Gameboy Carts Hardware Adapter Android Phone

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

https://hyperkinlab.com/smartboy-development-kit-android-micro-usb-version-hyperkin/

Okay this is interesting. A different approach of emulation, plugging Gameboy and Gameboy Color carts directly into your Android phone via a Hyperkin adapter. Still in development with evaluation prototype available for sale, I hope they expand on this with the following:

1. Include Gameboy Advance (currently experimental), need trigger buttons added.

2. Instead of mechanical buttons to touchscreen of cell phone; implement real electric buttons blue toothed from the adapter. The buttons even in the mechanical form are to me the big sell point.

3. Allow the controls to open source for regular Android games.

Since emulation with roms is already possible all directly in the phone memory, will be interesting if this cart device would have a market. There was a "Mame" style iPad Atari Arcade mini desktop arcade stick, but a market fail due to only supporting Atari Roms locked to the stick. I would be interested in the Gameboy Hyperkin Phone route if the options above are included.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/11/21/can-beta-test-add-turns-smartphone-classic-gameboy/
The Smart Boy adjusts its fit to cater to the many different sizes of smartphones. Its buttons activate sections on your screen that tell your phone which button is being pressed after a little bit of setup to tailor it on a wide range of screen sizes. The top of the phone will display the game. You do need the cartridges to play the games you want, as they are not available for downloading. The Smart Boy is still in development, but you can purchase the test model as a “Development Kit.”

Although many retro gamers grew up as classic games were new releases, these also have a younger audience. The development of this product and others like it allow these games to have a second chance in a new generation, providing anyone with an Android the opportunity to play these games as they were made. This device brings retro games into the future and into the hands of a new set of gamers.

EDIT after a Google search. Surprise, a retail version! I'll hold out for revision 2 hopefully for GBA carts. :shock:

https://hyperkinlab.com/smartboy-mobile-device-for-game-boy-game-boy-color-android-usb-type-c-version-hyperkin/

The SmartBoy Mobile Device for Game Boy/ Game Boy Color (Android USB Type-C Version) attaches to Android USB Type-C smartphones and is compatible with Game Boy and Game Boy Color cartridges.

• Plays GB and GBC cartridges
• Compatible with NTSC/PAL cartridges
• Classic-style tactile button set
• Designed for Samsung's S8 line and up (other Android device compatibility may vary)
• Phone Size: 5.2 - 6.4 inches
• Upscales to phone’s resolution
• USB Type-C port
• Does not require batteries
*The SmartBoy is compatible with other apps and games, including GBA apps from Google Play. Configuration for such apps may vary.

The SmartBoy (Android USB Type-C Version) currently supports the following phones:
Asus ZenFone 2
Asus ZenFone 3
Gionee Marathon M5
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 2 XL
Huawei Honor 8
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Nova
Huawei P9 Plus
Huawei P10
LeEco Le 2
LeEco Le 2 Pro
Lenovo Zuk Edge
Lenovo Zuk Z1
LG G5
LG Nexus 5x
Meizu Pro 6 Plus
Motorola Moto Z
Motorola Moto Z Force
OnePlus 2
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 3T
Samsung Galaxy Note 7
Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Vivo Xplay 5 Elite
Xiaomi Mi 5
ZTE Axon 7

Duo Games Atari Arcade - $59.99 $10-$15 Amazon/Ebay
Hey, the Gameboy Android adapter does remind me with colors similar to the Atari Arcade for the iPad! Noise sold me his a while back, I just ordered another one in the box on the cheap at Ebay. The beautiful arcade quality stick should have been unlocked open source for all the games on the iPad! The stick an inexpensive purchase for an easy mod as a compact Console or PC USB stick or even a mod bluetooth route for the cell phone. A very easy mod for the 2600 and 7800 consoles as well.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Gameboy Carts Hardware Adapter Android Phone

Post by dunpeal2064 »

For all those kids that lug around a bunch of Game Boy games, but no Game Boy!

$50?? Thats more than I paid for an AGS-101 last week. Who exactly is this for? Even if you ignore the cart slot (Which you are paying for, even though its dumb), its still just plastic being pushed into your screen! Just get a bluetooth controller and play emulators, or play on a Game Boy!

I must be getting old or something, because this just seems like the dumbest thing.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

It seemed wasteful to me too, and really how many android devices will that really be able to fit either? It seems like it was destined to be very limited due to its own wonky design limitations. I could see someone being Android hack the hell out of it to just run dumped GB games to an emulator though. That could be worth having that strapped onto a phone if you have one that fits.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Just get a bluetooth controller and play emulators

This is the correct answer.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.