Best Puzzle/Puzzle Action games for the NES?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Best Puzzle/Puzzle Action games for the NES?

Post by racketboy »

So I just finished my first draft of the full rewrite of the Rare and Valuable NES games. Today I wrote the pieces on both Bomberman II and Fire N Ice.

I loved Bomberman II to pieces. It was probably one of the games I emulated the most forever ago when I first ran emulators.

Fire N Ice I haven't played yet, but when watching videos of it, I REALLY want to play it. I wish they made a GBA version :D

What other puzzle or puzzle action games do you love on the NES? If we get a healthy list (try to include a bit of a sales pitch for your favorites) maybe we can piece it into a guide :D
marurun

Re: Best Puzzle/Puzzle Action games for the NES?

Post by marurun »

Do you consider stuff like Bubble Bobble and Snow Brothers to be Puzzle Action, or just Action masquerading as Puzzle.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Do you consider stuff like Bubble Bobble and Snow Brothers to be Puzzle Action, or just Action masquerading as Puzzle.

Hmm. That's a good question. I would probably include them, but maybe we need some code to mark the level of puzzle-mess?
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

The three Adventures of Lolo games are a solid trilogy of action puzzle games. The games are series of one room puzzles where the goal is to get a group of heart symbols to unlock the door and make it to the next room. The rooms are usually littered with monsters that serve as obstacles. Some of them move when the door opens, some shoot at you if you cross their line of sight and others are simply fodder blocking the path.

They are all developed by Hal. The games have a cutesy aesthetic that ties into Hals other games at the time (i.e. Kirby). Anyways I recommend them highly.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Kickle Cubicle is one of my favorites.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I second LoLo. Eases you in... ramps up. Very simple but innovative series.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

So, there's the obvious stuff like Tetris, Dr. Mario, and Yoshi's Cookie and the obvious action stuff like Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, and Snow Brothers. I like the LoLo recommendation. They're well-known and well-regarded, though I never played them as a kid.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.