How is your N64 gaming going?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: How is your N64 gaming going?

Post by Ziggy »

I know I'm missing some N64 games from my Backloggery. I think I have Mario Gold or Mario Tennis, and some other recent minor additions. But... I'm not sure how I could have left out DOOM 64! List edited!

alienjesus wrote:Army Men and Castlevania are games I might pick up eventually just out of a love for the system.

They definitely fall into that middle ground territory. They wont make anyone's list of best games for the N64, but after you've already explored the "must plays" for the console, Army Men and Castlevania are toward the top of what's left over before you start scraping the bottom of the barrel. If that makes sense. They're cheap enough, definitely worth picking up.

alienjesus wrote:I want all the Rareware games for the console too, which is mainly why I was curious about Mickey's Speedway. At this point the ones i'm missing are Mickey's Speedway, Killer Instict, Goldeneye and Conker. Conker is one of those pricy ones >_<

Yeah, DK64 was the only Rare platformer I had for the N64 back when. Luckily, I was able to pick up the Banjo's and Conker before prices starting going up. But after getting them, I realized I only needed Mickey's Speedway to complete my Rare N64 collection.

That's not the only reason I got the game though. I was trying to find my forum post when I first discovered the game. I thought Diddy Kong Racing was awesome, so this would be just like that only with Disney characters instead. I was wrong. It's not a terrible game, but it just doesn't stack up to Diddy Kong Racing or Mario Kart 64.

alienjesus wrote:Shadows of the Empire looks very awkward to control to me, so I'm mainly curious if it's worth the learning curve. Sounds l;ike you swear by it though!

Yeah, that's the thing. I know the game has some annoyances. I'm just not sure how much I overlook. To be honest, the game doesn't control too bad once you get use to it. But it feels slippery as hell when you first pick it up. It has some platforming going on, which can be difficult until you get the controls down. Aiming isn't a problem because, while you can manually aim, you can also auto aim. Most of the stages are third person shooting, but there's a number of stages that have you flying around in a ship. They're definitely awesome. The first stage is the Battle of Hoth, where you have to use your toe cables to take down AT-AT's.

But again, if you're a fan of Star Wars then it's a MUST PLAY. If you don't care about Star Wars, I'm really not sure how good the game is if you're being totally objective.

alienjesus wrote:Tony Hawk's is a series I played on my cousins Playstation back in the day, he had THPS2. I picked it up on Dreamcast for Together Retro a few years back and found it almost unplayable. I assumed at the time that the game had just aged really poorly, but maybe it's just the controls on the dreamcast version that gave me problems?

The problem with the DC version is that the D-Pad sucks. Each of the 8 directions on the D-Pad will perform a different trick. The DC D-Pad is just impossible to consistently nail the direction you intend to. I'd always accidentally hit a different direction, which can either cause you to score less points, or possible even cause you to wipe out. It was frustrating as hell. The DC version looks beautiful, but the controls are so much nicer on the N64 and PS1 (all due to the D-Pad) that it ends up making the game more enjoyable. I actually bought a PS to DC controller adapter just so I could play the DC version with a better D-Pad!

I guess the PS1 version ends up being better than the N64 version due to the fact that it has more content. But you're not missing anything important with the N64. Unless the smaller track list and shorter loops will drive you nuts. At least the cart has no loading time compared to the other versions. And, yeah, blue cart!

Ack

Post by Ack »

Ok, time to drop my own stuff I suppose. This is what I own for my N64:

1080 Snowboarding
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Blast Corps
Castlevania 64
Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut
Daikatana
Diddy Kong Racing
Dual Heroes
Fighters Destiny
Fighters Destiny 2
Flying Dragon
Goemon's Great Adventure
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mace: The Dark Age
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
NFL Quarterback Club '98
Ogre Battle 64
Rakuga Kids
S.D. Hiryu no Ken Densetsu
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
War Gods
Xena: Warrior Princess -- The Talisman of Fate
Yoshi's Story

Let the questions begin.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. is another cover I always saw at Blockbuster. :lol:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:Ok, time to drop my own stuff I suppose. This is what I own for my N64:

1080 Snowboarding
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Blast Corps
Castlevania 64
Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut
Daikatana
Diddy Kong Racing
Dual Heroes
Fighters Destiny
Fighters Destiny 2
Flying Dragon
Goemon's Great Adventure
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mace: The Dark Age
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
NFL Quarterback Club '98
Ogre Battle 64
Rakuga Kids
S.D. Hiryu no Ken Densetsu
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
War Gods
Xena: Warrior Princess -- The Talisman of Fate
Yoshi's Story

Let the questions begin.

I'm extremely jealous of your Sculptor's Cut and Transmetals.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut ... holy crap the Blockbuster one?
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Not added a new N64 game in a long while.

What I have and not the most impressive. While I do have the boxes for some the only one that is I keep in it's box is Mega Man 64. Reason is I got it brand new 6 years ago cheap off Amazon. I got to open that shrink wrap. Felt so good.

My MM is the gold one. My OoT is the version with the islam chant and red blood. Only years later did I know this was changed.

Anyway.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Xeogred wrote:Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut ... holy crap the Blockbuster one?

Yeah, that's the one. I picked it up years ago when it was only $50.

I used to own 63 1/3 as well, but sold it and several other N64 games at a point when money was tight. Maybe one day I'll reacquire what I gave up.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've got 63 1/3, but I've coveted Sculptor's Cut for years.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ack wrote:Ok, time to drop my own stuff I suppose. This is what I own for my N64:

Let the questions begin.

I guess you were never able to reconcile your differences with Super Mario 64? :lol:

Since you're also missing the four Rare platformers... Have you been able to enjoy any 3D platformer in the past 10 years since that thread? I ask because I know that feelings can change a lot in 10 years. I know that I have been able to enjoy quite a few games (and some movies and some music, for that matter) that I disliked 10 years ago.

So... Someone stole your copy of Goldeneye or something? Because I can't think of another reason why someone would own an N64 but not own that game.

Segata wrote:My MM is the gold one. My OoT is the version with the islam chant and red blood. Only years later did I know this was changed.

IIRC, Majora's Mask were all gold carts. The limited thing was the hologram label, then just a plan label on a gold cart. The only grey MM carts, AFAIK, are Not For Resale versions.

Funny story about OoT. I never played it back in the day. I randomly acquired a grey cart version over the years. When I finally got to playing it, I was a few hours into the game before learning about the censoring that was done. I was pissed, and promptly got myself a gold OoT cart off eBay. I really didn't wanna start the game over though. I used a GameShark to copy the cart save data to a memory card, then I copied it from the memory card to the gold cart. It worked! It was only after I beat the game that I learned not all grey carts are the censored version. The grey cart I had wasn't censored, so it was all for naught. :?

Ack wrote:Maybe one day I'll reacquire what I gave up.

Or... http://krikzz.com/store/home/30-everdrive-64-v25.html
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Anyone know what the GC versions of OoT were based on? There's the Ocarina of Time & Master Quest, then the Zelda Collectors Edition.

I have the gold cart myself and remember having to have that version for some infinite jumping Gameshark code to get a left over heart container that was in the Gerudo area for young Link.

I don't remember blood, but I know about the Fire Temple music being changed at least. Anything else? I wonder if there's a good video out there that breaks all the versions down.

And yeah, at least in the US all versions of Majora's Mask were gold carts. I actually think OoT had a blue cart too, but maybe that was Europe.

Found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaEeWMV_f_E