How is your N64 gaming going?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ESauced
64-bit

Re: How is your N64 gaming going?

Post by ESauced »

I'm strongly considering one of those controllers now. I told myself I wouldn't do any more kickstarters but that looks so awesome.

I broke out the 64 tonight with my brother. We pulled out quite a few games and played each one for a bit, including:

Goldeneye: Doesn't hold up as well as some of the library but this will still always be fun on multiplayer to me.
Snowboard kids: Classic game that is in a way fun because of its flaws, rather than in spite of them. It's better with at least 3 players though so we only played one race.
Wave Race: This has held up really well. The graphics obviously aren't as mind-blowing anymore, but the controls are smooth and it's good fun.
Mortal Kombat: Sub Zero: I remember when I was a kid and I just thought this game was really difficult. Now I know it's just really poorly designed. We whipped this out just for kicks, and didn't even make it past the walls that crush you (literally the very beginning of the game).
Mario 64: Timeless. We played a few stars before calling it a night.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

It does look pretty damn sweet! I'm thinking of dropping $40 on it (yup, shipping to the UK allegedly costs the same amount as the controller hmm...).

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Everything about that controller looks wrong to me. But I think I'm the only person on the planet who likes the feel of the original.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

MrPopo wrote:Everything about that controller looks wrong to me. But I think I'm the only person on the planet who likes the feel of the original.

Hello, clearly you are a man of taste, because I too like the feel of the original N64 controller. It's super comfy.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

MrPopo wrote:Everything about that controller looks wrong to me. But I think I'm the only person on the planet who likes the feel of the original.

The original controller is perfectly comfortable. People just can't get over the fact that it has three prongs. They think this...

When they should be thinking this...

N64 2 prong.jpg
N64 2 prong.jpg (36.58 KiB) Viewed 2529 times

Not that the above mock up wouldn't still be an odd looking controller, but you get the idea.

The problem with the Retro Fighters controller and Hori Mini Pad is that they don't understant the L and Z buttons. They both make L and R the primary shoulder buttons, when L is very rarely used. Z and R need to be the primary shoulder buttons!

Also with the Retro Fighters N64 controller, it appears that they're mostly reusing the design of their NES controller. So this clearly wasn't designed for the N64 from the ground up.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I don't have too much of a problem with the original controller. I mean, the 3 pronged design is fine, as bizarre as many people make it out to be, but honestly, come on, those analogue sticks just plain suck.

Mind you, I've played the N64 using controllers that have been modified with modern-style analogue sticks (not sure if they were 360 analogue sticks or what) and it just didn't feel quite right to me (same as when you use a modern controller when playing a N64 emulator), so maybe there's just no escaping those crappy N64 sticks.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I loved the feeling of the original, but it always to me had one gross design flaw, the texture of the thumb stick. If you have hands that sweat at all, once you get a little in those circular grooves it was like trying to thumb an ice cube. It sucked getting killed because the stick would not go where the thumb wanted. I never felt the design sucked otherwise and I don't think that many people back then really cared until sony dropped the later ps1 era dual shock 1 bomb.

I'm just saying I like the design of their controller we're seeing as a general use controller as it looks comfortable plus the 6 face buttons there look just nice in how they're setup. If you're a Dolphin user too it would make for a pretty slick Gamecube replacement without weird kidney shaped buttons I know bugged some people too.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Octangular gate confirmed :)

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That's cool. This controller is looking good. I'll just always have a problem with the L and Z buttons.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

To me it looks like the A and B buttons are too far to the left side too, but I might be wrong.