Prospect of a new F-Zero HD Switch Title?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Prospect of a new F-Zero HD Switch Title?

Post by racketboy »

ESauced wrote:I would love to see a new F-Zero. GX was tough as nails but one of the few really hard games that I actually enjoyed playing. It wouldn’t hurt them to throw in an easy mode though.

And since it was brought up, I’d really like a new Pilotwings too. I would love it if they actually used the graphical power of the switch and made one with realistic landscapes. The 3ds one was okay but I found it pretty disappointing since it had less to do than the 64 version.

If nothing else, I always had a lot of fun just racing against my ghost and trying to beat my best times :)
Something like a coaching element (replaying footage of certain parts of your race and giving you tips for improvement) would be a cool feature.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Racketboy,

I don't think a new F-Zero is likely because the Gamecube one sold about 300,000 copies in 2005. However, I think a HD touch-up of the Gamecube version will come to the Nintendo Switch. On December 8th in the Nintendo Switch discussion thread I posted:

I have a feeling Gamecube games on Switch are coming soon. Reasons:

31 July 2016: Digital foundry publishes a video investigating whether Gamecube/Wii emulation is possible on Nintendo Switch. To test this hypothesis, they use Dolphin Emulator on Nvidia Shield. Their findings indicate that games run well at the original resolution (480p); the same games scaled up to 1080p exhibit more unstable frame rates but are mostly playable.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGdHM8AIhvw

24 October 2017: Support for Gamecube controllers is added to the Nintendo Switch via a firmware update.

Source: https://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch- ... 1819795549

5 December 2017: HD remasters of Wii games are released for the Nvidia shield, but only in China. The games include Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess, and Punch Out.

Source: https://www.destructoid.com/apparently- ... 6283.phtml

It's worth noting that in terms of hardware the Wii is basically a beefed-up version of the Gamecube (IBM power PC). Nvidia Shield and Nintendo Switch are fundamentally the same hardware as well (Nvidia Tegra).
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'm ok with that. Some subtle enhancements would be pretty cool, if possible. I wonder how hard it would be to go back to the code and add stuff and still run on the emulator.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Anayo wrote:However, I think a HD touch-up of the Gamecube version will come to the Nintendo Switch. On December 8th in the Nintendo Switch discussion thread I posted[...]

24 October 2017: Support for Gamecube controllers is added to the Nintendo Switch via a firmware update.

The GameCube controller support was a lucky accident though. Nintendo just added third part controller support via the USB port and it happened to allow the GameCube adapter to work. It wasn't actually their intention to add support.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
ohdot

Post by ohdot »

Segata wrote:Melee is a bit too fast and the game is somewhat broken because of it. Nostalgia oversells Melee. Wii U Smash is easily the best in the series. Not as slow as Brawl and not too fast like Melee. Nice balance in between. Has the best roster of the series.

I don't really agree with this, I think Melee's speed was perfect for party play. But I suppose it depends on what you get out of it.

For me, Smash Wii U was just terrible. Me and my friends couldn't really enjoy it due to few stages that were fun to play with all the big stage hazards, the new game modes were kind of bad and the need to equip characters made getting through content a bit of a chore. And the new items! We turned all of them off, they are horrid and make the single player horrid to play.

Melee in every way was just fun. I think Smash Wii U was a disappointment.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Have to say I more agree with your assessment of the WiiU/3DS game than his by a long mile. It was all quite annoying to me. I had the 3DS version of the title and lucked into it on accident for under $10 new so I didn't lose getting rid of it, but it was nice to experience trying it out for a bit before getting fed up with that list of grievances against it.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

The whole Smash series is overrated as hell. Give me a proper fighter any day of the week. Hell, give me Power Stone.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Reprise wrote:The whole Smash series is overrated as hell. Give me a proper fighter any day of the week. Hell, give me Power Stone.

Yeah, honestly, that's my view. One of these days, I will probably pick up a Smash Bros game (I've only played other people's) but I've got enough other fighters I adore.
Once my son gets older, I'll choose one version of Smash Bros that is the best fit for us and start there.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

2D fighting games not named Smash Bros. are overrated as hell. Give me any of the Smash series any day of the week.

Don't give me Power Stone, that one sucks too.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

alienjesus wrote:2D fighting games not named Smash Bros. are overrated as hell. Give me any of the Smash series any day of the week.

Don't give me Power Stone, that one sucks too.

This is literally the opposite of how I feel :lol:

As for a new F-Zero, I'd rather just see a GX port, since its almost impossible to make a better racing game then that. Bring Super Monkey Ball with it too, and add optional motion controls for em. Joy Con Monkey Ball would be delicious <3