Wii2HDMI Issues - No Picture on 2 TVs and 2 Units

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Wii2HDMI Issues - No Picture on 2 TVs and 2 Units

Post by racketboy »

For multiple reasons I won't get into yet, I decided to jump on getting a Wii2HDMI unit.
My first unit from Amazon would not work going through my Denon receiver or hooked up directly to my Visio LCD. I returned that unit and bought a different model that, while looking relatively the same, mentioned that it supports all display modes and resolutions.

This second unit showed up but I can't get a picture on my LCD directly, through my receiver, or directly to my HD CRT that I pulled out of retirement.

The reviews and reputation of these devices seem pretty strong, so I'm really confused what the issue is....

Any ideas?
Ziggy

Re: Wii2HDMI Issues - No Picture on 2 TVs and 2 Units

Post by Ziggy »

HDMI can be a pain in the ass. You could be dealing with off-spec resolution (some displays / AVRs are more picky than others) or HDCP problems. From what I've read, the best HDMI adapter for the Wii is the one that does not scale the image at all (it outputs 480p).
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:HDMI can be a pain in the ass. You could be dealing with off-spec resolution (some displays / AVRs are more picky than others) or HDCP problems. From what I've read, the best HDMI adapter for the Wii is the one that does not scale the image at all (it outputs 480p).

Well that is the Model I tried first.
Is there anything I need to change in the Wii settings or anything? Seems weird it won’t work on two different TVs
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'd imagine you'd wanna set 480p output, but that and aspect ratio are the only video settings the Wii has IIRC.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So my aspect ratio had widescreen selected -- even thought I don't think anything ever displayed in widescreen.
I changed it to 4:3 and re-tried on the the Wii2HDMI and still no success on either display.

I'm really baffled. Is their any change that something is wrong with my Wii's output even if composite output is working?
Should I return this Wii2HDMI unit and try a third one?
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

There is the off chance that the Wii component output is failing. Ordinarily, my suggestion would be to have bought a component cable from the beginning.
Lum fan.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I have a Sony blu ray player that lets me manually change resolutions under settings. Because of this, I know my gameroom TV accepts 480i and 480p over HDMI. Your TV might not accept 480p over HDMI?

I believe almost all Wii games support progressive scan but double check you're running a 480p game. I brought up 480i because they make a similar device for PS2 and I read a ton of bad reviews where it "wasn't working" ... but it likely was the TV not liking the PS2 480i signal over HDMI. Similar scenario.

Edit: Saw in your other thread you mentioned GameCube which would be mostly 480i games and you could run into issue above.

Also read you're running it through a receiver. Test everything directly to TV first and see if it is the Denon.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So wait, is the Wii set to 480i? Borrow (or buy a cheap set) component cables from someone so you can set the output to 480p, then test the Wii2HDMI.