SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by Tanooki »

Oh I agree it's a problem when you have a large library. Something smaller like Hucards or N64 games it's not as much of an issue even if you have them all if all really aren't worth that much of your time yet the option being there is nice. The fact they worked out a USB adapter/pass through work around to the storage problem is huge. Just look at that N64 controller, then imagine doing CPS1/2 games, Neo Geo, various other MAME entries, other consoles, handhelds, old computers. You basically have a nice little Pi-like box in the end if you just care about a Pibox for emulation.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Retaining classic controller interoperability seems like it would make a nice setup for other systems.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well it opens up a world of nice arcade joysticks for one.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:Try playing it on a harder level. They don't really respond any more nasty, but they throw more at you and a big twist in the play out on it as well. They will multiply the number of worlds, battleships, and other stuff tossed at you plus a new element. There's an andross made virus that'll hit that defensive platform which will then turn and rock Corneria and you'll need to return to that spot an blast the viruses clear of the platform.

I gave it another shot today and finished the normal difficulty, which I know is still only a snapshot of the game based on your comments. A lot of my complaints still stand based on that snapshot although I'm starting to appreciate more of a picture of the kind of game they were going for.

The original game for me was full of tightly plotted spectacular set-pieces and that's what makes this series of small encounters quite difficult to stomach for me. the original was also packed with incidental detail to offset the rough polygons. Even the first battle on Corneria had so much going on, with the lumbar carrying robots that you felt were just going about their business and the alien pilots who came flying our of their exploded vessels. Then there were the surreal secrets like the space bird and 'Out of this Dimension'. Here (at least so far) there's nothing that feels quite so detailed and textured. It feels like a rather empty unpopulated universe full of bland planets and ordinary enemies...and the dogfighting is really awful.

I am a little more intrigued after finishing it by the final score (I got a rather uninspiring 'D', which suggests that I didn't do a lot of things I ought to have done.) and things I don't yet understand like the collectible tokens that seem to accumulate towards something. It feels like it was designed to be played many times and using multiple characters and paths. I will keep playing it before I give it a final assessment.

The graphics though, do strike me as far rougher and jarring than the original.

In other news I also polished off Secret of Mana for the first time ever (after getting bored and giving up twice on my original runs) so I'm 9/21 on my Snes Classic run.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

samsonlonghair wrote:Yeah, but when you dump the entire library on there, you never play 'em. Better to have a hundred good choices than nine thousand mediocre choices. :wink:

On the other hand, it is pretty neat that you can play so many other systems. :D

I have noticed that since I've added more games and stuff that my system kinda stalls a bit when I turn it on and when I reset it. Anybody know if this is normal? I haven't put anything crazy on it. Just about 9 more Snes games and maybe 15 or so nes games.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Betagam7 wrote:I gave it another shot today and finished the normal difficulty, which I know is still only a snapshot of the game based on your comments. A lot of my complaints still stand based on that snapshot although I'm starting to appreciate more of a picture of the kind of game they were going for.

I am a little more intrigued after finishing it by the final score (I got a rather uninspiring 'D', which suggests that I didn't do a lot of things I ought to have done.) and things I don't yet understand like the collectible tokens that seem to accumulate towards something. It feels like it was designed to be played many times and using multiple characters and paths. I will keep playing it before I give it a final assessment.

Starfox 2 only allows at best I believe a C or a very low B rank for near perfection on normal (Easy) mode, and up from there. You can't get the best ranks without going into it on the more complete modes as a bit of a reward/punishment. It's like other games from then if you play easy mode it shuts off and says try a harder mode in those days after so many stages or worse when completed.

It does look rougher, but it's because they updated the visuals. The old FX1 chip title Starfox used the basic setup given to that and had harder limitations. The faster FX2 also allowed for more memory too and in turn allowed for more/better detailed textures on top of polygons. That's something the old one just didn't do, it was all just flat shaded or dithered polygons and your detail was in the overlaid sprites. Starfox2 puts art, decals, emblems, and other fluff on the 3D objects directly so they look rough.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

harper wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Yeah, but when you dump the entire library on there, you never play 'em. Better to have a hundred good choices than nine thousand mediocre choices. :wink:

On the other hand, it is pretty neat that you can play so many other systems. :D

I have noticed that since I've added more games and stuff that my system kinda stalls a bit when I turn it on and when I reset it. Anybody know if this is normal? I haven't put anything crazy on it. Just about 9 more Snes games and maybe 15 or so nes games.

Hi harper,

You're the first person I know who has experienced this problem, but on the other hand, I'm not the foremost expert in the subject.

Here's what I would do if I was in your position: I would try to reset my SNES mini back to factory defaults. You will loose your save files, but your SNES mini should work just like new. Nintendo has a support document online that details the steps to take to reset your system.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:I gave it another shot today and finished the normal difficulty, which I know is still only a snapshot of the game based on your comments. A lot of my complaints still stand based on that snapshot although I'm starting to appreciate more of a picture of the kind of game they were going for.

Starfox 2 only allows at best I believe a C or a very low B rank for near perfection on normal (Easy) mode, and up from there. You can't get the best ranks without going into it on the more complete modes as a bit of a reward/punishment. It's like other games from then if you play easy mode it shuts off and says try a harder mode in those days after so many stages or worse when completed.

It does look rougher, but it's because they updated the visuals. The old FX1 chip title Starfox used the basic setup given to that and had harder limitations. The faster FX2 also allowed for more memory too and in turn allowed for more/better detailed textures on top of polygons. That's something the old one just didn't do, it was all just flat shaded or dithered polygons and your detail was in the overlaid sprites. Starfox2 puts art, decals, emblems, and other fluff on the 3D objects directly so they look rough.

I had another shot at it today and beat it on Normal for a second time. I used Peppy and Slippy this time and it was a lot tougher than my first run with Fox and Falco. Peppy seems much slower than the two leads and it took me much longer to beat the game. I still got a 'D' although I was one dot away from a C so i guess I didn't do too badly (Despite the length it was my top score so far). I've gotten 6 of the Pepper tokens now. I will try to get a 'C' on the 'Normal' Mode then move on to tackle hard.

Is there any point to your wingman in this game? They don't seem to show up outside of cutscenes so are they just the game's equivalent of an extra life?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The wingman is your extra life. I'd also try out the two newcomers; their ships are fast with a good lock on.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

MrPopo wrote:The wingman is your extra life. I'd also try out the two newcomers; their ships are fast with a good lock on.

I read that the lock-on has been disabled in the finished version. Or rather it needs to be (ahem) unlocked. Am I thinking of something else?