NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Resolution Issues Getting Out of Hand!

by isiolia Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:53 pm

I would say that swapping to the CRT doesn't narrow it down to the receiver entirely - it's still possible that the Wii itself is putting out an odd signal that it can't do anything with. Best to connect directly to a TV and see what it does. Feeding audio back in as mentioned has no real downside on the Wii since it doesn't use any audio formats that aren't allowed to do that (as would be the case for Blu-ray, for instance).

However, the typical things to try would be to check for a firmware update for the receiver (it has Ethernet at least), soft resetting it (unplug for 10+ minutes) or resetting the microprocessor (which will wipe other settings too) - to do that, turn it off via the power button, then hold down preset 2 and 3 and turn on via the power button. Release the preset buttons when the screen starts flashing about once a second. Keeping in mind that the core of more modern receivers is pretty much a little computer, so resetting it can end up being necessary.
Could also try to look through the owners thread for that series here.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:55 pm

isiolia wrote:I would say that swapping to the CRT doesn't narrow it down to the receiver entirely - it's still possible that the Wii itself is putting out an odd signal that it can't do anything with. Best to connect directly to a TV and see what it does. Feeding audio back in as mentioned has no real downside on the Wii since it doesn't use any audio formats that aren't allowed to do that (as would be the case for Blu-ray, for instance).

However, the typical things to try would be to check for a firmware update for the receiver (it has Ethernet at least), soft resetting it (unplug for 10+ minutes) or resetting the microprocessor (which will wipe other settings too) - to do that, turn it off via the power button, then hold down preset 2 and 3 and turn on via the power button. Release the preset buttons when the screen starts flashing about once a second. Keeping in mind that the core of more modern receivers is pretty much a little computer, so resetting it can end up being necessary.
Could also try to look through the owners thread for that series here.

Yeah, I thought I mentioned that -- we've been connected directly to the CRT for the last week since that was the only way we could play reliably. :)
I will trying turning the receiver off for a while though. I did a simple power off for a few minutes, but nothing as extensive as you mentioned.
Thanks!
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm

I have a much older Denon that only does composite and s-video and the composite pathway stopped working a few years ago. Cant get it working again. S-video still works just fine.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:50 pm

marurun wrote:I have a much older Denon that only does composite and s-video and the composite pathway stopped working a few years ago. Cant get it working again. S-video still works just fine.

Oh really? So did it only have an S-Video out and convert the Composite?

The gradual nature of mine is very odd, but I will see how leaving it unplugged overnight helps.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:41 pm

No, it did pass through. But for some reason the composite pathway died, so I can only use it for S-video. Composite and component have to go through dedicated boxes.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:07 pm

My father in law just replaced a high end Denon that was around the same age. His was completely dropping out sound across multiple input/output methods. It happened slowly and got worse over time.

He went & bought a 4K Denon which surprised me considering he just had one break down...

Sounds like we have 2 Denon units acting up reported on this thread before my post here. Is this normal of receivers?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Sounds like we have 2 Denon units acting up reported on this thread before my post here. Is this normal of receivers?

To a point, I think it depends on where you look, since obviously looking at support type topics/threads will tend to show people having problems :lol:

That said, I do think that HDMI-era audio gear tends to be quirkier - both because of dealing with a fairly-quickly upgraded, copy-protected A/V path, and because of the sheer amount of tech that tends to get crammed into them these days. Typically, audio gear lasts quite a while - I've owned A/V receivers for over twenty years, and in that time (until today anyway) owned a grand total of three, which were upgraded for features, not because they failed. (I bought a particularly cheap open box one today for my PC, so that'd be a fourth I guess). The only one that ended up breaking was due to my brother borrowing it and blowing the amps running low ohm speakers on it :cry:

While I have had oddities with my (~9 year old) Denon in the living room, the only thing on it that actually doesn't work is one of the RCA audio jacks...which I only ever used for the Wii anyway, so I just moved it to a different set.

Rest of my family has pretty much the same story...other than my one brother who destroyed at least one other one in a similar fashion.

Still, I think far more often that gear gets replaced to support newer/better formats than actual failure. Which isn't to say that it doesn't fail, or that you couldn't find relatively common failures for particular model years (HDMI boards on some Onkyos for instance)...but in general, it lasts.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:50 am

Didn't read all the replies, but I was having troubles with a Wii2HDMI I couldn't reconcile (kept sending incompatible signals to the TV). The solution I came up with was to switch it out for component cables going through a Gonbez GBS-8200 into the TV's VGA input. Certain games just didn't work any other way, and the HD screen did horrible things to the interlacing without the scaler (some games just don't output 480P). The end result is the best I could do without resorting to much more expensive equipment.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 am

True isiolia. I've never really jumped into the receiver world as I've never really had a sound system and/or that many devices hooked up at once.

Anapan brings up a good point. Racket, you mentioned picking up new Wii games and this setup working previously. Have you tested this with a game you knew worked in the past? Some games might not like that converter worse than others and the aging Denon may compound this.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 am

5.1 audio decoding and other digital functions really screwed with audio receiver longevity. The best receivers are classic stereo ones. You can't really count on a modern receiver to last you a lifetime.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to Nintendo