How is your N64 gaming going?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
MrPopo

Re: How is your N64 gaming going?

Post by MrPopo »

You are correct; Turok 2 has much more variety in the levels; Turok 1 is jungles and jungle temples.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Alright, level 2 was awesome. I can probably tolerate the endless jungles of jungles thing (Serious Sam is very guilty of the same thing haha). But it was moreso just how boring the level design for level 1 was. Felt like something awful an old bad level editor would have cooked up where every room and hallway feels the same.

Thankfully level 2 was way better and consistently interesting. So I'm having a lot more fun. But I hope the key thing doesn't become an annoying scavenger hunt? I think I missed one key in level 2, but level 3 is opened up. I'll probably go to the 3 and head back to 2 later.

Popo I think I recall in your review you saying ammo was really scarce, but so far I'm not having much trouble. But the ammo cap is definitely pretty small and it's intense how the enemies respawn frequently.

I AM A TUROK - one up chime cracked me up.

The game doesn't look too bad or inaccurate with FOV set to 90 either. I'm assuming the 74 option was maybe the default, it's so ugly how close up some old FPS's were with the view haha.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

KIRBY 64 OWNS
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The first boss in Turok is completely bonkers. Maybe this is what Popo meant by ammo management... christ I ran out of bullets constantly and it only gives you a few random 10 clips or explosive shells? I sank 7 lives into this guy and still failed.

And the save point before him is what Hell probably looks like:

It's not exactly pixel perfect Crash Bandicoot madness, but you still have to be pretty damn precise with the platforming in this.

This thread is really boosting the N64 energy for me though. How are the cart prices nowadays? Are there any HDMI upscalers? Would be fun to scoop up a bunch of games sometime. I'm also going to need those custom game title print out stickers for the top of the carts though, drives me crazy they didn't have anything there.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Right, it's not that ammo is scarce per-say, rather than the ammo cap means that you always feel like you're running dry on shots for the power powerful stuff. Like, the ammo is distributed about as well as Quake/Quake 2, but those games let you horde a lot more of it, so there's less you leaving ammo behind. Also, stage 1 is by far the longest stage, so I'm not surprised it started to grate on you compared to the other stages.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's just like classic DOOM, you gotta find a backpack to increase your carrying capacity!
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

My sister came by last night while she was in town, she and my wife begged me to break out the 64. I relented and we played some battles in Mario Kart and had a game of Mario Party 3.

Holding the controller really does feel nostalgic, but I can no longer jive with its awkward shape and terrible analog stick. Well we had a lot of fun anyways. One thing I never noticed before, but on Mario Kart once you play at three or more players it doesn't have music. I guess as a kid there's just so much yelling and excitement that you didn't notice.
Last edited by strangenova on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miked
128-bit

Post by miked »

Glad to see this thread doing ok. If anything I just wanted to read what you guys have to say so I could get an idea of stuff to play beyond the typical first party stuff.

I personally love the controller but for those that don't a kickstarter is currently active for a pretty sweet looking alternative:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... n=c3e7c4a3

These guys released an NES controller awhile back successfully so I trust it. Only $20 backing gets you one in November, and this is the first KS I have ever backed.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It looks awesome, and I look forward to getting one. But it has my same complaint that I have for the Hori mini pad, that it has Z on both sides of the controller. At least they're very differently shaped buttons, so maybe I wouldn't confuse them as easily as I do on the Hori.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Its a $20 Hori mini pad lite. I am in for one.