SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
harper
Next-Gen

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by harper »

samsonlonghair wrote:
Hi harper,

You're the first person I know who has experienced this problem, but on the other hand, I'm not the foremost expert in the subject.

Here's what I would do if I was in your position: I would try to reset my SNES mini back to factory defaults. You will loose your save files, but your SNES mini should work just like new. Nintendo has a support document online that details the steps to take to reset your system.

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work but I just did some research and figured out that it could be because I used a hack to disable the thumbnails at the bottom of the screen, for some reason it causes the system to lag. But apparently there is a fix. So I'll mess with that later. Haha
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

The wingman you can switch to at any time. It is both an extra life, but also if you pick one of different ability an ace in the hole for a situation they're better suited for.

The powered charging shot is an earned item, it's not free from the start because it makes the game asininely easy even on harder modes.

The pepper coins are spread over the multiple difficulties because more areas open up on harder levels which house them. The coins unlock a hidden town scape of sorts which has restorative stuff (refill bombs, refill shields, twin blasters) and unlocking the charged shot.

The only way to best rank the game is the hardest difficulty as far as I know, but perhaps 99-100% perfection one difficulty down may do it too, not sure.

Also Harper if you want to run a hacked device there's a new method that should stop your issue. You can now use an USB bypass adapter. It plugs into the jack on the rear of your system, and the other side has the plug for your wire to your ac adapter. On the side though, normal USB port like on a computer. Install hakchi2 to your SNES CE, then throw the ROMs and everything you'd ever want on a USB thumb device. The system due to hakchi will boot the thumb drive instead and run the games/saves off that leaving your system guts (base hack aside) untouched.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I had a shot at Hard mode on Starfox 2 today and I can see what you mean, Tanooki. It's a lot more hectic. I also discovered I've been playing with a major handicap as I didn't know you could charge up a shot! Since figuring that out I'm starting to get the hang of it and dogfighting has become a little more like space jousting, although I haven't been able to make it halfway across the map yet in Hard mode. It's so frenetic that I haven't even landed on a planet yet. Haven't got past a low E on that one yet!
Returning to Normal mode things were a lot easier and I got a high 'C' grade which is probably the nearest to a perfect score you can get on that one.

I've been using it as my cool-off game in between long sessions reacquainting myself with 16 bit Hyrule. I will retract my "bit rubbish" comment though as I am starting to appreciate the game for what it is. It does take some getting used to though, perhaps because the only other Starfox games (I don't count Adventures) I've played are the two rail shooters.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Thanks for trying it on the nasty difficulty. I haven't attempted it in awhile as I just had a cart made years ago of it which basically is the same game with the unlockable homing shot open from the start. The game is tough, far more tough than the other SF titles because you have to stay on top of things and due to it being all range mode for most the game. It's as you said a joust, a true dogfighting game and not a rail gunner.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Also was able to get a SNES Classic for the holidays. Was with family and friends on Christmas, so we mostly played Mario Kart that day.

Since then, I've been binging on Secret of Mana. Never had the original cart and never played through on a rom, so the game's been a new experience for me. I think I'm close to the end of the game ... just finished the Palace of Darkness.

Played a little of Super Mario World, Star Fox, Contra, and Mega Man X.

I wish Legend of Mystical Ninja, TMNT: Turtles in Time, and Chrono Trigger were on here, but I feel like I've got enough games to mess around with so I think I'm going to keep it stock for now.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:Thanks for trying it on the nasty difficulty. I haven't attempted it in awhile as I just had a cart made years ago of it which basically is the same game with the unlockable homing shot open from the start. The game is tough, far more tough than the other SF titles because you have to stay on top of things and due to it being all range mode for most the game. It's as you said a joust, a true dogfighting game and not a rail gunner.

I've beaten it twice now with a 'C' ranking on Hard but It takes a good forty to fifty minutes of real time and it's quite frenetic and exhausting. On both my runs Corneria ended up taking last minute damage to mess up my score.
Reading about it I think the design of the game is that you are supposed to play through campaigns finding all the coins and only then can you realistically stand a chance to get the best ranks. I'm pretty sure that with luck I could get to 'B' without unlocking the armoury secret base but I don't think I'll be unlocking expert any time soon.

I'm starting to enjoy the walker based stuff though. I like how there is an almost pilotwings style to some of it with the landing and transforming. I've never played Vortex yet but is it comparable to this game?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Not really. I used to own Vortex back in the day when I had few hundred games per console. That game if you think SF2 was chop, will feel like stop animation with more stop than animation. It's playable but you have to work with it, it's not slow and react a second early bad like Stunt Race FX though. It has some SF2 like elements as you can be ground based or fly around, but other than space, a few modes, and shooting stuff, it's doesn't feel similar but it's an alright game.

It's nice to see you're digging into SF2 and realizing there's more there. I think that was Nintendo's stupid failing on that game, cutting out any form of challenge and 1/2 of what you can do(should do) with the game on default normal mode. Had they had the viruses, but just the game being a lot less pushy and persistent while still allowing more worlds/battleships it would have formed a more approachable bond to it.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Used my snow day from work to finish Secret of Mana ... great game! I wish there was a little more variety in the bosses and enemies throughout the game, and deeper a plot but still a fun play through, really enjoyed it.

My timing on the last boss was a little off at first with the mana sword magic, so had to give it two tries.

Think I'll play through Earthbound next.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Note wrote:Used my snow day from work to finish Secret of Mana ... great game! I wish there was a little more variety in the bosses and enemies throughout the game, and deeper a plot but still a fun play through, really enjoyed it.

My timing on the last boss was a little off at first with the mana sword magic, so had to give it two tries.

Think I'll play through Earthbound next.

Have you played earthbound before? I beat it for the first time very recently and absolutely loved it. I tried once before and just couldn't get into it, but definitely is one of my favorite games on the system.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Not that I've been looking hard, but I still have yet to see these in the wild. I don't think I'm going to buy one at this point, either.

(Now that I've said that, I'll see one and be sorely tempted to buy it.)