SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by Betagam7 »

I wonder if we'll see an N64 classic, this time next year. If we do I'd estimate a similar price hike to $100 and an even slimmer line-up of games.

The complexity of the controller could be something of a factor though.

I also wonder if we'll see the SNES classic pop up in clone format as quickly as we did with the NES classic on Aliexpress...
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Ziggy587 wrote:It is likely that the version of the game we'll get on the SNES Classic will be from a more recent version of the game than what we've had previously. It could have more features than the beta version, including the missing multiplayer mode. And I'm assuming it will be more polished.

I've played a lot of the hacked beta Star Fox 2. I didn't find it to be too much fun, but again, I felt like it was a beta version and the game could have been polished out a little more.

According to one of the original dev's it should be the "mastered" version: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ic_edition

I've also played Star Fox 2 rom hacked and I can't wait to compare and contrast the snes classic polished version...if I'm able to get a SNES mini that is :?
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

I've got a confirmed pre-ordered with the Nintendo store just in case but also a few pre-orders elsewhere. Want one to play (and modify) and one for keeping sealed. There's no way that this thing isn't going to go up in value. The rest (if I manage to get them in) will go to friends as presents.

Despite owning all the games on the SNES Mini including StarFox2 I'm still excited for it. There's a few people naysaying with "just get a retro-pi" or similar but it's just not the same.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Betagam7 wrote:I wonder if we'll see an N64 classic, this time next year. If we do I'd estimate a similar price hike to $100 and an even slimmer line-up of games.

The complexity of the controller could be something of a factor though.

I also wonder if we'll see the SNES classic pop up in clone format as quickly as we did with the NES classic on Aliexpress...

Possibly, but it would require a beefier SoC than the Cortex A7 that other minis use in my opinion. Depends on how well the emulator for N64 is. Considering there are very few games released for Wii U VC for N64 I'd say that the emulator for HD scale is in its infancy. I wouldn't expect to see it any time soon.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

When the NES CE came out people started hacking it almost instantly. Originally people thought N64 wouldn't work, but it did just not well. But someone got to further tweaking/hacking away at an N64 emulator and ultimately they got it at a consistent smooth 60fps and was playing Mario Kart, Mario 64, and a few others in a youtube proof of concept video.

If some amateur guy on the side could get the NES CE to do N64, I can't see why Nintendo themselves couldn't exploit it either if they cared to bother with it.

Personally I think if they dared to hit that $100 price point and grew some balls, they'd jump into a locked down Gameboy, Color, Advance type train of releases. Imagine a closed up released Gameboy again from Nintendo, maybe an 8bit one that had a spread of GB+GBC titles on it with a lit up panel(GBA 'Brighter' style) to keep costs low... then maybe a year later a GBA only one, same thing.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Tanooki wrote:If some amateur guy on the side could get the NES CE to do N64, I can't see why Nintendo themselves couldn't exploit it either if they cared to bother with it.

A key difference is that someone hacking a device can't just spec something better to start with. Plus, if it didn't work 100%, well, it's a hack. A retail product is a bit different, and Nintendo could likely deliver better results by simply using higher spec hardware.

That said, N64 and on seems more likely to be remastered for newer systems instead (given that Nintendo has done that a bit already). I agree that a more likely, logical path for them after the SNES Classic will be portables.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

N64 is a tricky one in my opinion. So many of the "definitive" games that system is known for will have licensing issues, especially with the Rare issue...

I couldn't imagine a N64 mini without games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day etc. Yeah, it'll have Mario, Zelda, probably a Mario Party title, Super Smash Bros, but is it enough?

The other issue, which is probably just a minor thing, but would they do with the controller? The N64 controller has aged badly, but I couldn't imagine a redesign. At the least, they'd have to change the analogue stick to what we consider normal now, but that would change the 'feel' for a lot of purists and those wanting a true nostalgic experience.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Reprise wrote:I couldn't imagine a N64 mini without games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day etc. Yeah, it'll have Mario, Zelda, probably a Mario Party title, Super Smash Bros, but is it enough?

Hard to say. On top of Rare, there were other big licensed games (Star Wars ones offhand).

There are probably some of the middle ground ones like the DKC related titles that couldn't be on Rare Replay I suppose. Probably a few things like the Cruisin' titles, Pokemon stuff, and so on. Still, I think a caveat is that some of the bigger potential inclusions like the Zelda games have ports recent enough to still be on store shelves.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, I can't see an N64 one, either. It's also my least favorite Nintendo system, outside of the Virtual Boy. A ton of stuff on there hasn't aged well at all.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I could see an N64 one, but it would have to be very carefully curated, and there would likely be less 3rd party involvement. I mean, some N64 titles have done well on the various Virtual Consoles.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.