Should I be concerned about this NES Label? $130 Metal Storm

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Should I be concerned about this NES Label? $130 Metal Storm

Post by racketboy »

OK for my birthday, I treated myself to the first significant retro purchase in forever -- I finally got Metal Storm for the NES.
I had it on my wishlist forever when it was only like $20 or something (I actually had that written on my list)
Well, after I was working on my revised rare and valuable list, I saw how much it jumped (revision will be posted in a few weeks).

So I spent $130 on eBay. I saw that the seller pointed out a label flaw and it seemed to align with the little notch on the top that I saw in the picture. Everything else looked really nice.

But when I got it, I saw this pronounced bubble on the front of the label. Going back to the eBay pictures you can kinda see it faintly but not like in real life.

The seller has great feedback and offers a 30 day guarantee as long as I pay return shipping (and maybe a 10% restocking)

Should I return it or am I making too big a deal out of it? It wasn't the cheapest listing (but also not the most expensive), so I didn't expect many sacrifices other than the one notch I was already aware of

Here's the listing -- you can see his photos and description.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/METAL-STORM-NES ... 2749.l2649

I will attach my pictures
Attachments
2017-08-22 17.59.30.jpg
2017-08-22 17.59.30.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 2733 times
2017-08-22 17.59.57.jpg
2017-08-22 17.59.57.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2733 times
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Should I be concerned about this NES Label? $130 Metal S

Post by CRTGAMER »

racketboy wrote:But when I got it, I saw this pronounced bubble on the front of the label. Going back to the eBay pictures you can kinda see it faintly but not like in real life. The seller has great feedback and offers a 30 day guarantee as long as I pay return shipping (and maybe a 10% restocking)

Should I return it or am I making too big a deal out of it? It wasn't the cheapest listing (but also not the most expensive), so I didn't expect many sacrifices other than the one notch I was already aware of

Here's the listing -- you can see his photos and description.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/METAL-STORM-NES ... 2749.l2649

A Right Click offers a zoomed out quick full view.
Based on the seller's description and the last picture shot on Ebay, the seller appears honest enough. The cart looks okay, but there is that very slight damage on the end label and the bubble on the front. At the price you paid, I would go for absolute pristine. On the other hand, you might want to have another cart ordered and possibly received to verify before giving up that one. If the seller does honor that 30 day which seems fair even if you have to pay the return shipping. Perhaps buy another cart first? Quick look at other listings show a couple with that same bubble issue.

A shame on the dent at the end label, it could be re-glued by lifting slightly with putty knife and a dab of glue underneath using a tooth pick.

I ran into a similar situation with the Lepy/Lepai amp; did not want to send one back until I got another version. Turns out I will now keep all three Lepy/Lepai versions; an update to my Lepai guide on the way. Not that I am advising a backup of a pricey game.

The NES market could get interesting with the the HDMI NES consoles. The newest HDMI Retron at $39.00 might kick renewed interest in the original NES cart market; the kids who played them new now rediscovering for the HDTV.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

If you have a driver that can open those screws then you could always open it up and check the board (to see if it's a repro). Otherwise, as long as when you pop it into your NES it actually is Metal Storm then I wouldn't worry.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I don't get the feel it's a repo. Everything is pretty convincing. I just hate that it's the most I've ever spent on a game and it ends of being one of the worst conditioned labels in my NES collection.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'd hold onto it, but if it bugs you you could use a hairdryer on the coolest setting and pull the label up just enough to expose the edge of the bubble and from there figure it out. Either go further and pack it with some elmers glue stick material and press down with a thumb for 5min so it sets flat, then do the same for the rest. Or be careful and leave it alone and try not to snag it.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Tanooki wrote:I'd hold onto it, but if it bugs you you could use a hairdryer on the coolest setting and pull the label up just enough to expose the edge of the bubble and from there figure it out. Either go further and pack it with some elmers glue stick material and press down with a thumb for 5min so it sets flat, then do the same for the rest. Or be careful and leave it alone and try not to snag it.

Just curious: why go through all that effort and the chance of damaging it further if there is a return policy?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if it's going to bug you, then I'd got ahead and return it while you can.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

racketboy wrote:
Tanooki wrote:I'd hold onto it, but if it bugs you you could use a hairdryer on the coolest setting and pull the label up just enough to expose the edge of the bubble and from there figure it out. Either go further and pack it with some elmers glue stick material and press down with a thumb for 5min so it sets flat, then do the same for the rest. Or be careful and leave it alone and try not to snag it.

Just curious: why go through all that effort and the chance of damaging it further if there is a return policy?

I don't keep up, is $130 average or a good deal? NES stuff got so cracked out and offensively priced to me I stopped paying attention, though recently I've noticed the NES/SNES prices have a mix of leveling off and some drops but not by much. Odds of damaging the label if you heat the glue is minimal if you go very slowly with it, that's why I suggested it, and that glue stick works 100% on old labels as I've used it for years on stuff that curled or like that bubbled up successfully.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Tanooki wrote:
racketboy wrote:

I don't keep up, is $130 average or a good deal? NES stuff got so cracked out and offensively priced to me I stopped paying attention, though recently I've noticed the NES/SNES prices have a mix of leveling off and some drops but not by much. Odds of damaging the label if you heat the glue is minimal if you go very slowly with it, that's why I suggested it, and that glue stick works 100% on old labels as I've used it for years on stuff that curled or like that bubbled up successfully.

You can get it in the $100 range if you're lucky. I just saw one close for that today. But I have $150 as the most common bare cart price in the upcoming R&V NES guide.
But for $150, you should get really good shade. Anything higher should be immaculate and/or should come with a manual.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

If it is going to bother you, then you should return it. I would be OK with it, but it isn't like you got it for far below market value. What matters is whether you are happy with it. If you aren't, get your money back and pick up another in better condition.

Also...Metal Storm rules. I love that game.