What is the best possible Mario game?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: What is the best possible Mario game?

Post by marurun »

I love both SMW and SMB3, but I think 3 is by far the better game. Level design is much tighter and more concise. The powers all have unique and varied functions. There are even so many tricks that only show up in a single level. SMW has a lot more repetition of level elements.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
TalonTheRetroGamer

Post by TalonTheRetroGamer »

Take Super Mario 64, make it as open world as possible, and maybe make the overall difficulty a little bit higher.
Please check out my retro game-themed YouTube channel, Talon The Retro Gamer: https://www.youtube.com/c/TalonTheRetroGamer
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

marurun wrote:I love both SMW and SMB3, but I think 3 is by far the better game. Level design is much tighter and more concise. The powers all have unique and varied functions. There are even so many tricks that only show up in a single level. SMW has a lot more repetition of level elements.

Pretty much this. SMB3 is my ideal Mario game. There might be a few nice features from others in the series, but the core has to be SMB3.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Did I say a third Galaxy game?

No.

What I really meant was a sequel to Mario Sunshine. Have the sequel packed with an HD version of the GameCube game alla Bayonetta 2.

Do the right thing Nintendo. Just do it.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

If SMB3 had saving, it'd be the best to me. I still own my original copy, but I play it in an emulator and save between stages (not mid playing a level) to simulate the SNES SMW save system.

Those games just nailed it. I did like the 2D DS & Wii Mario games. While I was pleasantly surprised, they just weren't quite there.

I realize this isn't a "best made Mario game," but I agree those 2 are near perfect and worthy of replication. It's odd to me that 1 for 1 SMB3 & SMW HD remakes haven't been done. Same games (add saving to 3) with new art and in HD. I guess that's my answer to OP :D

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

So basically release a Super Mario Allstars HD for Switch. :)
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

As much as I love SMB3 and World. Galaxy may be my favorite.
I know people hate the NSMB franchise, but I just stumbled onto (a couple years late) the Newer Super Mario Bros patch for the Wii game. I have to say I have not had as much fun playing a new Mario game as this since World. This mod felt fresh and took away the bland re-tread feel of the original NSMB games.
I posted more details about the mod in the Hacks and Mod forum.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Tanooki wrote:So basically release a Super Mario Allstars HD for Switch. :)

Not sure how I didn't mention that when Nintendo has re-packaged that a few ways :P.

Yeah, I remember thinking SMB3 looked odd so maybe I'd never be happy :lol:. I was thinking more of a NSMB look.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Mario 3 is Godlike.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I haven't played a Mario game since Galaxy 2, so maybe what I want has already been done in one of the games I haven't played. I'd love to have a new 2D Super Mario Bros. that innovated the series and maybe take it in a new direction instead of just recycling Super Mario Bros. 3 in higher definition graphics. I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. for the DS and Wii, but when the Wii U version came out I just didn't bother due to it feeling samey when I tried it out at Best Buy. Or perhaps a Super Mario World equivalent of Sonic Mania.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|