Wii Resolution Issues Getting Out of Hand!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Anayo
Next-Gen

Re: Wii Resolution Issues Getting Out of Hand!

Post by Anayo »

It's actually possible to play gamecube games on wii u, it just requires installing the homebrew channel on its vWii. They have to be loaded over usb or an sd card in that case. The only thing preventing the wii u from supporting gamecube games is that the disc drive wasn't designed to accommodate those tiny discs.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Anayo wrote:It's actually possible to play gamecube games on wii u, it just requires installing the homebrew channel on its vWii. They have to be loaded over usb or an sd card in that case. The only thing preventing the wii u from supporting gamecube games is that the disc drive wasn't designed to accommodate those tiny discs.

Yeah, I actually looked into that as well :)
Still no ports though :(
marurun

Post by marurun »

I would second the recommendation to hook the Wii directly to the TV via composite or component and see what results you get with the TV doing the conversion and upscaling. If there's super-long delays on black screens there it might be the receiver. And that will also help you test component vs composite output to see if the delay occurs in one or the other or both.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

racketboy wrote:
Anayo wrote:It's actually possible to play gamecube games on wii u, it just requires installing the homebrew channel on its vWii. They have to be loaded over usb or an sd card in that case. The only thing preventing the wii u from supporting gamecube games is that the disc drive wasn't designed to accommodate those tiny discs.

Yeah, I actually looked into that as well :)
Still no ports though :(

Yeah the downside is you need a gamecube controller to usb adapter. If you want to transfer your save files from original gamecube memory cards you need a Wii with homebrew channel and a homebrew app called "gamecube memory manager" to relocate the files onto something the Wii U can read.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Yeah, definitely simplify the path and see what you get. Your receiver does have a component input (if you aren't using it for something else), so that'd be preferable for the Wii anyway if there isn't an issue at that stage. I think it only does conversion and not upscaling though - I have a slightly older, but higher tier Denon in my living room still (AVR-2310CI) that does do scaling, which is what I used for the Wii when it was in there (Wii U now). Worked nicely.

That said, I have had times where the receiver starts dropping the picture occasionally (in general, not just with Nintendo stuff), and the thing that seems to fix it (at least for a while) is simply replacing the HDMI cables. So, that may be something to try too, as they aren't exactly expensive via Amazon or Monoprice or whatever.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:I would second the recommendation to hook the Wii directly to the TV via composite or component and see what results you get with the TV doing the conversion and upscaling. If there's super-long delays on black screens there it might be the receiver. And that will also help you test component vs composite output to see if the delay occurs in one or the other or both.

The LCD doesn't have Composite, unfortunately. I could invest in some component cables, I suppose, but I'm worried it still going to do the same thing.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

racketboy wrote:The LCD doesn't have Composite, unfortunately. I could invest in some component cables, I suppose, but I'm worried it still going to do the same thing.

Plug the yellow composite cable into the green component input. It will work. :wink:
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

isiolia wrote:Yeah, definitely simplify the path and see what you get. Your receiver does have a component input (if you aren't using it for something else), so that'd be preferable for the Wii anyway if there isn't an issue at that stage. I think it only does conversion and not upscaling though - I have a slightly older, but higher tier Denon in my living room still (AVR-2310CI) that does do scaling, which is what I used for the Wii when it was in there (Wii U now). Worked nicely.

That said, I have had times where the receiver starts dropping the picture occasionally (in general, not just with Nintendo stuff), and the thing that seems to fix it (at least for a while) is simply replacing the HDMI cables. So, that may be something to try too, as they aren't exactly expensive via Amazon or Monoprice or whatever.

Oh I didn't even thing of trying that! I just happen to have a fresh one to try too...

So after changing the cable, it wasn't SO bad as it was yesterday, but still pretty annoying. You could actually view Settings now, but it still has the weird black screen delay (with sound still being played). Here's a video sample
https://youtu.be/QMKCBq7TzCQ

BUT! I actually tried a new experiment that I didn't do before: I hooked up the receiver to the CRT and had the Wii go through that and it acted the EXACT same way.
So it seems that the receiver is actually the culprit? Would something like that degrade on the receiver? It's only 6 years old, and, of course the most expensive piece of hardware in the whole setup :roll:

I suppose this makes me feel a bit more open to the component cables as it doesn't seem to be the Wii's problem (?) and theoretically connecting to the LCD directly via component has a decent chance (just won't get sound from our bookshelf speakers, is all...). But it would also be cool if the receiver doesn't have the same problem converting component video....

Any other insights after this new development?

bmoc wrote:
racketboy wrote:The LCD doesn't have Composite, unfortunately. I could invest in some component cables, I suppose, but I'm worried it still going to do the same thing.

Plug the yellow composite cable into the green component input. It will work. :wink:

Oh! ha -- I think I have heard of that before -- thanks for the reminder! Works great like that -- just stinks can't go through the receiver for sound, etc.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Looks like your tv has audio out via optical toslink or RCA cables. If you have a spare input on your receiver, just feed the audio back in.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

bmoc wrote:Looks like your tv has audio out via optical toslink or RCA cables. If you have a spare input on your receiver, just feed the audio back in.

Oh ok. Better than nothing! Thanks! I think this is good enough to get the CRT off our floor and back into the basement.

I'm still disappointed in the degredation of the conversion processing of the receiver. Has anyone heard of this before?