PSA: End of Miiverse Service Announcement

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

PSA: End of Miiverse Service Announcement

Post by Ziggy »

End of Miiverse Service Announcement

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYM ... V44YslslXw

Hi everyone, it’s Tom at Nintendo. I have an important announcement: On November 7th, 10:00 pm Pacific Time, we will permanently close the Miiverse service.

If you log into your account on miiverse.nintendo.net before the service ends, you can opt to download all your Miiverse stuff once the services is discontinued.

Information on downloading your post history: By making this request, you will be able to download your posts – plus any screenshots saved to your album – to your PC after the Miiverse service has ended. To use this download service, you will need to have a Nintendo Account linked with your Nintendo Network ID, and must make the download request before the Miiverse service ends. To find out more about this service or to make the download request, click on the “Information on Downloading your Post History” button at the top of the Miiverse website.
Last edited by Ziggy on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ziggy

Re: End of Miiverse Service Announcement

Post by Ziggy »

To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of Miiverse as a social media platform. I mean, I never logged on specifically to post or to connect with others. And I really didn't care for the Miiverse integration in most games (in fact, I would almost always turn it off). However, there's two games that I feel Miiverse really helped to enrich.

Super Mario Maker

The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker HD

I got the Wind Waker Wii U bundle, so that was the first game I had for the console. I had an absolute BLAST with the Tingle Bottles! I knew that the Miiverse service would one day be shut down, and the game would lose something special. Since then, I've wanted to replay the game before the end of Miiverse. Coincidentally, and luckily, I just started a new game before finding this Miiverse post. I should be able to beat it before November 7th, but it'll be sad knowing that this is the last time I'll be able to play the game with this feature.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYM ... V44bayDRpA

And as for Mario Maker... Comments aren't a make or break feature for the game or anything, but it sure added another layer of fun. I know there was Miiverse posting in other games, but it always seemed very unnecessary, and an unwanted annoyance at times. But in Mario Maker, I don't know, commenting seems like a natural part of something that's more creative like Mario Maker. Apparently, Nintendo announced that they will update Mario Maker so you can share levels without Miiverse, so at least there's that. No other details at this time though. Really, I was hoping to get a Mario Maker port on the Switch so it can just live on.
Last edited by Ziggy on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I for one will miss the miiverse tragically. That platform was not only a source of unlimited entertainment and creativity, it was a genuine community of people enthusing about games. My wife and I would delight in the odd, enigmatic posts in games like Yoshis Wooley World, or any of the Mario games... would take pleasure in receiving the messages in a bottle from wind Waker hd and hear people's thoughts during their adventures.

Most importantly was how miiverse was used in Mario maker. I made a quiz level that required the in game comments to offer questions and multiple choice answers for people to select. There was nothing more exciting than to what people applaud or curse your creations.

Miiverse was a uniquely Nintendo idea that I will always look back on fondly.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Physical/Analog prevails in the end...

Didn't really utilize or see much Miiverse in action myself, but this just sucks. It was cool going through some games like 3D World or NSMBU and seeing the little user notes on the world map between levels. I can't imagine how weird stuff like Mario Maker and whatnot is going to be like now. In fact, I still haven't picked up Mario Maker and to be honest, this and Nintendo literally cutting off the Wii U in every capacity is kind of keeping me away from picking it up at this point.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Miiverse was poorly utilized, but I was quite fond of it. I'll miss the hell out of it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: PSA: End of Miiverse Service Announcement

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I really liked seeing all the posts that would pop up when you booted up the Wii U! And all those CRAZY detailed drawings people do on there! I'm gonna miss it :(
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I really liked seeing all the posts that would pop up when you booted up the Wii U! And all those CRAZY detailed drawings people do on there! I'm gonna miss it :(

That was definitely a very unique console experience. Do you think Nintendo will push out an update for the U to change that welcome screen? I've never had my U not connected to the Internet, so I don't know what it does when it can't connect to Miiverse.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

When my internet went down before I had the icons for Nintendos Switch apps (settings, eshop etc) appear on the hub and pre-programmed tips about how to use them appearing as the comments.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

This is one of the funnier Miiverse posts I've seen...

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYM ... VHhxleOjpA

Remember, Toad this is a sneaking mission.

Toad? Toad!? TOOOAD!!!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I can't connect to Miiverse right now (on the Wii U). I'm getting an error message that says "Either the server is experiencing high traffic volumes or a server error has occurred. Please try again later." I've never had that happen before. I wonder if there's high volume right now because people know it's ending. I've seen a lot of "let Nintendo know you don't want to lose Miiverse" posts since the announcement. Also, today is the anniversary of the NA launch of Super Mario Maker. So one of those things might be causing high volume today, or both combined.