What is the best portable Mario game?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Segata
Next-Gen

What is the best portable Mario game?

Post by Segata »

Now I am excluding Mario Odyssey as it's also a console game. Talking purely on handhelds. Game Boy up to 3DS. This is also just for the main Mario platformers.

Personally, while I have not played a lot of Mario games on handhelds..mainly played ports of older Mario games. I have played the New Super Mario game on DS and well I have expressed my disdain for that series. That said, I really feel Super Mario Land 6 Golden Coins is one of the best Mario games I ever played. Nice detailed sprites for Game Boy. The OST is unlike any Mario game and it's great. The game is a bit different than most of the 2D Mario games but still feels like one. I spent many hours playing that game on my Game Boy Color Atomic Purple.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: What is the best portable Mario game?

Post by ZeroAX »

Super Mario Land 2. Tight gameplay which is a variation on the super mario world gameplay. It's slower and in my opinion it works to its advantage since it involves a lot of jumping around on platforms where the actual jump is the challenge. The music is really nice too.

Mind you if you don't count the Wario Land series as a Mario game then I think it's the only good portable Mario game. Ok 3D land isn't bad, but I found it a bit bland (some cool ideas but too much repetition). Super Mario Land was ok, but it's more of a curio of gaming history that I go back to for nostalgia, rather than a game that I think it's amazing. And I'm not a fan of the entire New Super Mario Bros series to be honest. I found the level design to be forgetable and REALLY bland. (mind you I haven't played the Wii U game, thoug this is about portable mario games anyway)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

You nullify your entire post removing Odyssey as the Switch is a handheld.

But I'll humor you despite that and say Super Mario Land 2. It had the best variety, mechanics, gameplay values, it was just tight. The original was solid too but for those who get uppity over it, the limited moves and very limited visuals hurt it. The good reasons in the post next to mine is why I'd vote for SML2.

And for the record Wario Land isn't a Mario game, just as Yoshi's Island isn't really Super Mario World 2 other than in name to sell it. I would never consider either in a portable or overall best list. I also feel the same about New Super Mario Bros games, they're not that great. The controls and physics are just off, and the stages more than not are just uninspired and boring, almost feel like a generic slapped together platformer with Mario stickers thrown over anything on screen just to sell a 'mario game' is how it comes off.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Tanooki wrote:You nullify your entire post removing Odyssey as the Switch is a handheld.

:roll:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Best retro portable Mario game:

Best modern portable Mario game:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Not sure why we can't count Odyssey, as it is portable, but...

Exhuminator wrote:Best retro portable Mario game:
[img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/7/9/8/46798_front.jpg</span>[/img]

Best modern portable Mario game:
[img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/3/2/9/180329_front.jpg</span>[/img]

/thread
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Eye roll all you like the Switch is a handheld dockable console. I just put that there because he was so adamant about excluding it from a handheld discussion. I still feel SML2 deserves it. :)
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Tanooki wrote:Eye roll all you like the Switch is a handheld dockable console. I just put that there because he was so adamant about excluding it from a handheld discussion. I still feel SML2 deserves it. :)

because this is purely for handhelds, not Hybrids. I love MO and think it's the best Mario since SMW. I just wanted more diversity than a bunch of MO answers.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Mario Land 2. It seems like this will be everyone’s answer and for good reason. Very well designed, lots of level variety and great graphics and music.

I actually enjoyed the original New Super Mario when it came out but I never have any desire to revisit it which is telling. I go back and play every Mario game occasionally except for the new series and 3d land. They’re good but they’re not classics.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Exhuminator wrote:Best retro portable Mario game:

Reads tagline on boxart, googles if link's awakening came out after this game, everything's all right.

When I was a kid I really failed to notice that all of my favorite gameboy games except for tetris, came out way leter in the console's lifespan.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.