How is your N64 gaming going?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: How is your N64 gaming going?

Post by alienjesus »

fastbilly1 wrote:I didnt know that was a problem with Mischief Makers. Makes me wonder what other games have these problems.

I am honestly wavering on a N64 HDMI mod and an Everdrive 64 (mostly for Goldeneye X).

I had some difficulty finding anyone saying the same too. It's possible it's only an issue with the PAL version though. I have had 2 cartridges of it (I bought a 2nd because I thought the first was broken) and they both do the same thing.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Maybe it is a bug exclusive to the PAL version. I know I've played through the game with the Expansion Pak installed and I never had a problem.

fastbilly1 wrote:I am honestly wavering on a N64 HDMI mod and an Everdrive 64 (mostly for Goldeneye X).

I've said it before, I'd love to get an UltraHDMI if only there was a place that had them in stock!

I have an Everdrive 64 and it's been great. It could be worth it for Goldeneye X alone, if you have people willing to play.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Aleck64 games run on the Everdrive! That settles it, an Everdrive is in my future. Though paying $400+ for a hdmi modded N64 is not.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

fastbilly1 wrote:Aleck64 games run on the Everdrive! That settles it, an Everdrive is in my future. Though paying $400+ for a hdmi modded N64 is not.

Same, though the Everdrive is far in my future.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

They only cost that much because the kits are never in stock anywhere. There are 5 on eBay right now, and 4 of them are BIN with $400+ price tags. This one has an opening bid of $325, let's see what it actually sells for though.

If Marshall could get better quantities made faster, it wouldn't be a problem. I doubt you'd see pre-modded consoles for that much. The install isn't hard at all, that price has to be mostly due to supply and demand issues.

I get that he doesn't want to sell them directly to people and have to deal with every Tom, Dick and Harry butchering the install then asking for refunds. But that still doesn't explain the supply issue. Resellers are never in stock. When stock comes along, it's gone well before I hear about it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ziggy587 wrote:They only cost that much because the kits are never in stock anywhere. There are 5 on eBay right now, and 4 of them are BIN with $400+ price tags. This one has an opening bid of $325, let's see what it actually sells for though.

If Marshall could get better quantities made faster, it wouldn't be a problem. I doubt you'd see pre-modded consoles for that much. The install isn't hard at all, that price has to be mostly due to supply and demand issues.

I get that he doesn't want to sell them directly to people and have to deal with every Tom, Dick and Harry butchering the install then asking for refunds. But that still doesn't explain the supply issue. Resellers are never in stock. When stock comes along, it's gone well before I hear about it.

Generally they all have a waiting list long enough that when stock comes in, it's all allocated before it becomes available to buy on site.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I wish Marshall would at least have more info on his site. Status updates, I mean. I was able to find one forum post from a few months ago that explained a possible reason. There was a production error or something and Marshall was having to tweak or fix each individual piece by hand which was causing massive delays in getting them out. The poster didn't give a link to where he/she found this info.

Knowing goes a long way. Right now I'm sure a lot of us are thinking, "Will I EVER get an UltraHDMI?" Not being able to get one and not knowing why just pisses a lot of people off.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

alienjesus wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Pulled out an N64 the night that I posted that, finally got a chance to hook it up last night. Ended up toying around in Space Station Silicon Valley for the most part. Oddly enough, that game hates the ram expansion, and will not run properly with it installed.

I have similar issues with Mischeif Makers. The game runs, but I get incredibly frequent crashes.

Put the jumper pak back in, runs perfectly

That's weird. I have Mischief Makers and don't remember ever having problems, although I haven't played the game much, so maybe I just haven't played it enough. I hope there isn't an issue, because I don't own a jumper pak (although I know they're probably cheap) :?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Reprise wrote:
alienjesus wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Pulled out an N64 the night that I posted that, finally got a chance to hook it up last night. Ended up toying around in Space Station Silicon Valley for the most part. Oddly enough, that game hates the ram expansion, and will not run properly with it installed.

I have similar issues with Mischeif Makers. The game runs, but I get incredibly frequent crashes.

Put the jumper pak back in, runs perfectly

That's weird. I have Mischief Makers and don't remember ever having problems, although I haven't played the game much, so maybe I just haven't played it enough. I hope there isn't an issue, because I don't own a jumper pak (although I know they're probably cheap) :?

It's inconsistent, but common enough to be an issue. I didn't have a jumper pak any more either, but it cost me like £3 for a new one on eBay.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Alright guys, real talk...

Not sure what to think of Turok 1, haha. I'm playing the new remastered version on Steam, so it's got some nice upgrades to it. Runs really well and feels natural with a modern controller. In a lot of ways I can see how this was probably helping push the genre into the direction it needed to go at the time, I always heard it had a good control scheme (?) and such. In ways it's different than Goldeneye and the likes, with bigger open levels.

But in general the level design is extremely flat and uninteresting. Throughout the whole first level the music was just kind of droning and tiresome. Combat was alright but not great. Weird platforming and stuff. I went in expecting Unreal and the comparison is kind of there, but yeah.

Nothing about it feels familiar, so I have no nostalgia attached. I think it was Turok 2 that I played back in the day and remember the levels being a lot more interesting than this.

Maybe I'll stick it out! Maybe not. I can appreciate it though, but time is not always pleasant to FPS's. It's amusing how at the time Turok and Goldeneye probably overshadowed Doom 64. In retrospect, just like the original Doom 1-2, Doom 64 holds up flawlessly because of its illusional 2D/3D style. Granted I never played the 64 original, but have played both PC conversions Absolution and EX, those are fair comparisons to the Turok remaster... and Doom 64 is on another level of fun for me. But I'm a sucker for Doom.

Did anyone play Quake 64? I watched a video comparing all the versions of it and it looks pretty solid. Interesting how the N64 got Quake 1, and the PSX got Quake 2.