe it or not, I don't have a PS2 and never have. I have a backwards compatible PS3 that died off a while back.