SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by Exhuminator »

SNESdrunk wrote:I still think it's really unusual that they went through the trouble to provide 2 controllers

Considering Nintendo knew many people would buy a SNES Classic for its open ended emulation capability, I think including two controllers makes sense as an extra layer of allure.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Exhuminator wrote:
SNESdrunk wrote:I still think it's really unusual that they went through the trouble to provide 2 controllers

Considering Nintendo knew many people would buy a SNES Classic for its open ended emulation capability, I think including two controllers makes sense as an extra layer of allure.

I'm curious to know what percentage of SNES Classic buyers that would be. Most of them? Or is that kinda overblown, and there's a lot of soccer moms buying this for their kids just because it's the latest in-demand thing to have? (I'm legit asking because I really don't know)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

SNESdrunk wrote:I'm curious to know what percentage of SNES Classic buyers that would be. Most of them?

I can only speak anecdotally, but everyone I know who owns a SNES Classic has hacked it for unofficial ROM usage.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I intend to, but I haven't, yet. And I didn't buy it with the expectation that I would. I bought it because it had some higher-profile titles that are getting more expensive that I don't own and don't want to get on original cartridge at current prices.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:I didn't buy it with the expectation that I would.

No, but now that everyone knows it can, I wager plenty more folks will buy the system for that purpose. I believe Nintendo anticipated this situation.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'd certainly be tempted to hack it if I had one, but given that I have a SD2SNES and the special chip games I care about, there's a good chance I'd leave it stock as well.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I don't think the 2nd controller is that odd as you have quite a few. Stuff like Contra 3, Secret of Mana and Kirby Super Star are cooperative. Then you have 2P competitive etc with SF2T, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong Country. Japan has +3 more with Mystical Ninja, Super Soccer and Tetris Attack.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I've had mine for a couple of days now.

I'm happy with it but I do find myself cycling through the menu's thinking either "played it to death" or "haven't time for that now".

I will definately hack it eventually but I'm waiting for confirmation of a stable idiot proof way.

I'm also still a little confused by the display options. I've found CRT to look the most authentic but a little too blurry at times. The other two 4:3 and Pixel Perfect don't seem quite right to my eyes. The first is too clean and the second is crisper but the scale seems off somehow.

One thing that has impressed me is the vibrancy of the colours which I don't think I've ever seen in such detail before. Especially in something like F-Zero.

I love that we have the 60hz roms but it is a little odd when, for example, Kirby tells me that I should "press those purple things" and I'm holding a controller with the regular PAL/SFX colours.

Played about 5 minutes of Starfox 2 and wasn't impressed. Will have to give it a longer burst soon. Spent the most time on Super Mario Kart so far. Luigi is still a cheating bastard! :twisted:
marurun

Post by marurun »

That's because with pixel perfect the scale IS off. The games were designed to be played on 4x3 TVs, so playing them in 1x1 is going to change how everything looks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yep, marurun is right. Pixel perfect mode is basically an 8:7 aspect ratio. It's a little more squashed. Sometimes that's better, sometimes it's not. But 4:3 mode is the "proper" way to play (or CRT, but I don't usually like fake CRT effects).

I think the latest version of hakchi2 is pretty close to foolproof, from what I've read. There are still games that don't work with the internal core, so they've taken to installing RetroArch cores for the games that don't work. I'm still curious as to whether Terranigma would work with the 60Hz patch applied.